PLAYER

Soldat

I have nothing to say.

eisa steinfeld Avatar

eisa steinfeld

Post by eisa steinfeld on Sept 26, 2020 18:24:58 GMT -5

Mood Music: Click here

Santa Maria Alemannorum Hospital, Schatten Bereich

Disturbed dreams of blood and fire wrought themselves in Eisa's mind, for a time. But as her body healed, slowly, so did her mind. Dark, troubled visions gave way to blissful, quiet emptiness, which in turn now opened itself once more, slowly, to the white light of cold waking in reality.

Blinking her eyes, the exhausted Quincy found herself between soft cotton sheets, in a room of blue and white, immaculate in its cleanliness and eerie in its silence. A solitary window faced out onto a sky as pale as snow, and a single potted plant provided the only colour in a room speckled with all the shades of winter.

The room and bed were unfamiliar to her. But she could tell, from past experience and her senses, exactly where she was.

I'm...home.

She looked across, and noticed the incongruity of modern medical equipment. An EEG beeped softly, a line tracing itself into her arm, monitoring her heart-rate. In a room bare of life and humanity, shaped by stark gothic angles, the presence of something as comfortingly...human as technology was as unusual as the single plant, whose mottled green leaves seemed to be almost offensive, set against so white and grey a world.

As more of her senses returned to her, she felt the pain of wounds, old and new alike, though healed, their memory remained in her mind.

Memories and dreams assailed her afresh, but she pushed them back vigorously. A more pressing concern filled her attention.

She wore only a thin, shapeless white hospital gown, which did not cover her body fully. She was uncomfortably aware that her rear and her legs were quite bare, and Eisa felt the still cold air of the world she was undoubtedly in.

More even than that though, her stomach rumbled.

"I'm...hungry."

Vocalising the thought and feeling aloud, it became obvious that a significant amount of time had passed since...since everything.

A day? two days? Longer?

With protesting limbs, the still-sore Quincy warrior tried to rise from her bed, the thin chord in her arm stretching.

"Tetsuo! I have to..Osaka...Es tut mir so leid...."

Groaning, she placed a weak, shaky bare foot on the cold ground, gasping at its almost icy texture. This was definitely the Schatten Bereich, all right.

A cold world, shaped by Reishi, an exilic home both pristine and alien, scattered with smatterings of portal-imported humanity.

Everything in this world was artificial, unnatural. Even the ice was, ultimately, imported. Residual moisture and water brought in over the centuries by its human colonists, the only thing that truly belonged to this realm was its constant, unyielding cold.

A reminder that there was no sun, no earth's core. Only a strange, ever permeable light that filled a void.

And within that void, a city of stone, crystal, and other, stranger materials, where her family and kin resided.

Exiles from earth, and warriors against death.

And now here she was, back again. A failed warrior, and an uncertain exile from her regular life.

Grimly, she forced her frail, weakened body to take more steps along the cold floor, towards the door.

She needed at least two things, then.

Information, and food.

Fortunately, as she reached the door, it began to open, admitting a (what else?) white-aproned nurse, with a familiar silver-cross insignia on her hat and on her breast-pocket.

"Ah! Leutnant! You must rest!" The sister of the Sanitazstaffel rushed to her side, thick hands forcing her back to her sick-bed.

"Ah...Schwester...Ich muste lehren gehaben..."

"Keine es dat. Du geschlaffen, ja?"

Groaning from the pain, Eisa reluctantly allowed the concerned nurse to help her back to where she had lain.

"Please.....at least bring me some news. What of my husband? Of...of the city I fought for?"

The nurse gave her a sympathetic look.

"I'm...sorry, but I was told to say nothing untill your General has debriefed you."

Eisa's eyes went hard and cold then. So. She was to speak with Weizarth himself, then.

"Then...if I cannot have information, may I at least have some food?"

The Nurse allowed herself a small smile. "Of course. I will bring you some Erbswurst and hard bread, and a glass of water. But you must rest, Frau Steinfeld. You have been through a very great ordeal."

"I...know. And...thank you."

"It is my pleasure to serve." The Nurse said formally, giving a fist-from-chest salute, in the old Quincy style. She then turned, giving a short backwards glance at Eisa, before leaving.

Left alone, in a cold, hard room without any distraction, Eisa's thoughts began to race.

I should sleep again. Conserve my energy.

But before she could begin to think about that. the door opened again, and she raised the sheets over herself.

With a gulp, she recognised the older man arriving, though he was flanked by two others in full dress uniform.

Sternritter General Bendemar Weizarth, of the Vorhuts Brigade.

Her boss. Her commanding officer. Her superior. Her godfather.

"Jawohl, mein General." She tried to snap off a salute, but her arms and hands still felt stiff and weak.

Weizarth's expression did not shift. Cold, calculating. Seemingly emotionless. A Perfect soldier.

This was not going to be pleasant....

Last Edit: Sept 26, 2020 18:26:55 GMT -5 by eisa steinfeld

PLAYER

I have nothing to say.

Levin Engel Avatar

Levin Engel

Post by Levin Engel on Sept 26, 2020 20:53:51 GMT -5

Thirty minutes prior, at the second level of the Silbern Fortress.

"I can't believe this!" A young, red haired man spoke up in frustration, sitting on top of a bunk bed. "The living world has torn up, and we aren't even called to deal with whatever is still going down over there!" He shouts to those near to him. Two other boys, Soldats out of their uniform, in a small barrack room with two bunk beds inside. Cold, white walls of stone circle the room, with only one window to look out from.

"It's for the best though, isn't it?" A fellow Soldat spoke up, a curly boy with a blonde hair. "You heard what happened. Destruction, all over the city! We aren't ready for such a battle!" The dread of what could have happened to them had they been sent down there is all too easy to read upon his face, and his tone of voice isn't doing him any favors.

"Of course YOU would say that." The red haired scoffs at his colleague's cowardice, before turning his gaze to the one boy still quiet at the room, currently flipping pages in a book.

"What about you, Levin? You've been silent all day since the news hit!" The redhead exclaims to the lower bunk bed where the boy sits.

It has barely been a couple of hours since the news about what happened in Osaka became a public knowledge, in an attempt to keep the troops calm until enough information was gathered.

What made Levin wary the most, however, was the revelation of who was behind the attacks: Sinners, the denizens of hell. Beforehand, the thought of them being an enemy he may have to face in battle never crossed his mind, nor was he prepared for one.

To try and rectify it, he borrowed a book from one of the libraries in Schatten Bereich, trying to skim through it to find anything useful. Nevertheless, it seems that this book is mostly filled with lore and speculation about the sinners and hell itself. Not finding anything concrete in the book to use against them, Levin sighs and closes the book, raising his face to the upper bunk bed where his colleague is currently sitting.

"By the time the first reinforcements came, the battle was already over. I wanted to be on the front lines just like you, but according to what we heard? They sent those who can best gather intel on what happened at the scene, and attempt to capture any would be hollow that was drawn to the chaos. This suits the Jagdarmee regiment far more than the Vorhut."

Levin puts the book on the bed and lies down to be in his own thoughts. He wholly understands the decisions of his superiors. It would have been a bad idea to send those still not tested in combat to handle an unfamiliar foe and without any knowledge of how many or how strong they are. It is best to send those better trained with information gathering to deal with the aftermath.

He knows all this, be he still feels at unrest, pulling out his quincy cross and holding it tight. He has strived to keep improving, to prove his loyalty- Yet when the chance comes, he is ordered to sit at the sides?

Meanwhile, his redheaded bunkmate has gotten all the more aggravated, displeased to hear Levin excusing their inaction. "Well, I say we should shove those orders up our asses-" The boy almost bites his tongue in shock as his face goes pale, immediately jumping down from the bed, and together with all of the Soldats currently in the barracks salute towards the entrance to the room.

By the door, is the general of the Vorhut brigade.

Bendemar Weizarth.

The general gives a cold stare towards the boy who spoke against their orders, who visibly swallows his own spit out of fear.
Lucky for the loudmouth however, the general didn't come here to give a disciplinary action. Not today, at least.

"Levin Engel." The general speaks in an authoritative tone. "Get in uniform in five minutes and follow me out of the barracks. You'll be debriefed upon destination."

The general left the room and closed the door behind him, leaving Levin's roomates in a state of shock as he started rushing to get dressed.

"What did you do?!" The redheaded one shouts in surprise.

"It was nice knowing you…" The curly, blonde haired boy speaks soon after, suspecting it to be some kind of punishment. After all, in his mind? There is nothing else that would bring the general all the way down to their barracks.

"Hey, hey, let's not get too hasty." Levin tries to calm them down as he dresses up. "If it is a punishment over something I did, someone else who ranks over us could have done it instead."

He puts his coat over his shoulders, while giving a smile in their direction to try and calm them down. A strained one, easy to tell. After all, if it was something else, someone of lower rank than the general could have done it just as well.

The only reason why would the general come all the way here to call for his presence? Was if it is something serious.

Barely having enough time for chatting with his roommates about what it all means, Levin left his room fully dressed, and followed the general as instructed.

--------------------------------

Present time, Santa Maria Alemannorum Hospital, Schatten Bereich

It was a long, silent, and nerve-wracking walk until they reached their destination, with the general not saying even one word to Levin.
When the general opened the door, Levin walked right behind and stood by his side, seeing Eisa for the first time, trying to give a salute to the general and failing.

Uncertain as to what the general is planning, Levin would stand at attention, hands behind his back to perform a diamond shape with the thumb and pointing finger of each hand touching one another.

He'll look towards the general, awaiting further instruction.

Last Edit: Sept 26, 2020 22:33:58 GMT -5 by Levin Engel

PLAYER

Soldat

I have nothing to say.

eisa steinfeld Avatar

eisa steinfeld

Post by eisa steinfeld on Sept 28, 2020 16:13:33 GMT -5

It was to prove a fateful, if awkward meeting. Eisa covered herself as best she was able, embarrassed to be in a hospital gown before a stranger and her superior officer. Still, she took it as her due. It was clear that her performance was not considered...satisfactory.

"At ease." General Weizarth rasped in his cold, Germanic tones. He turned his marble-gaze from the newcomer back to Eisa. Though his own hands were at his sides, his posture was no less rigid. "Unbending Bendemar" they had whispered behind his back in training. His reputation for stiffness and iron discipline were legendary. As one of the oldest serving Sternritter, it was a reputation long earned.

"Lieutenant Steinfeld." He began, his full focus on her. "Normally I would await your full report on the situation. But events have outpaced such procedures. Even so, I would have waited on your recovery. But I am reliably informed you already have."

That made Eisa blink twice. How long had it been? She knew she had been quite badly mauled in the battle, and that it would surely have taken weeks or a great amount of reiatsu to heal her. She gulped. Had the Sanitazstaffel done exactly that? His tone of impatience suggested her recovery had not been a slow one.

"I am not accustomed to explaining myself, or the actions of others. So do not expect much more than this. Suffice to say, the Osaka...Incident has greatly troubled the Council, and the Emperor himself has demanded immediate action."

Eisa paled at that. The Emperor himself...?

"You will of course prepare an appropriate report. But before that, I must inform you both that the conclusion reached from your report has already been decided upon. Step forward, Soldat Engel."

Not waiting to see if Engel had obeyed- for of course he had, obedience was a given- he continued.

"The loss of the Osaka garrison was a sore blow not only to our Brigade but to the Jagdarmee as well. The excuse they gave was that they had no way to anticipate an attack from Hell itself. I gave no excuse, but promised immediate counter action. To that end, while you will be officially augmenting your current position, Lieutenant Steinfeld, you are henceforth a Strike Team with Soldat Engel, and a few other Quincies I expect you will recruit shortly."

Eisa could only sit there, shocked and confused. A strike team? That sounded like a promotion. Although she held the rank of Lieutenant, it was not a command position. Had that changed? 

"The Jagdarmee is likely preparing its own response. The truth is, however,  neither of us know where to start. The Shinigami, however, apparently do. And God alone knows what the Red Lotus and their ilk make of all this." His lips twisted at this.

"You will shortly be discharged, Lieutenant. Soldat Engel will accompany you. I expect you to make all necessary preparations. Once you return to Japan, you are to begin with ending your tenure as a teacher. Henceforth you will be ready, at any time of day or night, to assemble your team and respond to...Unexpected threats. Be it Infernal or otherwise."

"You want...but General..."

The proposition laid before her was overwhelming, and more than a little ridiculous. She knew she had been considered a rising talent, and undoubtably this Engel was too, but to throw only 2 Quincies together, with a vague promise of more, to potentially fight a fresh Hell Incursion, or who knows what else, at a moment's notice...it was far too slapdash to be a plan General Weizarth had put together, surely.

Unless there was something else going on.

"General..." she said shakily, unsure how to begin her next sentence. He would not accept excuses or deviations. That he had stated a thing be done, then it must be done. But perhaps she could at least ask for further information.

"How large is my command to be, General? Where will we be stationed? You mentioned Shinigami and the Red Lotus? Are we to investigate them? What are our mission protocols?"

"You will receive further information in due course." Weizarth said sharply. "For now, you should get accquainted with your soldier, and make preperations to leave. A Portal back to Tokyo will be ready in half an hour. I expect you both to be on your way through it by then."

Weizarth made to leave, and Eisa hurriedly saluted him, though she was still dazed.

As he stood at the doorway, he turned, and half-whispered one last thing.

"Good work on surviving."

With that rare piece of sparse praise, the General left, leaving her with the young Soldat.

"Engel, was it? Is this your first assignment?" She said faintly. She should be elated at the prospect of command, but...

Somehow, she hadn't pictured things going quite like -this-.

PLAYER

I have nothing to say.

Levin Engel Avatar

Levin Engel

Post by Levin Engel on Sept 28, 2020 19:33:56 GMT -5

As the general spoke, Levin stood in silence while gathering his thoughts, stepping forward when called. It was to be expected that an immediate action would be taken, but he didn't expect to get involved in such a sudden, drastic measure.

Not that he can complain, of course- He isn't going to throw away such an opportune moment to show his worth.

However, that does raise one question: Out of all the capable soldats, why him? Did he catch the eye of his superiors, or was it pure coincidence? Or maybe, his parents might have had a hand in it somehow? Whatever is the answer, he shouldn't dally on it- His fellow roommates no doubt would.

As the general takes his leave, Levin gives a salute as well before turning to Eisa. As of this moment, she is the new figure of authority that he needs to adhere to, and thus?

He'll salute, before answering her question.

"Soldat Levin Engel, at your service."

He formally introduces himself, maintaining the salute until told otherwise.

"This will be my first assignment on the living world since the completion of my initial training."

He elaborates. While he has been on the living world before, it was always either as a tour to get familiar with it, or for on the field training with a superior, to watch over in case something goes wrong.

As Levin speaks, it becomes noticeable that the boy has raised his eyes a bit beyond Eisa's eye level. Speaking to her while she's in a hospital gown was awkward to him too, even if the sheets did help cover it up. Speaking to the one who is supposed to command over you for the first time while in that predicament? Does not help in keeping things formal.

"If you prefer, I'll wait outside until you are officially discharged."
He comments, the eyes looking upwards, and trying to maintain a poker face while pinching his lips are clear tell to the reason behind his words.

"If there is anything you want me to do in the meantime, however, just say the word."

He asks her, just in case. She's been stuck in this room since the incident at Osaka, with barely any interaction with anyone else as she recovered, at least from what he could tell. The least he can do is to be there to assist, until she's formally dismissed from the hospital.

Last Edit: Sept 28, 2020 19:35:23 GMT -5 by Levin Engel

PLAYER

Soldat

I have nothing to say.

eisa steinfeld Avatar

eisa steinfeld

Post by eisa steinfeld on Sept 29, 2020 18:38:16 GMT -5

Eisa winced with pain as she rose from her bed, her self-consciousness an impediment she would just have to ignore for now.

"First assignment. I see. My name is Eisa Steinfeld, as you probably already know."

She hobbled over to where the dividers were, and was pleased to find that a fresh uniform and her Quincy Cross were neatly piled there. Alongside it was a quick snack in the form of Eisa's favourite sandwich and a can of Dr.Peppy.

Leave it to Oma Lilia to have such exceptional service in her Hospital. Eisa thought warmly, thinking of the Quincy's legendary Sanitazstaffel General, and her exceptional management of the Medical Corps for the Wandenreich. Not only had she ensured a fresh uniform and a personal weapon was provided for every patient prior to discharge, but she had also thoughtfully provided a pick-me up based on that patient's recorded preferences.

"Wait here while I change." She instructed, taking a quick sip of the soda that she had enjoyed since she was a child. Had it really been so long since she ran through the crystal gardens of the Schatten Bereich without a care? How time had flown.

"We do not have much time to get acquainted, but we will be working closely together for the foreseeable future. As such, I ask that you tell me a bit about yourself while I change. What is notable about you. Hobbies. Knowledge of the Mortal World. Things like that." She said, trying to maintain a cool, professional tone, though her cheeks were heating as she became aware that was she stripping practically naked out of her hospital gown, with only a thin divider between her and the young Quincy soldier.

Awkwardly putting on her skirt, stockings and brassiere, it was naturally her jacket that was an issue, with her zipper causing an issue.

Gott Verdammt, I did -not- put on weight while I was asleep! My measurements have not changed in the last few months.

With shame she had to acknowledge the possibility that her more sedate life and age were seeing her lose some of her "edge" as a trim Quincy soldier, and now more of a civilian and homemaker.

"Engel. I have an awkward request. Consider it a test of our ability to work together in difficult circumstances." She said with strained voice.

"I need you to help with the zipper on the back of my jacket."

She walked backwards carefully, trying to conceal as much of herself as possible while reversing in the general direction of her new subordinate's position.

Once this embarrassing chore had been accomplished, she finished her snack ravenously, set her cap, and made to leave without further word.

"Before we leave for Earth we will need to make some elementary preparations that can only be done here in the Shadow Realm." She said, leading the soldier through the corridors of the Hospital, trying to not let her lingering fatigue and bruises show. She was acutely aware they were on the clock, and while the Sanitazstaffel might have allowed her to rest longer, she had received orders from her General in person. This was not something she could dally on.

"First. The Quartermaster, for provisions and any mission packages. I admit, this is the first time I have begun a new assignment without a clear idea of what or where we will be going, so it may be best to pack for heavy travel." She rubbed her chin, trying to retain laser focus on the scale and scope of her strange and vaguely defined mission to come.

The Sternritter General had hinted that he expected her to recruit more Quincy to this team, rather than that more would necessarily be assigned to her. It was clear she was going to have to improvise a lot, though why such a crucial endeavour was being carried out in so uncharacteristically hodgepodge a manner left her curious. Was this a test of her abilities? Or some strange political move within the council, for the Emperor's favour? She could not begin to comprehend what sort of games the Sternritter might play, if indeed such games were played at all.

And, through it all, there were the yawning personal questions, unaddressed. Where was her husband? Was he allright? Had he been informed of her situation? Why hadn't he visited? Had he been forbidden for some reason? And what of her settled life in Tokyo, Japan? Her pupils?

So many questions, so little time.

She walked briskly in a daze, barely aware of the unfortunate soldier now trailing behind her.

PLAYER

I have nothing to say.

Levin Engel Avatar

Levin Engel

Post by Levin Engel on Oct 1, 2020 6:38:08 GMT -5

Levin stood by as he was told, turning his back against the thin divider so that he won't be able to see just in case. While he knows at least some of those he trained in would be envious to his current predicament right about now, Levin would much rather not risk himself by trying to take a peek.
Besides, he's supposed to work under her as Eisa's subordinate. It is only natural to keep things formal. Or at least, try to…

"Hobbies?"
Levin speaks, crossing his arms over his chest while waiting for to finish dressing up.

"Sport activities are among the first things to come to mind. I know physical training is part of being a soldat, but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy it." Levin says with a calm, casual tone while smiling, just idly chatting about. "That said, I do enjoy light reading and music to pass the time. I've taken an interest in trying to garden, too, but I don't have a place for such an activity yet. Now, as for the Mortal World?"

Levin takes a pause of silence to gather his memories on the matter. "I've never lived there. All I know is from what I was taught in preparation for the work I'll have to do there in time, and from observing it firsthand as part of a tour with a superior. I roughly know about the common gadgets and tools you'll expect to be used by them, and the fact most aren't spiritually aware. That's about it."

He explains, without going into too much detail about the specifics for now. "At the very least, you can rest knowing I won't confuse a car with a hollow." He'll chuckle at the notion. Still, considering how alien the Mortal World could be to someone who never lived in it, or even learned about it in advance? Perhaps it isn't such an absurd notion after all.

Levin stood in silence while pondering what to say next, until Eisa spoke before him:

"I need you to help with the zipper on the back of my jacket."

Unsure if he heard her right, Levin turns halfway to look Eisa's direction- With her back, and the guilty zipper, in front of his eyes.

Oh…

Oh no.

"Just…"
Levin mutters out, wide eyed. There goes any chance of keeping this interaction formal. "One moment."

He first looks towards the entrance door to the room, which was still open from when the general left.
Knowing the type of rumors that would spread if someone were to come by at an inopportune time and see them, he reached out towards the door, and slowly closed it out of embarrassment.

With that taken care of, he'll turn back towards Eisa, take a deep breath in an attempt to calm his body from overreacting to this ludicrous scenario he found himself in, and with steady, swift steps? Walked forward towards Eisa, grabbed both sides of the zipper, and quickly fastened it as a high-pitched zip sound filled the room.

Once done, Levin takes a step back, wait for her to turn around, and with cheeks still a bit reddened by that awkward situation, he states with a deadpan expression.

"Please, don't make it a habit." He requests, still a bit embarrassed about the whole thing.

With the… Clothing issue, taken care of at least, now the two of the two of them can get going, to prepare for their new assignment proper.

As they made their way to the quartermaster, Levin has taken time to think about both his roommates in the barracks, and is parents. While his parents would no doubt be pleased to hear their son has been assigned to help deal with a new threat head on, his roommates' reactions will no doubt be more varied, and more unpredictable.
What could cause the most problem, however, would be them learning that Levin is now a subordinate to an attractive woman, and some of them taking the wrong idea…

Well… He'll handle that theoretical scenario when he'll get there.

"I assume the assignment involves a lengthy stay at the mortal world, correct?" Levin asks as they walk. While it is possible for a quincy to travel between the living world and Schatten Bereich by creating portals with the help of their crosses, it comes at the cost of being unable to use their full power for around five minutes. If they are to work primarily at the Living World, it is best for them to have a place to come back to and rest in that realm whenever they need to.

"Does it mean I'll need to stay at your home?"

As soon as Levin said those words, he felt a sudden shiver, crawling through his spine. As if his own body was telling him something went wrong. By instinct, he turned his head back to see a black-haired boy dressed in clothing similar to Levin's, looking at him with shock.

A fellow Soldat-And one of Levin's roommates.

Levin looks at him with a similar surprised expression to see him here, and before he could say anything, the fellow Soldat jolts away with hasty steps-Towards the barracks, Levin suspects.

It… May be possible his roommate heard him asking about staying at Eisa's house. In fact, Levin is almost positive that is the case, according to the roommate's reaction.

This causes Levin to momentarily froze in place, as the terrifying realization that the fellow soldat will no doubt speak with their shared roommates about his "findings" started sinking in. Nonetheless, he still got an assignment to prepare to, so after taking a deep sigh and accepting his current reality, he gets himself calm again and move onwards, hoping Eisa didn't notice this incident.

She already has a lot on her mind. Last thing he wants is to have her be concerned about the inevitable gossip of his roommates.

PLAYER

Soldat

I have nothing to say.

eisa steinfeld Avatar

eisa steinfeld

Post by eisa steinfeld on Oct 1, 2020 16:53:07 GMT -5

"Lengthy Stay? Most likely. My...previous assignment had me living in the Mortal world for several years." She said, trying hard to keep bitterness out of her voice. Several years she had thought would be blissful and joyful with her new husband, rather than the strained ones they had. At least her career as a teacher had been fulfilling, but now even that was in question.  

She had believed all this time she was still a soldier, of course. And she had certainly not shirked duties involving fighting Hollows or Shinigami. But now she was given command, after so...devastating an experience in Osaka, and it was difficult to maintain that façade.

"Mmm? Oh yes. It will be best for all concerned if you stay close at hand. I am sure we have a spare bed for you, maybe even some spare clothing.  Though we may need a bigger house. And you'll need your own wardrobe, and storage space. Are you of school age? We might need to create a cover story for you." She ran through all the preparations needed, a well honed autopilot. But behind her empty words and rote actions, a growing emotional turmoil was brewing.

She had leapt into action at her General's words, for in truth she had leapt into action on mission after mission, fresh from various sorts of hospital bed or recuperation, many times before.  Before her marriage, before her career as a teacher, she had been part of many Vorhuts missions, both creating a "persona" of herself in the Living World, a legally documented citizen resident in Japan with forged historical documentation "confirming" a childhood in Germany. Like many of the Vorhuts Brigade's deep cover agents and long-term residents in the Mortal World, she could and often had slipped in and out of shell-lives, acting out a role as a teaching assistant, an office worker, a store clerk, a traffic warden, all to observe and act against the enemy when and wherever necessary.

But this time...this time would be different, in more ways than one.

At the Quartermaster's she grabbed the necessary forms, and began requisitioning things, as well as filling in paperwork. She handed a dozen sheets to Engel.

"You say you've been on observation missions before? Good. You should know the procedure. However, this won't be a simple reconnaissance or walking tour. I am afraid we will likely be operating very much alone, on our own initiative, across possibly the entirety of the globe. It is a mission with unlimited scope, unclear end parameters and low chance of reinforcement or re-supply. You were assigned to me for a reason, so I must trust you're up to the scale of this task."

She sighed, her inward struggle to contain the warring imperatives beginning to show outward cracks.  She struggled with the paperwork, her thoughts intruding and threatening to break apart her automata-like routine.

Finally, exasperated, she threw the form down and slammed the pen in its holster.

"Levin..." she began, sorely tempted to just -unload- some of her personal turmoil.

But, seeing him, paying attention to him for the first time, she hesitated, faltering.

"Soldat." She corrected herself again, though in a much softer voice this time.

"This will be a daunting task for us both. We will both be far out of our comfort zones, and struggling to adapt. I...I am used to obeying orders while serving the Reich, and giving instructions as a teacher for schoolchildren while...otherwise occupied." 

She forced herself to sit down, knowing it was going to take a little while for the Quartermaster to find all the supplies, clothing and sundries she had requisitioned anyway. 

"Forgive me If I seem a little...terse." She said.

"I have asked you a little about yourself. Perhaps you would like to know a little about me?"

She crossed her legs, seemingly unmindful of the shortness of her dress skirt, and the Absolute Territory now created between her overknee-boots and smooth, pale skin of the upper thigh. Somewhere in the dark recesses it might even be possible to see a glimmer of her practical grey underwear.

Leaning back in the hard seat, she took off her hat, letting her silver hair fall messily once again. No makeup, no time to properly comb or style it. She had simply thrown on a uniform fresh out of a hospital bed. She felt a little self-conscious now, keenly aware of what a middle-aged mess she must look to him.

God, how am I going to explain all this to Tetsuo? Agh, distract me from these thoughts already!

She adjusted herself uncomfortably, her cheeks reddening, and her gaze avoiding Engel's.

PLAYER

I have nothing to say.

Levin Engel Avatar

Levin Engel

Post by Levin Engel on Oct 1, 2020 18:27:31 GMT -5

So, Levin would indeed live on the same roof as his commander for the foreseeable future it seems. So, if the word would spread to his fellow roommate that he'll be living in the same house as Eisa, at least it wouldn't be wrong?
Either way, this is an issue with his roommates that he'll have to handle at another time.

"I am of eighteen years of age, so the cover story could be me being a fresh graduate, or at the last year of school."

Levin answers her question. Out of those options, a fresh graduate sounds ideal as well. A reasonable cover story and it looks the part. It would also allow him to be free to act whenever duty calls, rather than risk getting spotted whenever he'll need to leave school.
Now, as for the minute details, and forging a history legitimate enough to be believable? Hopefully, all those tidbits will be handled by the quartermaster.

When Levin got the forms, he took his time reading them carefully to make sure he knows what he's filling and for what purpose. Not that it is an easy task of course: There is a lot of explanation and details on those forms, all written in small, compact letters.

As Levin sat down to take his time struggling with the papers, his focus on them changed to Eisa when she said his name. The woman in front of him now is clearly distracted with multiple, different thoughts and worries. Not that he can't understand why- Being given such an important task moments after coming out of the hospital bed you were stuck to for days? Would make just about anyone feel they didn't have a single moment to let everything sink in.

"You don't need to apologize, first of all."

Levin says calmly, smiling sincerely as his lime-colored eyes look at direction at roughly eye level. Instead of his eyes focusing downward, he instead looks up to her averting gaze and reddening cheek.
'She must still feel awkward about this whole situation. Perhaps she's doubting herself.' 
That is what Levin thinks, trying to rationalize her reaction.

"After all, I was assigned to you. That means the higher ups trust you, and thus? I trust you, so…"

Suddenly, Levin gets up from his seat, moving round so that his face will meet her averting gaze with but a couple feet's distance apart, looking at her with a warm, charming smile. "So, keep your chin up, all right? I'll be there to help in any way I can." He says words of assurance, trying to help lifting her spirits up before he'll walk back to take his seat.

"And I do would like to know more about you." He says, still maintaining that warm smile. "Just say anything that comes to your mind, Eisa. I'll be there to listen."

He still smiles at her direction, saying what he thinks will help her open up more. After all, getting to know one another would let them work together in a more efficient matter.

If that means she'll need to unload her own thoughts and worries to him? Then he'll gladly sit by to listen, for the sake of the mission.

PLAYER

Soldat

I have nothing to say.

eisa steinfeld Avatar

eisa steinfeld

Post by eisa steinfeld on Oct 6, 2020 18:34:03 GMT -5

Eisa slowly manages to regain control, her breathing exercises helping her parse through the sudden explosion of stress and nerves. She really shouldn'thave left the Hospital so soon, but when did one have time to lie around in the Vorhuts Brigade?

"Thank you, Engel. I suspect we are both being tested to our limits. I am...pleased that you seem to be so mature for one so young." She said, the edge leaving her tone. She wasn't quite relaxed or smiling, but certainly some of the iron had gone out of her, and her body seemed to be untensing.

"Perhaps I will take you up on your offer, someday. For now, we have an appointment to keep. The Portal back." Eisa continued, her mind resolved once more. 

In a way she was grateful it had taken the Quartermasters a few minutes to put together the gear she had requested. The time to get control over her emotions, and get the measure of her new subordinate, was vital. It was an oft neglected, but no less crucial part of good leadership, to also schedule time for yourself.  Burnout was a common pitfall for the inexperienced soldier, more so for Quincies who had to juggle more than just their jobs, but a double or even triple life as well.

I've been doing this all my life. Eisa reminded herself quietly. I can do this.  I will do this.

Seeing heavy back-packs filled with an assortment of items, and a ziplock bag stuffed with common "earth" clothing, Eisa signed to confirm receipt of the items, and began trying to heft them, only to find that her arms were inexplicably now made of spaghetti.

Ah. Right.

Her face reddening once more, she looked to her new underling.

Ah, the joys of command. I wonder if even my Husband would offer to carry my bags unprompted?

"Private." She nodded, indicating her situation but not quite vocalising the intended order. How quickly Engel reacted, and how well he managed lugging enough luggage for 2 people all the way to the Portal, would be another test.

As I am tested, so shall I test

Leaving the Hospital complex and the Headquarters of the Sanitazstaffel behind, she stepped out into a broad plaza, lined with crystalline structures and a few imported plants from the Living World, whose natural colours stood out starkly in the sea of whites, greys and blues.

A broad avenue led away from the Hospital, winding between tall, densely packed structures. But though outwardly resembling paved highways, this was an entirely car-free city. All who wished to travel, did so by foot, often rapidly.  For those too weak to travel under their own power, a Porter service was available, but Eisa would be damned before she called up a Porter to haul her across the city like a sack of potatoes. 

"When you are ready, Private, we shall set off at a steady pace. Conserve your reishi. We don't need to travel like lightning, but we should try to move faster than a normal human can run, at the least."

She looked back, to see how Engel was faring carrying all of their supplies, equipment and initial wardrobe for the mission.

"Not dawdling are we?" She asked dryly. Perhaps it was unfair to make her newly acquired underling suffer so, but despite herself, she was enjoying the feeling of making someone else suffer for once. Though she would have to remind herself that poor Engel was not her husband, and there were limits to the indignity she should or could make him endure.

PLAYER

I have nothing to say.

Levin Engel Avatar

Levin Engel

Post by Levin Engel on Oct 9, 2020 13:34:11 GMT -5

It was good for Levin to see Eisa calming down, even if only by a small degree. Best to have his new figure of authority be in a sound state of mind, if he wants to move onward to the mission with as minimal setbacks as possible.
"All right, on your lead." Levin says while maintaining his smile.

When the gear for them has arrived, Levin took a moment to take it all in. It is one thing to be told you'll be moving into the Mortal World for an indeterminate length of time. To see all the equipment, stuffed to the brim inside both the backpacks, and a duffle bag? Made him realize just how deep he is going to get himself into.
He'll have to adapt to living in the Mortal World, to learn how to behave in a way that won't look suspicious, and at the same time searching for any signs of the sinners. All that, while sharing the same roof with his new superior.

In the back of his mind, Levin can somehow already guess that this will lead to awkward mishaps. Hopefully, he'll be proven wrong, and that the incident with the zipper was only a one time fluke.

By the time he finished gathering his thoughts, Eisa's first attempt at command was given after her unsuccessful attempt at lifting the luggage.
A cue easy enough to understand, Levin's smile fades away in favor of a more focused, attentive expression. He returns the nod in understanding, and swiftly walks forward to carry the baggage: One of the backpacks over his shoulders, and the rest carries by hand.

Both of their luggage combined, has indeed felt cumbersome for Levin. It wasn't just a matter of weight, but also how unwieldly it felt carrying all this weight by his hands on each side, affecting his balance.
However, Levin was still a boy who trained to be a soldat from a young age, which made him physically abled. It took for him a couple moments to find the right balance in his steps with all those bags, but once he did? The weight wasn't as much of an issue.

Thus, when Eisa has looked back to see how he was faring with the supplies? He was actually able to keep up despite it all while still conserving his reishi has instructed, tagging along behind her.

So this is why, When Eisa made the dry comment in his direction, it caught him by surprise. In some ways, it even stung a little to his ego.
He knows he shouldn't let it get to him, but if she is going to try and poke at him to see how capable he really is?

Then it's on.

Levin begins quickening the pace, closing the distance between them as he rushes to move by her side, instead of trailing her from the back.
"Not at all, Ma'am." Levin retorts.
"If I am going too fast, tell me and I'll slow down." He says dryly back at her, doing his best to maintain a deadpan, stoic expression. Nevertheless, the small upward curve on the side of his lips, gives her a tell to the smirk he's trying to hide.

PLAYER

Soldat

I have nothing to say.

eisa steinfeld Avatar

eisa steinfeld

Post by eisa steinfeld on Oct 13, 2020 16:18:41 GMT -5

She arched an eyebrow quizzically as she saw how easily Engel was keeping pace with her, despite his heavy burden. True, she was not moving at anything close to her full potential, but it still irked her, perhaps irrationally, that he was if anything -enjoying- himself, despite his stoic expression.

Of course, stoicism was the rule for Quincies, especially those in the Vorhuts Brigade, which meant one tended to learn how to pick up on subtle and nuanced emotional cues. 

So, with as much nuance as she could muster, she began to gradually increase her pace. Not enough that she would herself become winded, or expend too much reishi, but enough to slowly raise the strain on her subordinate.

As he continued to match pace, she continued to accelerate, if only gradually.

Before long they were jogging down the street, presenting a very odd sight indeed for any citizens of the Wandenreich who happened to be passing by. 

As they came to the first corner, she spied the familiar and welcoming sign of Tendo's Spasskauf, the famous convenience store which everyone in the Silbern Fortress was familiar with. Nobody really thought about it much, or who exactly the eponymous Tendo was. They were just glad to have someone who would sell Material World-quality conveniences, at any time of day or night, in a city that was almost painfully spartan in all other respects.

Even though her subordinate showed not the slightest sign of fatigue or inconvenience, jogging at such a pace even aided by reishi had fatigued her, and she judged they had enough time for a quick break.

"Since we will likely be busy for sometime even after we reach the Material World, this may be our last time to gather more...ordinary supplies." She said, trying to conceal her true reason for abruptly stopping in front of the convenience store.

"Leave our gear out here, I'll keep watch. I want you to buy three things from the store- a food or drink item for yourself, a drink for me, and some Syggekole."  She smiled to herself indulgently. It was quite childish to put her recruit through such tests, but it was helping keep her mind off of everything else. The item he bought himself would tell her much about himself, the drink would let her know how well he could read her preferences from first impressions, and the third item was a completely made-up item that didn't exist. She wondered if he would notice, or spend some minutes trying to locate it in the store to impress her. 

She sat down on their heavy bags, crossing her legs, concealing the fact she was taking a breather, and waited to see how Engel would deal with her latest small challenge.

PLAYER

I have nothing to say.

Levin Engel Avatar

Levin Engel

Post by Levin Engel on Oct 15, 2020 14:19:28 GMT -5

When Eisa began to quick her pace, Levin soon felt that he may have overreacted, finding it more difficult to keep up with her while carrying all the luggage.

Enough so, that by the time arrived to Tendo's Spasskouf, Levin took the chance to put down the luggage, in order to catch his breath. Next time, when being questioned about his aptitude? He'll try to remember he should just nod silently in return, less he might pay the price- Which is feet certainly feel now, aching at the soles…
The boy may be well trained, but in the end? He is still human!

With the heavy bags down, Levin takes a moment to peek inside the shop. He has heard about such convenience stores, even seen some of them in the few times he was in the Mortal World- But he was never in one. Still, when she asked of him to buy certain things from the shops, he simply nodded and walked on in. Sure, he has no clue what a Syggkole, but if it exists in the shop, how hard could it be to find it?

Upon entering the shop for the first time, Levin looks around… And his eyes open up in shock, marveling at just how much different stuff exists in the shop. It isn't just the assortment of different items that can be bought, but also their variety: Different snacks in differently colored plastic bags all made with art catching decorations. Some of those snacks also appear to be the same, yet have different names?

The drinks, the item he was told to get, were also strange. They had different colors as well, including one drink that was opaque black- Who would even dare drink it? Yet, what was more surprising, were the odd naming choices. "Mountain Dew", "Dr Peppy". What Levin isn't even aware of, is that those aren't the names of real places or people. 'Who is this Peppy?'

Deciding to play it safe, Levin reaches for two bottles of water- But soon stops, remembering something… Wasn't "Dr.Peppy" written on the can Eisa drank back in the hospital room? Recalling this, Levin takes one bottle of water for him, and one bottle of Dr.Peppy for Eisa, hoping he is right.

Now, all that's left is to find the Cashier, and inquire about this Syggekole Eisa asked him for. "Hello?" Levin calls out as he walks towards the register- Which, unbeknownst to him-, is currently run by Tendo, of all people.

"Welcome to the shop! What I can get you for?"

"I'm looking for some Syggekole. Where can I get it?" Levin asks while putting the bottles next to the register, while Tendo stares at him with a deadpan expression-Naturally, not having a clue what Syggekole means as well.
But, when opportunity comes knocking at your door? The experienced salesman knows how to take it.

"Ah, Syggekole!" Tendo says with confidence, with a practiced smile. "Right this way!" Tendo guides over to one of the freezers in the shop, taking out what appears to be a Ben & Jerry ice cream.

A vegan one. Levin, quickly catching on to the different name, looks up at Tendo quizzingly. Before he can ask though, Tendo answers: "Ben & Jerry is a brand name for different varieties of ice cream. This type of ice-cream, is named Syggekole in Hungary. Different language and all."

An outright lie. The actual truth is that this particular ice cream has been sitting idly by in the freezer for months, and no one ever wanted it. This is just a way to get rid of an unwanted product, to an unsuspecting customer.
And Levin, being none the wiser, buys into it. Not only does Tendo's mentioning of a 'brand name' helps him understand why there are so much naming varieties for all the different items for sale, he found the more obscure request of Eisa with relative ease, all thanks to the Cashier.
Mentally congratulating himself on a job well done as they go back to the register to pay for the items.

And so, after around two minutes of being in the shop, Levin comes back to Eisa. One bottle of water, and one bottle of Dr.Peppy held under each of his arms, and a vegan Ben & Jerry ice cream cup held in his hand.

"There you go. One drink for me, one for you, and some Syggekole." He says so with a smile, thinking he followed through on her request.

PLAYER

Soldat

I have nothing to say.

eisa steinfeld Avatar

eisa steinfeld

Post by eisa steinfeld on Oct 15, 2020 14:50:59 GMT -5

Eisa couldn't help but crack a smile when she saw the items Engel had brought. A Bottle of water, safe, very safe, speaking to someone not used to providing for themselves, and unwilling to invite judgement on their own tastes perhaps. A Dr Peppy? An excellent piece of observation on his part, and full marks. But...a tub of vegan ice cream?

Of course.

The Shopkeeper saw an easy mark, and pawned something off on the poor boy. 

It was all she could do not to burst out laughing straight away. 

"An A for Effort, Soldaten, but I'm afraid that last item was a trick question. There is, as far as I know, no such thing as Syggekole. It is in fact, a mispronunciation of the word for bicycle in Danish." 

She took the can of Dr. Peppy, opening it up and taking a swig of her favourite soda for the second time that day. Perhaps it was a bit greedy to have so many so quickly, but she needed the energy boost. As for the vegan ice-cream...well, the weather never really changed in the Shadow Realm, so it was never quite the right weather for ice-cream, but it was also never so cold that you could keep it for long, either.

And Eisa was no vegan. In fact, she hadn't even heard of any vegans in the Quincy population. A strange item indeed to find in the Schatten Bereich.

"As a reward for your efforts, however, I will attempt to carry some of your luggage." She said, determined to restore some face, if only for herself. She took the lightest backpack from him, but still left him with the lion's share of things.

"Your final test is to make it the rest of the way to the Portal, without pause, and without letting the ice-cream in that tub melt. I have a fridge in Tokyo but it might take a while to get there, so don't think this test is over the moment you are through the Portal." She was openly smiling as she said this. If he failed she wouldn't punish him, as this was a really mean final test to spring on him. But if the boy really did manage it well...she at least knew what she'd be feeding her husband as dessert this week.

"Now, Links....March!"

She called out, before a small burst of reishi energy propelled her forward once more. From here, the main boulevard of the city curved around, leading from the Hospital District through the main Plazas, the Market District, the Factory Sector and finally the Portal operated by the Vorhuts Brigade, just outside the Military District that Engel had likely 'ported over from with the General. She idly wondered how often a boy, trained and used to using teleportation from such a young age like Levin was, had actually had occasion to wander the Silbern Fortress, and see what a model city it was. Then again, without comparison to the sort of places in the Material World she had seen, could he appreciate the marvels of this city, or understand its flaws?

She began to appreciate that Levin would be more than a new student for her, or just a useful underling. Undoubtedly he would help her learn many new things as well...

She didn't say much the rest of their way to the portal, focused entirely on keeping her breathing steady. Even as light as her load was, she was struggling. It was a good thing she'd had 2 sodas, or she might have had the sugar-energy needed to keep pushing forward. She regretted not asking for some kind of candy snack from the Spasskauf as well.

I'll have to get Levin to do my grocery runs more often. She mused, though picturing him in her day to day life was...quite odd.

Her temporary mood-boost soon faded as the Portal Hub came into view. Yes, a very unpleasant conversation awaited her on the other side.

Hi Honey, I almost died in Osaka, but here's our new lodger...

Maybe she would eat the vegan ice-cream herself, after all.

PLAYER

I have nothing to say.

Levin Engel Avatar

Levin Engel

Post by Levin Engel on Oct 15, 2020 16:25:00 GMT -5

Levin's smile quickly faded away once she explained what a Syggekole actually us. A mispronunciation in Danish? How anyone could have guessed that?!
And now, understanding that he has been tricked, Levin turns to look with narrowed eyes through the glass door of the Store, straight onto Tendo- Who only smiles and waves in return, knowing he got off scot free.
There goes trying to look professional in front of Eisa- Not that she's without guilt, too, tricking him like that!

"You know…"
Levin opens up his bottle of water. "That, was just cruel." He says back in jest, flashing a smile before taking a swig as well. It was no energy boost, but water is a great way to quench someone's body during workout- Which is effectively what Eisa makes him do, carrying all those bags around Schatten Bereich.
Which made him all the more thankful when she decided to take some of the luggage off him. Even if it was the lightest backpack, it meant one less bag to try and balance around him, making it easier to move around. 'At least all those odd tests are over'

Oh, how wrong Levin was- As soon after thinking that she gave him another test. To carry the ice-cream without letting it melt.

A clearly impossible task, at least without the right equipment. He for a moment thought about just heading back to the shop and gets a portable freezer to accomplish this test. Yet, considering how expensive buying would be, just to accomplish this silly task?

Levin would instead, just stare back at Eisa with a sullen face. No words spoken back in return, his expression was enough to let her know.
That he too, thought it was an absurd, callous test to force upon someone.

Still, when she called 'Links', Levin took the rest of the luggage while holding the ice cream by the armpit for comfort. He may bring a melted ice-cream back to Tokyo, but he'll still do it, if just to prove how ludicrous this test really is.

And with that, they march off! As they go through Schatten Bereich, Levin tries to take a look around, but he finds it difficult to do so while having to both keep up with Eisa while carrying most of the bags, while also using Reishi as well to propel himself with each step takes as well.

He himself, after all, hasn't had many chances to wander much beyond to Vorhuts Brigade, at least not since officially joining into their ranks.
While he has visited the more commonly visited places like the Market District, it was usually done briefly, or with either friends or family. More closed off places like the Factory Sector for example, were places he had seen only on rare occasions, either due not having both interest, or need to visit.

Getting another chance to see some of them while moving nearby, though, does help peak the boy's curiosity.
Perhaps at another time, where duty calls him to those areas, he'll be able to get himself more familiar with the places he seldom visits in the city.

However, now was not the time to start thinking about the Silbern Fortress. Instead, he focuses on the task at hand, to follow his new superior's lead- While trying to make his mind about her.
From his current interactions with Eisa so far, it seems that while she does maintain the serious demeanor fellow quincies are known for- There is a bit of mischief in her, from what he can deduce by those 'tests' she gave him. A mischief side that makes Levin a bit worried as to his future.
While that side of her could perhaps help in ''breaking distance'' between them much sooner, which could make the next few weeks or even months in his life easier… There is the threat of her using the authority she has been given to give more ludicrous assignments later on, to appease that side of her.

All he can do? Is hope it'll be the former. That way, he'll at least feel easier talking back to her.

When they finally arrived to the portal, Levin takes the moment drop the bags he carried by hand to the ground to let them rest, while at the same time feeling a bit of wetness at the armpit.
As expected, he failed the test, the ice-cream already melted.

Instead of focusing on the obvious however, Levin looks towards Eisa, who has stopped in front of the portal. Was she waiting for him, or was she hesitant to go through? Both options appear valid to him right now.

"Shall we press on?" Levin asks, waiting for further instructions. After all, down at the Material World? She'll be his only guide.

PLAYER

Soldat

I have nothing to say.

eisa steinfeld Avatar

eisa steinfeld

Post by eisa steinfeld on Oct 15, 2020 17:36:00 GMT -5

The Portal to the Mortal World was a strange thing that hurt the eyes. An unnatural and vast tear in the fabric of the sky, it seemed to ripple and waver, like frayed fabric in the wind, or like a black fire still smouldering. 

It hovered in between a vast arch of stone and crystal, forming a strange boundary between the Shadow Realm and the Living World. It was a vast and alien artefact, whose secret of construction was either lost or a closely guarded one that Eisa was not privy to.

It was true, of course, that any Quincy with sufficient effort could punch through from this realm to the next on their own, but the Portal was a permanent thing, opening or closing on a scale no single Quincy could ever hope to manage. 

Even now, experienced in portal travel as she was, Eisa struggled to hide her own awe and discomfort.

She tore her eyes away from the thing, and saw the bored looking Quincies on duty, in their immaculate white uniforms and caps. One held out the requisite Mission Log for her to sign, confirming that she was passing through.

"You made it just in time, Lieutenant. Our next scheduled opening is eight hours from now. The General gave me strict orders that if you were more than a minute late, he would make you both spend the entire wait time doing laps around the city." The Gate sentry's stern expression suggested this was no jest.

Eisa recomposed herself, putting on an equally professional expression.

"Careful with your tone, Soldat."

He stiffened, and snapped off a salute. "Apologies, Ma'am."

She nodded in Engel's direction. "I trust you've been briefed on our excursion?"

"Yes. Oh! There was a briefing packet for you aswell. Further details and information for your mission. The brown envelope can be opened now, but the white one is for when you are alone. FYEO as usual." 

He handed her the mission package, and she took it and stowed it away carefully. 

Seeing Levin struggling with his stuff, and also a tub of leaking melted ice-cream, she looked sadly at the little tub that could. A strange symbol of her time here, she thought. A Cold moment of joy, prematurely melted by harsh reality. 

"Soldat! You have a wastebin around here?"

"Eh...what?"

The Gate Sentry was nonplussed as he was handed a melting tub of vegan ice-cream. A just punishment for his snarky tone earlier, she thought.

His companion, who was trying to focus on managing the Portal, hid his own smirk under his cap's brim.

"Soldat Engel, attend. We will be passing through shortly. On the other side is..." She turned to the Sentry, who was trying to clean the stickiness from his hands with a little reishi.

"Which site is the portal currently connected to?"

"Yokoamichō Park in Tokyo, Ma'am. Should be quiet this time of day over there."

She blanched a little at the choice of location. It was a sombre place, home to Tokyo's Memorials to the Fire-dead of WWII and the Great Kanto Earthquake. Given what she had experienced in Osaka, it seemed an ominous place to return to. Still, it was the ideal location for discreet re-entry into the Living World. 

"Thank you, that should be all. Engel, once we are through, follow my lead, and remember, only Japanese or English. German may be our preferred tongue, but it will arouse attention in a way that English won't. If someone asks you a question in German, for god's sake, don't answer them." She said sharply. 

It was a shame to end their little game, however brief it was, but for now she would have to return to being the Officer she had been raised to be. For all that they were about to enter a bright world full of teeming bustling humanity, carrying all manner of tourist trash, they were still, at their core, agents of the Reich on a mission. 

"Untill we reach the safety and privacy of my home, or a Quincy safehouse, you are henceforth to refer to me only as Mrs Steinfeld or Steinfeld-san. I will address you as Levin. Understood?"

She sighed. "And no saluting either."

Suppressing the sudden surge of deep, gnawing anxiety in her gut, she swallowed her nerves.  She told herself it was just Portal jitters.

Once again making sure they had everything, with a final deep breath, she closed her eyes, stepped forward, and walked-

Through

...to the other side.

Last Edit: Oct 16, 2020 8:23:37 GMT -5 by eisa steinfeld