Bleach Hereafter RPG

Setting Some (Under)Ground Rules

Player

Continuing to slaughter, kill, take. Life is to constantly sin. Life is evil itself.

nezuel Avatar

nezuel

Post by nezuel on Aug 16, 2022 16:22:25 GMT -5

Nezuel already had a way to materialize in the material world, their talk about the flesh suits and whatnot was not something he was interested in.  This combined with Takano's words that his use for his research on certain types of hollows...it seemed Vasto Lordes and above were beyond his redemption.  He wondered what that meant for Nezuel combined with the uncertainty of his actions and research of arrancar.  Nezuel certainly provided a good research subject but if it didn't work what then, would he be tossed aside?

"Visored" Nez would say, tapping a finger on his lips.  "It seems almost like a reverse arrancar.  Perhaps through years of evolution we were able to stabalize the process of creating arrancars from hollows.  Shinigami might be able to do the same and if the process was safe why not do so?" Nez tilts his head at the researcher.  "And why arn't you interested in it.  It seems like a way for shinigami to become stronger, to learn more about their natural enemies and even use their own abilities against them." Nez's eyes moved over to Laz.  "Not to mention the uses such power would have against quincies."

"Irisa did also mention something to me about Hollowfication as well, perhaps that is what she thought might happen...but think of it this way, if you seek to understand hollows then you would need to understand all aspects.  You have a standard, if powerful, Hollow in Asura and a hollow turned shinigami in me.  Perhaps the last key to the puzzle is a shinigami that has turned into a hollow." He gives Laz a raised eyebrow.  "Since it is very likly that hollowfication on a quincy is impossible."

Player

What is it that makes you tick...

Lazarus Jeager Avatar

Lazarus Jeager

Post by Lazarus Jeager on Aug 17, 2022 14:57:22 GMT -5

The Visored were a new sub type of shinigami he hadn't heard of, and judging from the descriptions given it made sense as to why. He imagined something that close to a hollow would be deemed an abomination and sentenced to execution, then again it posed a good question as to how they even survived the process.

"for them to survive means that shinigami have natural 'anitbodies' to hollow reishi, something we quincy lack. That being said I'd hate to imagine a world in which a hollow soul merged with another, I'd imagine it's a constant fight for dominance of the body and mind. Though that does pose an interesting question, if you could isolate whatever it is that protects shinigami from the soul suicide from hollow attacks, do you think it could be applied to a quincy to perhaps give them the same defenses?"

It was a shot in the dark, and probably not possible to do without potentially destroying at least one soul, but if it was it cold be ground breaking for the quincy race as a whole. It would likely help the process to find and sample from these so called Visored, but the likelihood of that happening was beyond him. Unlike others of his race he wouldn't pass up on something so grand as a form of defense against hollows if it came from the shinigami, though some might call him a traitor for even being in the presence of on.

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Aug 18, 2022 8:08:12 GMT -5

Niji looked questioningly at Takano as she closed the folder of notes, "Really? Given the average age of most Shinigami, I would assume that most are familiar with gigai. Those old Shinigami textbooks you dismissed in our first meeting mention them explicitly; I can not imagine the man that gave them to me is all that old, given his proclivities." A stone mug manifested in Niji's hand as she poured some coffee for herself as well. It was passable. She'd have to get Takano some good coffee beans at some point, Vice Captain Muimina had made a point about coffee in Soul Society not exactly being the best quality. It seemed his statement was accurate. "Either way, I do not see that knowledge being considered valuable enough to hide or protect."

The fullbringer tapped her chin, Takano's notes did not touch on Quincy or Fullbringers very often; in fact, the man had made it clear to Niji in their first meeting they were not of particular interest to him.  She gave a quick nod to Lazarus, "Quincy would be the exception though, not the rule.  To my understanding, most mortals, including individuals like myself, have these 'antibodies,' do they not?  Perhaps determining what quirk of reiatsu causes the Quincy to lose this defense could be a useful tangent to your research."

PLAYER

Shinigami - 12th Division

Don't kill me please.

Takano Hirai Avatar

Takano Hirai

Post by Takano Hirai on Aug 18, 2022 11:05:04 GMT -5

“Perhaps I should have made myself more clear.” Takano remarked to Gaia. “They are known fairly well to those of the Gotei 13. What I had meant was they are not common knowledge amongst the denizens of the Living World. Though I do have to admit, I never bothered reading through that textbook. I flipped through the first few pages during the academy before ridding myself of it. I had better sources of information and preferred learning true facts instead of the watered down drivel the meatheads learned for a passing grade.”

Takano took another sip of his coffee and glanced to Nezeul. “And why are you so interested in making it a reality? I wish for a peaceful way to deal with the Hollows that can be helped. It is antithetical to my entire work to ‘Use a hollow’s power against them’. To attempt such a thing would be an unnecessary risk that would not only endanger anyone involved, but lead to no new information regarding my research. Unlike my compatriots of 12th Division, Research is a means to an end for me, not a flippant excuse to act upon one’s primal curiosity.”

With one final sip of his coffee, Takano set the cup aside and crossed his arms. “I’d also recommend you cease these assertions of using this research to harm the Quincy. While they are harmful to the subjects of my work, they are not a major or current threat. We have one standing here offering to assist us, in fact. My work is to prevent violence, not cause it. End of story.”

With his point fully made, he’d turn around to refill his coffee mug. “As for your question, Lazarus, I am not an expert on the physiology of a Quincy. I don’t think anyone truly is given their small population and obscurity in modern times. That being said, I’d imagine your kind’s reduced antibodies to Hollows has some sort of tie to the powers you wield. To alter them in any way could result in an alteration of your powers. For better or worse. As Gaia said, it could provide an interesting research opportunity. But I’d prefer to keep my research on Hollows for now. I am one scientist, after all.”

Player

Continuing to slaughter, kill, take. Life is to constantly sin. Life is evil itself.

nezuel Avatar

nezuel

Post by nezuel on Aug 19, 2022 14:03:13 GMT -5

"Why am I so keen on it?" Nezuel would say with a curious expression.  Truth be told he could ask himself much the same question.  Why was this lowly arrancar so obsessed with getting stronger?  Perhaps the simple drive that had haunted him and controlled him as a hollow.  Perhaps because he had the same drive when he'd been human.  But much more likely was the way their species existed.  There was a clear ruler high above all other hollows, the Queen.  If she deemed it so then Takano's endeavor would be useless.  "When it comes to eliminating the hunger from within hollows, giving them new bodies, there is one large factor in your way...our Queen.  She controls all hollows aside from the Vasto Lordes, the stronger Duke Adjuchas, and the arrancars.  You might find your efforts brushed aside by her...unless she finds them amusing, and you don't seem like one to make her laugh.  There is...however, one way around that."

Nezuel pointed at himself.  "To control the Hollows of Hueco Mundo you need to rule them, remove the Queen and take her place.  I know you have no stake in that world, defiantly wouldn't want it, but its the only way for peace between our races.  Furthermore...hollows won't follow someone that doesn't abide by their rules...isn't at least partly hollow in some way."  Perhaps that was overselling it a little, he didn't even know if the Queen was a hollow after all.  "For cooperation between races perhaps it might be best to stabilize the Visoreds and have they work in Hueco Mundo.  Likewise...as an arrancar, perhaps I could even work in Soul Society."

Player

Lazarus Jeager Avatar

Lazarus Jeager

Post by Lazarus Jeager on Aug 19, 2022 15:25:28 GMT -5

If nothing else, it was interesting to find out more about the hollows and their way of existence, though he had assumed a violence based hierarchy was what they used for some sort of order. While what Nezuel said might be true, this Queen couldn't possibly have eyes on every single hollow, and likely a few going missing after going to the human realm would be written off as just carelessness and death at the hands of shinigami. From the way the arrancar was talking one might assume he wanted to take a stab at wearing the crown of hollow kind, something Lazarus didn't want to think about too long.

"So if these 'Gigai' are just empty shells for a soul to enter, would it stand to reason you could use it as the vessel for the hollow, or does this theory require a living host like this Asure individual? I've no clue how the things work but it just sounds like something you'd wear to walk around the human realm undetected, which sounds useful for any spiritual being without a physical form."

He'd pause to wonder how many people he passed on the street might be in a gigai, or how often they'd be used, he couldn't think of a valid reason to use one outside of recon missions in the human realm. His previous conversation with the other Quincy was making more sense now, though he'd think deeper on that later.

"Well if I'm alive by the time this is all done perhaps we can venture on research into why Quincy don't have the antibodies, but I agree, one project at a time. In regards to you working in the shinigami realm Nezuel, I'm not sure that would end well, I could only imagine the kind of mayhem that might cause. While I enjoy the idea of all races mingling and enjoying the same air, I'd argue we're leagues away from such a future, if even possible at all."

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Aug 19, 2022 19:24:12 GMT -5

Niji gave a dismissive shrug at Takano's remarks about the textbooks; it wasn't like they were hers, she had to take information where she could get it. The few that actually seemed to know things hoarded that knowledge like a treasure and were loathe to share it. She quietly regarded the conversation, she did not have much to contribute about the goings on of the Hollow Court, but it did seem that Nezuel had made valiant attempts to glean more information since their last meeting.

Given what she knew of Hollows, Hueco Mundo very much operated like the natural world. Raw power, be it speed or strength, tended to be at the top of the food web. While she had not yet met Asura, there was another option, being clever, having unique tricks, or using the nature of your would-be predators against themselves could offer a layer of insulation against threats. Or, as the resident Arrancar was suggesting, creating some sort of mutually beneficial relationship. That being said, she did not want to just attempt to install some other dictator; Nezuel obviously sought power, but not for any clear reason.

Either way, there was more to learn there, "While we are not here to plan a revolution, is there a particular reason they follow your Queen other than raw strength or power? Last time we spoke you said you knew little about her, but I did not get the impression she was particularly wise or cunning."

She shook her head at the Quincy, "Shinigami learned to manifest themselves to make themselves appear mortal without the use of a gigai; from what I understand, it was actually fairly simple, and as long as they can suppress their reiatsu, they would not raise any alarms."

PLAYER

Don't kill me please.

Takano Hirai Avatar

Takano Hirai

Post by Takano Hirai on Aug 21, 2022 10:37:37 GMT -5

Takano rubbed the bridge of his nose in slight annoyance. Was it truly the nature of these Arrancar to be so adamant on war and death? Perhaps they were closer to the Shinigami than he had first thought. “This project is not meant to further your own interests, Nezuel.” Takano said sternly. “I wish to broker a peaceful means to end the over two thousand year conflict my people have had with the Hollows. Not foster a violent uprising against this Hollow Queen. Those who wish to stop being hunted will come of their own accord, and likely already viewed as weak by the Hollow Queen. The Vasto Lordes would likewise have no fear of her power, since they overshadow her according to you. She wouldn’t have them within her forces, or likely have control of them in the first place. Hueco Mundo is a large realm which one entity cannot hold omnipotence over, certainly not a powerful, albeit normal Hollow.”

Takano took a sip of coffee. The Arrancar was, in a sense, attempting what he presumed the 12th Division would have attempted if they knew of his work. Using it to further their own goals or in some kind of violent manner. He was prepared for this and would remain stout against those seeking to corrupt it. “You must understand that by helping me with this, you have taken the route of nonviolence, Nezuel. There is always a way to end things without resorting to death. It is the foundation that my entire project is built off of. I will not pave its road to success with bloodshed.”

Takano returned his attention to the other two, who had been in quite the interesting discussion on Gigai. “What Gaia says is correct. As for other spiritual beings using Gigai, it is entirely possible I suppose. The only issue lies with the fact that aside from Spirits, Hollows, and any variation on them, there are no real beings who’d require such a physical form. The Quincy and Fullbringer are already human.” Takano paused to take another sip of coffee. “And regarding this idea of entering into the Gotei 13…” Takano glanced back at Nezuel. “It is a very dangerous one. 12th Division could capture you. And at that point, death would be preferable. If you think it is something you could pull off then by all means feel free to attempt it. But upon learning about your true nature… Well, let’s just say that the Visored were eradicated for being partially Hollow, according to the legends. It would not be a diplomatic mission. You would be going behind enemy lines.”
Last Edit: Aug 21, 2022 10:38:29 GMT -5 by Takano Hirai

Player

nezuel Avatar

nezuel

Post by nezuel on Aug 21, 2022 14:43:20 GMT -5

He had no idea about their kind, did he?  Was Asura an antisocial recluse to not tell the man the futility of his mission as it was?  The weak hollows that he believed might be tempted to their side, to be free from the hunger...why did he think the Queen would let them leave?  Surely there was something to be said for entertainment the first time...so perhaps she'd allow one to leave.  But the Queen wouldn't let any of her weapons, her tools, go without some sort of reason or compensation.  At the very least if she allowed them to gain a new body she'd probably want to keep a way to control them.

Nez held up his hand, accepting the defeat.  "All races shun me to an extent, I fear what would happen should the Queen find out about your experiments and your goal.  When that day comes we will need to be ready for the fallout." Nez looked at Lazarus and Takano.  "The shinigami would purify me, or torture me true...but I shudder to think what the imagination of the Queen could devise."

He turned to Gaia.  "Personality, no...but her power is obvious.  She is Hueco Mundo, every hollow not outside of her control is within it.  Imagine every single normal and lower menos hollow forming a legion...she has a way of getting into your mind, burrowing deep.  You have some control, sure, but not such that she couldn't grab it away from you...Its part of the reason I don't spend much time in Hueco Mundo or Las Noches."

Player

Lazarus Jeager Avatar

Lazarus Jeager

Post by Lazarus Jeager on Aug 23, 2022 15:29:06 GMT -5

Interesting to know that the Queen of hollowkind had some tangible form of influence on those under her rule, fear was a great motivator but actual control was better. It did hammer home the fact that hollows as a race were hard to tame, and it harkened to the power of their queen to be able to exert even any level of control over the majority of them. It was something he'd have to keep in mind when dealing with the hollows in the future, and if need be eliminate the ones who might bring whispers back to such a queen that a Quincy roamed the human world with a long leash.

"I am curious as to the Visored as a whole, though I'll not be caught looking for them anytime soon. It's both of the things that Quincy hate, shinigami and hollow, all wrapped into one being, and from what you said earlier they succumb to madness, no thanks."

While the rest of them spoke he would look about the laboratory, a mild curiosity getting the better of him as his eyes scanned the interior looking at what was in it. He hadn't moved from his spot, too concerned about getting close enough to harm the specimen that might be about the place. Being more or less just a soldier, the idea of science as a whole was one that left him wanting for more, hells he could spend the entire day just learning how things worked and be satisfied with the time spent. He doubted Mirai would entertain him with that for such a long time though, and let the thought wander into his subconscious.

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Aug 24, 2022 20:29:04 GMT -5

Niji hesitated; she had thoughts and questions, but now was probably not the time to bring them up. Nor, she assumed, were they topics of interest to Takano; gigai, materializing, and how exactly spiritual bodies functioned. The scientist Shinigami had made his area of focus clear, and did not particularly want to deviate on various distractions.

The Fullbringer was not still not entirely sure of the science behind visiting the other realms. While she had some interest in seeing Soul Society; she did not have a way to get there without relying on the person who brought her there to bring her back. There were no Shinigami she trusted that were strong enough to ensure her safety.

On that note, the strongest one that she had held a conversation with professed a desire for peace between the various spiritual entities. She looked up from the notes again, perhaps this bit was not for the new arrivals to discuss, so she left it vague, "Mister Hirai; are you aware of other Shinigami, other than those we have already discussed, that are interested in your pursuit of a peaceful solution?"

Nonetheless, something like the Hollow Queen sounded like it could be an issue to any real pursuit of peace, and she raised an eyebrow at Nezuel's description, "Interesting. Perhaps this is a foolish question, but is the Hollow Queen an actual hollow, or is she also an Arrancar?"

PLAYER

Don't kill me please.

Takano Hirai Avatar

Takano Hirai

Post by Takano Hirai on Aug 27, 2022 10:36:40 GMT -5

“Interesting,” Takano remarked, tapping his coffee mug in thought. “I wonder how she manages this control. It almost sounds like a bug hive. Hmph…” Takano shrugged. “You seem quite afraid of her power, with valid reason. There is, however, one thing you don’t seem to be taking into account. Her intelligence does not seem very high. We are not Hollows which could fall under her control. Meaning I could easily out plan her.”

Takano finished his coffee and set it to the side. “But, that being said, I still doubt she would be an issue in the first place. A child with unlimited power is still a child.” Takano said, taking a nearby seat and letting out a tired sigh. Spending so much time in Haven seemed to be taking quite the toll on Takano, both physically and mentally. But his faith in the project would keep him going. A proper diet and 20/20 vision were worthy sacrifices.

“I am not aware of any other Shinigami seeking to pursue my goals, Gaia. Aside from Yoshinori that is. I’ve had to keep it a secret. As I remarked earlier, the Gotei 13 would view it as another ‘Visored Incident’ in the making. I couldn’t risk asking. Even if there were others who were interested in helping.” Takano said, leaning back in his seat. “I must say, you’ve piqued my interest a bit with how this ‘Hollow Queen’ operates, Nezuel. Is Gaia correct in thinking she is an Arrancar, or is she similar to Asura? I’ve been noticing more unique Hollow Abilities which seem to make up for a vast difference in raw power. Asura lacks the ability to fight outside of his host body, but his host body can be quite powerful under the correct circumstances. The Hollow Queen similarly could be weaker than those she commands, but her command of them is her greatest power… I wonder if we could figure out a way to get into contact with her.”

Player

nezuel Avatar

nezuel

Post by nezuel on Aug 28, 2022 19:44:03 GMT -5

Nez would shrug.  "The only time I actually got to see the Hollow Queen was during my numbering." he thought back to that moment, the feeling of his blood running through a new body, then to the ground.  He had been a failure then, still was according to the number he'd received. "She has a crown of two horns...and spider like legs, but if it is an actual mask or not...I don't know.  In all aspects shes humanoid but doesn't look especially human.  So its likely shes either some kind of...psudo-arrancar or something entirely different all together."  He thought back on that day.  "Unfortunately, I won't be able to gather much information about it...I'm not welcome at court." that was an understatement.  "The only reason I would be allowed back would be for a numbering of an arrancar I created, and...I don't wish to do so."

The arrancar then looked over at the quincy he had brought here, eyes narrowing.  "Looking for them...that might be an option." he tilted his head.  "Arrancars are like stable Visoreds..perhaps if a hollow helped them they might be able to control those corruption powers that are turning them inside." He looked at Takano.  "I can only assume they're not in soul society anymore or they would have been found...assuming they actually exist and arn't simply a legend...finding them might be a good idea."

Player

Lazarus Jeager Avatar

Lazarus Jeager

Post by Lazarus Jeager on Aug 29, 2022 13:21:29 GMT -5

These were potentials and hypotheticals, which is most why Lazarus himself didn't speak up much in protest, though the idea of actually meeting the queen of all hollows or a visored was interesting, it could likely spell death for him a handful of different ways. It appeared as though he might be swimming with sharks, as long as he didn't let blood in the water he might just survive and get more information about hollow and visored kind when it was all said and done. The shinigami had near immortal bodies when it came to age, knowing of a few who had lived over a thousand years and looked marginally different in age. What he wouldn't give to have more time in this body, knowing he likely had a handful of decades left if he didn't succumb to any mortal wounds in the near future.

"So you're more or less kicked out of the house as it were, but you can still go to Hueco Mundo itself without issue I assume?"

Depending on whether or not the arrancar had a bounty on his head was something that needed to be addressed, he didn't think there was such a system in place for hollow, but then again what exactly did he know about them. For all he knew they could have a bustling city with a thriving economy all with their own currency, the image itself elicited a smirk as he thought about it, and how unlikely it was to be true.

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Aug 29, 2022 21:56:46 GMT -5

Niji frowned slightly at Takano’s comment; ”Childlike appearance or demeanor means little when it comes to spirits, does it not? Despite his youthful appearance and flirtatious demeanor, Nezuel is well over half a millenia old.  And we have just learned that the Queen has the ability to more or less directly control her subjects.  Assuming that a being like that has the mind of a child seems like a dangerous and flawed hypothesis, Mister Hirai.”

Apparently Vice Captain Muimina did not make his goals for peace publicly known, interesting.  There was still a lot to figure out about that mans motivations and methods.  She shook the thought from her head, looking at Takano’s clearly tired expression and demeanor; that might have come out harsher than the man deserved, her voice softened and she continued, ”But, as you say, you are so far ahead of schedule in your research, it might not be a bad idea to get some rest. Running on caffeine is not a good plan for mortals, much less beings that need reishi to stay operational.  I can help Nezuel document all he knows on the Hollow Queen, then you can form a hypothesis with a rested mind.”

The Fullbringer was, of course, aware of the hypocrisy of telling Takano he needed to get some rest; Leon would probably be lightly poking her in the side if he had been there. But he wasn't, and they knew nothing about her mortal affairs and the amount of sleep she did or did not get.  She turned to the two others. While she was curious about the situation in the Queen’s court, she did not want the two running off to their deaths, even if she had just met them, ”Similarly, as you are now, seeking out a group of possible half-mad unstable hybrids that may or may not actually exist seems like folly.”
Last Edit: Aug 29, 2022 22:04:08 GMT -5 by Niji