Bleach Hereafter RPG

New Dogs, Old Tricks (Open 2)

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Dec 18, 2022 11:24:48 GMT -5

There was a slight gathering in power when the second Shinigami appeared ready to draw his sword. She wasn’t about to allow a Quincy to be struck down just for existing in the same space as a Shinigami, but thankfully, it didn’t come to that. Niji gave the new Shinigami a condescending smirk as he spoke about forbidden fraternization. Clearly those rules didn’t apply to higher ranking Shinigami, given the amount of times she had spoken with them.

As they departed, she shook her head and turned back to the Quincy, ”Well, that went about as well as can be expected with a Shinigami. Those creatures are known as hell hounds, normally they retrieve souls that have managed to escape Jigoku, but in the last year or so there has been an increase in them.”

The woman considered the spot where the pack leader had been destroyed, ”And they have been hunting any beings with spiritual energy, not just sinners. They are not that much stronger than a normal hollow; so it is not particularly dangerous if you know to take out the pack leader. When their leader is slain, it returns to Jigoku with its pack.”

Niji moved from the hood of her car and started towards the driver side, "Do you need a lift, Miss Quincy?"

Player

I have nothing to say.

Vaera Vael Avatar

Vaera Vael

Post by Vaera Vael on Dec 18, 2022 15:03:17 GMT -5

Well, the Shinigami's explanation was sorely lacking in detail and explanation of anything beyond the bare basics. Vaera frowned a little, openly showing her displeasure with his answer even as a third figure appeared far too quickly just beside her. In fact, as her amber eyes swiveled to take in and assess this newcomer, he'd already had his hand on his sword! A sharp squeak escaped her throat, and too many things happened at once to recount them all as any more than a panicked flinch.

The bangle around Vaera's wrist came to life, emanating a soft glow as she rebuilt the small crossbow in her free hand, and a faint wind whipped around them both as she pulled a cloud of reishi in close to defend herself... from the sword that never left its sheathe.

Vaera released the breath she realized she had been holding for several seconds, but kept her bow in hand for a little while longer. While the two men talked back and forth briefly, she tried and failed to steady the subtle shaking in her left hand, not to mention unclench her jaw and slow her racing heart; the latter which seemed to have moved to its new home in her throat.

All those things seemed to come with time, after the masked woman had properly explained what had happened with the hounds before offering a ride in her car. Vaera, still shaken by the experience, could only manage to squeak out a soft "Ja bitte" while she let her feet carry her to the woman's vehicle.

"Oh! Um," she stammered, still finding it difficult to speak with her heart racing inside of her throat. Finally, just about the time her now emptied left hand reached the door handle, she managed, "My name's Vaera." She probably should have been a little more wary of the stranger whose car she was now climbing into, but her shaken nerves could only think about the Shinigami and his sword that had almost been drawn against her. Her Mama had said to be careful around them, but she never had much reason to listen.

Now, she did, she supposed.

"I, um... I'm staying at a motel just off the highway." She was recovering, slowly, but clutched the plastic bag in her lap a little more closely while she tried to force a smile. "I can give directions, if you need them."

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Dec 18, 2022 20:58:50 GMT -5

Despite the frozen mask covering the top half of her face, the woman still gave Vaera a soft smile as she fastened her seatbelt. She pulled out her phone and set it into the dashboard mount, ”Just the motel would be sufficient, Miss Vaera. The GPS can get us the rest of the way.”

The Quincy provided her with the motel name, and the phone began providing the directions in turn. Niji pulled out from where she had pulled the car over and made her way onto the highway. The Fullbringers voice was soft and kind, but also held a faint hint of gentle reproach, ”I do appreciate you coming to my rescue. It was kind and brave, but also incredibly dangerous. If the second one had not been trying to counter the accusation of a late arrival he might have been paying enough attention to notice you were a Quincy.”

Her voice grew colder, briefly matching the unmelting mask on her face, ”I have encountered Shinigami that would try to cut you down merely due to your heritage. I imagine you saw the arrogance in both of them, and many Shinigami are cut from the same cloth. Convinced they are the sole arbiters of what is right in the realms of the living and the dead. I am glad they left without incident.”

She shook her head as she passed a slow moving car, ”It is possible you will not be so lucky next time. So please; be more careful in the future.”

Player

I have nothing to say.

Vaera Vael Avatar

Vaera Vael

Post by Vaera Vael on Dec 19, 2022 14:59:30 GMT -5

No sooner had she given the name of the motel that the GPS spat out directions, and they were off. Vaera fell quiet for a few moments, thinking on the last couple of minutes or so and processing what had happened. Meanwhile, however, the stranger kept talking. Vaera nodded along and hummed in agreement at the mention of the men's arrogance, and the insinuation that they would've attacked had they not been so preoccupied with themselves. She didn't like to think that way, but it was hard not to after seeing it for herself.

"I will." She nodded again, and swallowed what remained of the lump in her throat. She took another breath as she looked out the window at the slow moving car beside them, then turned her attention back to the driver. Now that things were quiet and slow again, her mind was beginning to catch up to the situation, and she was growing a little curious.

"So, um... Excuse me, but what are you?" Perhaps not the most tactful of phrases, but it had been uttered. Her amber eyes looked the woman over carefully, spending a lot of time analyzing the frozen half-mask covering her eyes but not her mouth. She had sworn the woman had felt like a Hollow before, but nothing she had done was like any Hollow she'd fought with, and she certainly wasn't acting like one now. Hence, the young woman's confusion on the subject.

If the woman had looked her way, she would even go so far as to gesture to her own face around the edges of where the woman's mask would fit on herself.

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Dec 19, 2022 18:26:17 GMT -5

Niji kept her eyes on the road, because she was a good driver; but she could hear the woman’s concern in her voice. It was a harmless enough question, and there was no sense in hiding the information; she’d probably find out from someone eventually, might as well get it from a source that wouldn’t try to deceive her; ”There have been many names for people like me throughout history. The current term in vogue for the spiritual world is ‘Fullbringer.’”

The GPS indicated the exit was coming up, and Niji started switching lanes, ”Fullbringers, like Quincy, are fully mortal; bodies of flesh and bone, not reishi. Unlike Quincy, it has nothing to do with our bloodline or heritage. Current understanding is that Fullbringers were exposed to a significant amount of spiritual energy while in the womb. Hollow, Quincy, Shinigami, or even another Fullbringer, it does not have any impact on their abilities, every Fullbringer has different abilities. My mother was near a hollow attack while pregnant, and I started developing my abilities about a decade ago.”

The woman flicked on her turn signal as she started onto the exit towards the motel. She had not made any reference to the ice mask, and it didn't seem to bother her at all.

Player

I have nothing to say.

Vaera Vael Avatar

Vaera Vael

Post by Vaera Vael on Dec 20, 2022 15:34:53 GMT -5

"Makes sense." Vaera mumbled aloud, though it most certainly did not make any sense to her. If Just being around spiritual energy was enough to give humans powers, then wouldn't there have been a lot more of them to begin with? At least, she should've met other Fullbringers like the masked woman -did she call herself Gaia before?

Oh well. Either way, it did help to take her mind off the Shinigami for a little while.

"So, your power is to make ice, then?" She continued to think aloud as the driver navigated their exit. "Cool!" A small grin curved her mouth, and she punctuated her openly given opinion with a giggle. It was kind of similar to her own abilities as a Quincy, she supposed; only, Gaia made things from ice instead of reishi. She wondered briefly how much ice the woman could make at once, and if she was as versatile with it as a Quincy.

By now, the Shinigami had been pushed to the back of her mind in favor of this new information.

"That doesn't quite explain the ma- Wait." Her thoughts answered her own question as she was in the middle of asking it. "If your powers come from a Hollow, then do you need the mask to use them?" Of course, there was also the simpler explanation that Gaia didn't want her identity found out, hence the mask, but that was much less of a fun answer.

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Dec 20, 2022 19:53:05 GMT -5

Clearly, Vaera was not particularly familiar with the spiritual world; true, Fullbringers were not particularly common, but they weren’t unheard of. She had been in that situation not too long ago, and Niji was familiar with the veritable deluge of information. The woman gave the young lady an enigmatic smile regarding her powers, Keeping to a simple angle of attack, ice, wind, stone, spirits; it made her harder to identify in any sort of pattern encounters with spiritual beings. If this young lady thought her power revolved around ice, if she was comparing notes that had seen her fight solely with fire would be less likely to connect them.

As they pulled into the motel parking lot, Niji shook her head, ”No, the mask is just for my protection. I generally prefer not to be recognized, Gaia is the alias I use in the spiritual world, not my real identity. Keeping my mortal life and spiritual life separated is just simpler.”

As she parked, the woman reached into the back seat, pulled her purse forward, and rummaged through it for a moment. She pulled out a thin white rectangle, and handed it to the young lady. It was a business card, with GAIA in big block letters, and a phone number and an e-mail address from a popular temporary e-mail site. ”Feel free to call if you get into trouble, or shoot me an e-mail if you have questions that I can help you with.”

Player

I have nothing to say.

Vaera Vael Avatar

Vaera Vael

Post by Vaera Vael on Dec 20, 2022 20:16:23 GMT -5

"Oh," she breathed an only slightly disappointed sigh at the revelation that the woman's mask was, in fact, just a mask. Did she particularly want Gaia to be more like a Hollow? Of course not! Still, it was a little more... mundane than she had been theorizing. It did make sense, though, to want to keep her lives separate from one another. Vaera didn't have a whole lot of things going on to necessitate the idea herself, but she could sympathize with it.

By now, they had pulled up in front of the motel where she was staying. Before she could open her door, however, Gaia had reached back to retrieve something from her purse, and was now handing a business card to her. Vaera took it and gave it a quick glance, especially noticing that the woman's alias was on it and not her actual name, before dropping it into her bag for safe keeping.

"Will do!" She smiled at the very kind woman, and fumbled with the door for a moment before finding the handle nestled away in all the plastic. It was only when she was looking away and climbing out from the car that she mentally kicked herself for her choice of response. Before she closed the door again, however, she leaned back down to address the woman, "Oh, and thank you for the ride, and for talking with me." Another smile, and she closed the door so that Gaia could be on her way.

A small giggle escaped her as she turned towards the motel. How had helping a stranger to fend off monster dogs turned into thanking her for her help and getting a number if she needed her in the future? Oh! She stumbled for a moment, remembering the card now at the bottom of the plastic bag held in her hand. She'd gotten a pretty woman's phone number... Another giggle betrayed her innermost thoughts, which she brushed aside until she could get back to her room.
Last Edit: Dec 20, 2022 20:19:02 GMT -5 by Vaera Vael