An Unexpected Chapter [Promotion Thread]

PLAYER

13th Division - Vice Captain

"Enjoy yourself while you can."

Yoshinori Okamoto Avatar

Yoshinori Okamoto

Post by Yoshinori Okamoto on Jun 4, 2022 18:56:54 GMT -5

Flashback Sequence.

One Week Prior, Yoshinori's Living Room, Soul Society. Yoshinori's House.

"You're transferring again, Yoshi? Why this time? I thought you liked Captain Kinizuru."

Sealed Ball

He could always trust Azula Hijikata to call him out on something. Choosing to visit Yoshinori on a random evening during his final few days of his temporary vacaion leave following the Hogyoku incident, the purple haired Shinigami had brought food as her "bribe" for Yoshinori to let her in. And let her in he did. After all, she was one of his oldest friends. One of his first friends after his entrance into the Shino Academy, the two of them were just children then, bound by a mutual respect for each other and an acknowledgement of each other's layers, the likes of which weren't so easily observable in their actions. Azula's confidence and perceptiveness complimented Yoshinori, but most of all she didn't judge him. She knew him before the jewels that hid away his uglier side. She knew of his past, back when it was raw and uncovered, yet still approached him. Even though their duties kept them from coming together as often as they would both like, Azula still found time every now and then to force her way back into Yoshinori's life. Thankfully, she didn't have to try too hard.

"I need a change of pace. It's nothing personal." The response was unusually subdued, at least when considering who he was talking to.

Azula pursued her lips, remaining silent for several seconds as she sipped her cup of tea. Yoshinori had prepared it for the both of them. Chamomile Tea, one of Yoshinori's favored types. Savoring the mild sweetness of the drink, the purple haired First Division officer closed her eyes for a period of three seconds before opening them once more, her eyes settling upon her dinner partner.

"It's not your fault. You don't have to blame yourself.

To Yoshinori, he felt as if it was his fault. He had violated his promise to Maria. While his actions had saved countless lives from untold levels of destruction, not to mention the dimensions as he knew it, he had contributed to ruining another's life. In the end, Valentina perished with hatred in her heart, bitter and angry at the world. And what had he done? Blindly opposed her, and turned a blind eye to the root of the problem. What made him any better than any of the Shinigami that he spent so much time ridiculing? Condemning. Weren't they also afflicted by the same blindness? The same apathy? It didn't do to simply wallow in regret after the fact. Regret doesn't fix Valentina's fate.

So, he had made a decision. Perhaps in time, he would be able to evaluate as to whether his newest chapter was worthwhile or not.

"Who will it be this time?" Azula asked, her tone gentle as she stared at her friend. He had entertained her as well as any host could, but she was no fool. She could sense the difference in the air, the shift in Yoshinori from what he was even several weeks ago, to what she was staring at now. Long gone was the fellow who she had visited in the Maggot's Nest to inform him of his demotion to Second Division Eighth Seat, mere hours before his transfer to the Eighth Division. The aura around this arrangement was different.

This was deeply personal. A level of which he was not ready to share with her. Not yet, at least.

But he would share one thing.

"Shishio." Yoshinori replied calmly.

Sealed Ball

Thirteenth Division Headquarters, Ugendō Quarters Courtyard. Soul Society.

Sealed Ball

It wasn't uncommon for Shinigami to bounce from one Division to the next. In fact, it was quite normal. Different divisions had different personnel needs, and in an ever-fluctuating work field with needs that changed by the day in different parts of the world, it wasn't uncommon for Unseated Shinigami to find themselves shuffled from division to division. Even as one hit the Junior Officer levels, such fates only diminished slightly. Yet for Senior Officers it was a rarer occasion. Very much still a thing, but it was within this community of Shinigami that some particular fellows could very well find themselves nestled in the same space for centuries at a time, perhaps even for their entire careers. Yoshinori had never once considered the thought of remaining as someone's Third Seat without a change of scenery for centuries at a time. But then again, the way his career went, he was never afforded the luxury of being able to toy with the idea.

But this time was his choice. The audience with Captain Aritaka Shishio of the Thirteenth Division was his choice. A difficult choice, and one born from multiple meditation sessions and perhaps one too many smoking sessions in silence. But it was his choice. To Yoshinori, a Vice-Captain-ship was part of his vow to Hyakuji. Part one of their multi-step plan to eventually create a better Soul Society, and a harmonious world. But the Thirteenth Division, and the choice of Captain Shishio was part of his own personal journey. Yoshinori was damaged. No longer physically, but spiritually and mentally shot. Recent conflicts had broken past the man's tough exterior, and pierced his very soul. He found no joy in the hedonistic haven that was the Eighth Division. The parties, the drinking, the gambling. One time it held a safety net for the man, a place for him to hide away from his own insecurities. Now, to go through the motions of what were once highly sought after pleasures was now robotic obligation. It wasn't that he no longer wanted to serve Captain Kinizuru.

He couldn't serve Captain Kinizuru any longer.

He needed healing. A spiritual remedy for a malady that struck far deeper than an ailment of the flesh could ever accomplish. He never met the sickly Shishio before, but he had heard rumors of the Captain. A man counting his days, but possessing an appreciation for life, viewing it as sacred. A man who extends his kindness to all, no matter their position. The Thirteenth Division had never appealed to the silver haired Reaper before, but now...he needed an environment where he could begin to focus on himself. To steer his life on track.

To navigate his unexpected chapter in his life.

Tendrils of smoke wafting from his pipe, Yoshinori sat on his knees before the Captain's Quarters, his eyes closed as he awaited his audience. In reality, he half expected his Vice-Captain application to be rejected. Sure, he had helped defeat Valentina...but what would a man such as Shishio do with someone such as Yoshinori? A killer, a former assassin for the Onmitsukidō. The pair could be no more different. Yoshinori was a monster, and he acknowledged it. He was just waiting for everyone else to acknowledge it too.

Last Edit: Jun 11, 2022 8:41:57 GMT -5 by Momoshiro

ADMINISTRATOR

Shinigami

There are many causes I would die for, but not a single cause I would kill for.

Momoshiro Avatar

Momoshiro

Post by Momoshiro on Jun 8, 2022 20:51:57 GMT -5

Eighth Division Headquarters | Soul Society

"I'm going to miss the sound of those bangles jingling about the hallways."

The blonde Captain smirked as he tossed a grape up into the air and caught it in his mouth. He stretched out his arm and plucked another grape from the bunch sitting in the bowl on his desk. He was leaning off to the side of his chair, his feet kicked up onto the corner of his desk with the bowl of grapes resting on the opposite corner.

Enki rolled her eyes and continued to type up her report at her own smaller desk on the other side of the lavish room.

"Yoshi did have style. Can't blame him for wanting to shine."

The green-haired vice-captain was going to correct Godai, but thought better of it. She knew Yoshi wasn't leaving for such frivolous reasons.

Godai tossed another grape into his mouth as his head hung off his armrest. He closed his eyes as a smirk pulled at his lips.

"I don't think we've seen his full potential yet... far from it. I hope I get to witness it one day."

Enki smiled warmly, nodded, and continued to type at her desk.

Ugendō (Rain Dried Hall) Quarters | Soul Society

Hitoka had been sent to retrieve Yoshinori as he waited outside the 13th Division Captain's Office. Unfortunately, the meeting would not take place there as Aritaka was not feeling well enough to leave his bed in the Rain Dried Hall. She apologized on her Captain's behalf and hurried them both along, leading him out into the gardens behind the barracks. There was a small building that rested amidst the shallow pond. Koi swam in the waters. The trees swayed and the flowers smelled lovely. It was the very definition of tranquil.

The pink and green-haired woman moved the heavy curtain back and motioned for Yoshinori to enter. The small room contained just the small bed for Aritaka, a table with a Pai Sho board, two chairs, and a nightstand with various vials of what could only be assumed to be medicine. Some of them had labels that mentioned the 12th Division's Research Department. Next to the bed was a waist-high stack of books and some scrolls.

Light came in through the circular window but was divided by the wooden slats and instead stretched across the room in separate bars of yellow light.

Once Yoshinori was fully inside, Hitoka gestured for him to take a seat on a wide sitting pillow that had been laid out for him which was placed near the bedside. It was very obvious this was the pillow she usually rested on while looking after her Captain. Hitoka offered the man a smile and moved over to the table and took a seat. She fished a notepad out of her robes and got ready to take notes if necessary.

Captain Shishio was breathing heavy and slow but strained as if each inhale took extra effort. He rolled his head over to face the newcomer.

"What is troubling you, Yoshinori?"

His voice, even strained as it was, had a sweet and calming cadence to it. It was rumored that he could disarm even the most stubborn soul with a sentence or two.
Last Edit: Jun 8, 2022 20:52:24 GMT -5 by Momoshiro

PLAYER

Yoshinori Okamoto Avatar

Yoshinori Okamoto

Post by Yoshinori Okamoto on Jun 9, 2022 11:25:22 GMT -5

The wait outside the Captain's Quarters wasn't in waste. It provided Yoshinori time to reflect, to focus himself. What was he even to say to Captain Shishio? With Kinizuru, the entire atmosphere was different. Before, it was a matter to save his own career, a chance to escape from the rut he had placed himself in as Second Division Shinigami with a plummeting reputation. His focus was on putting his best foot forward, and proving to the blonde Shinigami that he was an asset, and would serve the Eighth Division well.

This was different. There was no career to save. In fact, one could argue that Yoshinori was doing better than ever. While the specific details regarding Valentina's threat and the Hogyoku were kept under-wraps in order to not spread news of the Hogyoku in the first place, what did leak out was that Yoshinori, alongside Tensai, had been directly involved in the circumstances that had remedied the breach in dimensions. While the greater Shinigami world may never truly know what it was that Yoshinori and friends faced, they certainly knew his name.

His career was by no means in jeopardy. It was a matter of his spirit.

Following Hitoka to the gardens behind the Thirteenth Division Barracks, Yoshinori felt the shift in atmosphere immediately. Carefully mended gardens, trimmed and lively in nature. The air was pleasant and abuzz with life, the trees shuffling gently as the early afternoon breeze prompted them to dance ever so slightly. Allowing his emerald gaze to fall upon a nearby Koi Pond, Yoshinori couldn't help but allow the ghost of a smile to fleetingly grace his features. Kabuto loved Koi. He remembered his "step-father" speaking to him about how he wished to get one for himself when he saved up enough money. That was almost a century and a half ago, and Kabuto still never made good on that desire. But here one was, staring him in the face.

Coming to an eventual stop before Ugendō Quarters, the silver haired Third Seat bowed his head briefly towards Hitoka in sign of thanks as she held apart the curtain for him to enter. Not daring to make a sound, the young Shinigami gradually made his way inside. Even Hanzō, his pet serpent, seemed to be silent for this journey. Perhaps the emotional weight of the conversation was weighing upon him too, or maybe the tranquility of the gardens had touched him just as profoundly as it had touched his master.

Lowering himself onto the wide pillow, Yoshinori finally placed his full attention on the Captain. Whereas Kinizuru exuded an aura that forced others to turn their eyes to him, and exuded a presence of command and confidence, Captain Shishio's presence was much more...subdued. Or perhaps his presence was simply different, in a way that Yoshinori did not understand. But in these moments, Captain Shishio appeared to be little more than a sickly man making the most of his life until the inevitable arrived. He did not carry Kinizuru's swagger...but at the same time perhaps that was purposeful.

Maybe Shishio didn't need to.

"What is troubling you, Yoshinori?"

Yoshinori had heard rumors of Shishio's natural charisma, his disarming pleasantness that knocked down social barriers like one would tip over dominoes. His words carried such a presence so as to strike to the heart of any he was speaking to. It was part of his charm, and why so many in his Division claimed to love the Captain so. But it was different now, feeling it firsthand. While the silver haired man was usually so guarded in reference to his desire to share personal information, the Captain's rolled about in the pit of his stomach, uncurling any desire to hold back. It was almost like Shishio was easing his tormented spirit without even meaning to.

It was the kind of effect that Yoshinori would only be able to accomplish through concocting some sort of spell. But Shishio's was simply apart of what the man him.

So, Yoshinori told the truth:

"I am...a killer." Yoshinori started,"All my life, I have done nothing more than steal and cheat. At least in the beginning, I could justify it by means of survival. A need for belonging coupled by a need for sustenance. But ever since I became a Shinigami, I've delved into the darkness. Sought the shadows. How many people have I hurt in my career? Not just Hollows, but others? How many have I shut the door on when they were inwardly crying out for help? How many monsters have I created by being a monster?" These were questions that were perhaps not meant to be answered, but Shishio had poked a hole in the dam, and now the dam was breaking loose, flooding the terrain. There would be no holding back today.

"I could have done more for Valentina. I met her before the final battle. She had spoken of her goals...and I ignored her. I did not see her as a person. Merely an objective. And when I gathered intelligence on her, I left her. Time and time again, I've fought foes without a second's thought, bringing a blade to their neck simply because it is the way I conducted myself. But I'm tired of killing...I'm tired of hurting people. I'm tired of these wars, Captain."

Sealed Ball

"I need to be healed. For the first time, I want to defend those who cannot defend themselves. I want to understand others...I've realized for the first time that life is already fleeting as it is, even for us. I don't want to take it unless I have to."

"I want to be a source of good, rather than just an assassin for order."

ADMINISTRATOR

Shinigami

Momoshiro Avatar

Momoshiro

Post by Momoshiro on Jun 11, 2022 9:41:52 GMT -5

Aritaka listened intently to Yoshinori's answer. On the opposite side of the room, Hitoka scribbled a few notes down after the 3rd Seat finished speaking. She felt for him and empathized with his story.

The Captain laid there for a moment, mentally digesting the words of the man before him. Then he moved to sit up in the bed. Hitoka instantly made a move to help him but he held out his hand and shook his head. No, he would do this on his own. After some effort, he managed to sit up. Hitoka sat back down but looked anxious as she continued to watch her Captain.

Aritaka turned his head once again to look at Yoshinori. His eyes were pale and cloudy. The skin above his cheeks and nose was a sickly purple and twisted. It looked very painful. He stretched out his hand so that it rested on Yoshinori's shoulder.

"No... there is no monster before me."

The Captain smiled warmly. His hand moved up and touched Yoshinori's cheek and then his forehead. He could no longer see, so he felt instead.

"I just see a broken Shinigami, weary from his duty, and tired of the fight."

Aritaka quickly pulled his hand back and then coughed to the side. A bit of blood stained his lips. Hitoka once again moved to help him but he shook his head and simply pulled a handkerchief from his robes and wiped the warm, red stain from his face. He tucked the handkerchief back and sighed, turning once again to face the white-haired man.

His friend, Hayato had lost his son and others lost their loved ones. Aritaka was no stranger to broken Shinigami. Yet he never counted himself among them. While, yes, he was deathly ill, he accepted it and moved on. Daisho had called him a fool for not trying to find a cure. The disease gave him a unique perspective on life and death.

"Mending your spirit will require time, which is something I have very little of. However, perhaps I can offer you purpose while you begin that journey of self-repair."

He coughed again and wiped his mouth before speaking. Hitoka looked like she was going to jump out of her skin if he didn't let her help. Aritaka could sense this and asked if she could fetch them some tea. She nodded, jumped up, and quickly skittered off to get it.

"I asked Hitoka to bring me your records after receiving your request. Hitoka and I went over them thoroughly and then I spoke with the Captains of the 2nd and 8th Divisions of which you were a part. You'll be pleased that Godai spoke very highly of you. He rarely compliments others. The twins were... less kind."

Aritaka could sense the unease rise in Yoshinori.

"Have no fear. I was not deterred."

He smiled again.

"I admit, your request came at a time when I have a particular need to which you seem well suited. Hitoka's days are busy taking care of me and she is stretched rather thin, trying to also do her duties as a Vice-Captain. I have felt her weariness for some time now... I would like you to take over her duties managing the Division while she attends to me full time."

Aritaka laid back down and let out another sigh.

"Perhaps the two of us can help each other heal, yes?"
Last Edit: Jun 16, 2022 22:16:14 GMT -5 by Momoshiro

PLAYER

Yoshinori Okamoto Avatar

Yoshinori Okamoto

Post by Yoshinori Okamoto on Jun 16, 2022 12:21:34 GMT -5

There was an almost suffocating silence as his tale reached its conclusion.

It was not attributed to any behavior on Aritaka or Hitoka's part. In fact, they were nothing but receptive of his story. No, it was manifested from Yoshinori's own mind. His dirty laundry was aired for all to see before near strangers, and he hadn't even truly intended on divulging as much as he had. But he did, and had to live with it.

As the frail figure of the Captain moved to sit up, Yoshinori's hand instinctively jerked forward, before retreating back. It seemed Hitoka had the same reaction apparently, her form immediately rising to aid her Captain, before a dismissive wave from Aritaka assured the woman that he was alright. Able to fully see his face as he turned to face Yoshinori, the silver haired Third Seat was able to truly take in the extent of the man's ailments. His face was twisted and distorted by whatever disease ate at him, and the light in his eyes had long since faded to the dullness of blindness. For Shinigami who were easily able to live centuries upon centuries at a time with no foreseeable end in sight, Aritaka appeared to be measuring his life in months. Perhaps even weeks.

"No... there is no monster before be. I just see a broken Shinigami, weary from his duty, and tired of the fight."

The words surprised Yoshinori. It was a conclusion that Yoshinori had never reached himself. He believed himself to be broken, that was by no means unknown to him. But, to the young man, it was because he was broken that made him a monster. His fractured mind and spirit caused him to continue destroying. Continue falling back on the darkness in his heart. That was his approach.

Yet Aritaka saw differently. He clarified that mending of the spirit would take time, and would not be a task that Aritaka himself could do for Yoshinori. It was an answer that the Reaper had expected, albeit for a different reason than he had anticipated. It was simply because of time. A journey that Aritaka might not survive to see the end of. A brutal truth, but an honest one.

Not daring to interrupt the sickly man, Aritaka went on to explain the behind the scenes of the transfer. Hitoka had brought the Captain files pertaining to his service record, and Aritaka himself had spoken to Captain Kinizuru and the twin Captains of the Second Division. Unsurprisingly, the Shimizu twins were less than kind in their report. Yoshinori almost expected as much. Despite serving in the Second Division for the majority of his career, and possessing quite the impressive record with them, his final blunder was a stain on his reputation. A memorable one. He couldn't necessarily blame them for not having the best of views of him, but it naturally brought a surge of annoyance none the less.

But Captain Kinizuru was much kinder in his report. The Eighth Division Captain spoke highly of him, something that he apparently rarely did. A smile crossed his features. It almost made him regret leaving the Eighth Division. Godai had accepted him at the lowest point in his career, and while the blond Shinigami was more than a little deviant in his duties, he had created a space for Yoshinori to flourish. He would forever be grateful to Godai for that.

But now Aritaka was the next step. An offer to replace Hitoka as Vice-Captain, and a place within the Thirteenth Division. Yoshinori closed his eyes, and released a long exhale. Never in a million years would he have considered himself the type for a Vice-Captain. Sure, he had told Hyakuji that he would become the First Division's Vice Captain when the man himself attained Captain Commander, but who knew when that would happen? For all Yoshinori knew, that promise was the equivalent of promising a friend that he would still be friends when he turned old and gray, in elementary school. A promise made with results that were simply too far ahead in the future.

But here was a Vice-Captainship, staring him in the face. Was he ready for it? Who would want him?

Stop slinking back, Yoshinori. Take the first step.

He bowed deeply before the ailing Captain, and provided his answer.

"It would be an honor, Captain Shishio. I...I want to take this step, and become a better man. And I hope that I can help you even a fraction of what you'll be doing for me. I accept."

ADMINISTRATOR

Shinigami

Momoshiro Avatar

Momoshiro

Post by Momoshiro on Jun 22, 2022 21:17:31 GMT -5

"It would be an honor, Captain Shishio. I...I want to take this step, and become a better man. And I hope that I can help you even a fraction of what you'll be doing for me. I accept."

Aritaka just smiled. He was happy, but he knew the younger Shinigami would accept even maybe before Yoshi himself knew. It was a gamble, as always, but he would be a poor tactician if he didn't stack the deck in his favor. Almost as if on cue, Hitoka returned with a tray which held three small cups and a kettle.

She knelt down, poured the tea into the three cups and offered one to Yoshi. Then she moved closer to Aritaka and helped him drink before returning to the table. She stole a few glances towards Yoshi and did her best to hide her grin. It looked like he agreed to her Captain's proposal. She was glad. Now she would be able to spend more time with him.

Suddenly her face flushed red and she quickly took a sip and tried to hide behind her cup.

Captain Shishio let out a contented sigh and spoke again.

"Someday, Yoshinori, you are going to make an excellent Captain of the Gotei 13. In the mean time, you'll need to find a partner. A Captain who will support you and... One you can depend on and... protect in kind."

His voice was growing weaker and more faint.

"Yes... I think he will do nicely."

Aritaka spoke to himself but clearly had someone already picked out. Before Yoshi could react or even respond, the Captain had fallen asleep. Hitoka walked over to the bedside and tucked him in. Then she gestured for Yoshinori to follow her out.

When the two were outside, she tugged on his sleeve.

"T-Thank you."

Then she quickly disappeared back into the dwelling, leaving Yoshinori outside in the tranquil gardens once more.

PLAYER

Yoshinori Okamoto Avatar

Yoshinori Okamoto

Post by Yoshinori Okamoto on Jul 30, 2022 16:49:06 GMT -5

It was difficult to gauge how much time had passed.

It wasn't due to any sense of disorientation, or any funny timey-wimey bullshit that was at work in the shadows. It was simply because Yoshinori, for perhaps the first time in ages, had allowed his guard to drop. He had allowed himself to finally relax in such a way that he hadn't afforded himself to in years. In perhaps a century or more. He had proven victorious over Valentina, but at the cost of his own spirit. His body had begun to heal, but his soul and will was battered and broken. The walls he had constructed around his mind and heart were crumbling, and had devolved to a point where he was quite frankly beyond repair. In many cases, such would be cause enough for a discharge from service. After all, how long before such spiritual damage would begin to impact his work? How long until the psychological effects began to take hold. Were there even Shinigami therapists? Probably. The Fourth Division probably had them tucked away somewhere. Not that Yoshinori ever explored the object. Instead, he sought spiritual counsel from close-to-deathbed Captains. Same thing, right?

Eventually, Hitoka re-entered the room bearing gifts. Placing the tray of small cups and the tea kettle down before them, Yoshinori straightened up somewhat as his emerald green eyes shifted towards the soon to be former Vice-Captain. He noted the way she assisted him in almost every action, even to the common action of drinking. Bowing his head lightly, Yoshinori hid his inner thoughts behind a long drink from his own tea cup.

It's always the good ones that die first.

Before he could get too lost in his own reflections, Captain Shishio once again surprised him.

"Someday, Yoshinori, you are going to make an excellent Captain of the Gotei 13. In the mean time, you'll need to find a partner. A Captain who will support you and... One you can depend on and... protect in kind."

Sealed Ball

A Captain? Yoshinori had never considered the notion. Even asking the dark skinned man a few months ago if Vice-Captainship was in his future, the Kido Specialist would wave his hand and banish the notion as an impossibility. Now he was doing the same thing with the prospect of a Captainship. He was not a worthy individual for such. There were candidates much more deserving of the station than he. There was no place for such a man as...

A Captain who will support me?

Yoshinori's eyes relaxed, as did his body as he regained manual control over his own facial expressions, but it was merely a veil to conceal his continued surprise. Did Shishio too feel what Yoshinori was just now learning? It was a sensible assumption. Surely, Aritaka was more aware of the limitations of his own spiritual body than some former Third Seat that he just met. But...his intentions were to seek the counsel and support of one who shared in the ideals Yoshinori wanted to emulate.

He wanted Aritaka Shishio to be that Captain.

Watching the ailing man carefully as sleep eventually claimed him, Yoshinori moved to stand at Hitoka's prompting, turning on his heel to depart the chambers. Only when he neared the sliding door, did he glance back to the now sleeping Captain.

"You possess more faith in my ability than I do. I hope...I hope that I become as noble as you believe me to be." He said, more to himself than to anyone with the ability to truly hear him. Stepping out into the gardens, Yoshinori finally turned to address Hitoka one last time. After all, how could he not? She tugged on his sleeve.

"You have nothing to thank me for. This is...something long overdue." Watching as Hitoka retreated back into Ugendo Hall, the silver haired man took one last glance around the gardens, before the barest of smiles flickered across his visage.

Thank you.