Bleach Hereafter RPG

Monochrome Methodologies: A Splash of Lavender

Player

I have nothing to say.

Milo Avatar

Milo

Post by Milo on Sept 8, 2022 13:13:45 GMT -5

As Cole explained what he had meant by the joke, Milo's nonexistent heart would have most likely started to crack like glass at that moment. As cole moved to pry her hands off his shoulders, she let him do so as she tried to let the words sink in.

Kissing probably didn't mean that much to him. Kissing probably didn't mean that much to him.

The lavender haired arrancar almost look like a puppy that was kicked to the side. If that was true, then perhaps those moments they had when Nezuel would kiss her forehead were just nothing too deep. Just someone to kiss and go on to the next? What ever it was she was feeling at the moment, she wished she could reach inside of herself and yank it out, the discomfort was something foreign to the usual emotions she was used to. This wasn't it, this was not fun...

"Ah...I guess you're right about that. Sorry about overreacting like that, ah.." Milo's internal crisis about how she felt over that statement would have to be resolved another time. For now, she forced herself to laugh and change the topic back to what Cole was doing.

"Haha, oh that Nezzy being a troublemaker. Sorry about his shenanigans, but enough about that. Um, I'm sorry I made you smudge one of the runes. I hope I didn't ruin any progress..." She pointed towards the smudge with a worried glance. "I can try and wipe it off? Or is there something else you can do?"

Player

I have nothing to say.

Cole Avatar

Cole

Post by Cole on Sept 9, 2022 8:16:54 GMT -5

Christ, that was apparently not the right thing to say. The voices from his zanpakuto sounded like they were jeering, was it upset with him for causing this woman distress? It was clear from the woman’s reaction that she had also received kisses from the other Arrancar, and the idea that they didn’t mean anything was probably not the way to calm her down. ”I…” Maybe if he said something about kisses having different meaning in various cultures? Or told her abo–

Oh thank god, she was changing the subject on her own.

He looked over to the smudge, a little bit thrown off by the slight derailment and swinging emotions of the lavender-haired woman, ”Oh. That's harmless.” Cole licked his thumb in a non-sensuous way, and just removed the smudge, then tidied it up with the dark chalk. ”All these markings are basically the draft. They’d function if I fed them the energy to fuel the spell, but right now it’s just chalk.”

He pointed to the tools on the black cloth nearby, the gleaming silver athame along with the hammer and chisel resting untouched on top of it, ”I can’t remember if I mentioned it earlier, but I’ll have to chisel out the rock and scar the tree. I’ve still got quite a bit left to get everything done.”

The woman seemed eager to help, maybe he could have her start chiseling out the runes in the rock he was sure about? Nothing in his research indicated it mattered who made the runes, the reiatsu fed into them and the accuracy was the big thing.
Last Edit: Sept 9, 2022 8:18:25 GMT -5 by Cole

Player

I have nothing to say.

Milo Avatar

Milo

Post by Milo on Sept 11, 2022 19:36:53 GMT -5

Milo sighed in relief as Cole quickly took to changing the topic. She would sort out her emotions later on, so she happily nodded along to what Cole had explained. It was a good thing the smudge wasn't a serious matter, so it could be corrected easily. The usage of runes and how they functioned was quite the interesting topic for Milo. It was all so new to her and the way Cole easily placed the runes was enough to make her eyes quite literally sparkle in awe.

"I'm glad I didn't ruin anything for you. It would have been such a shame...this looks like a lot of work and to redo each written marking doesn't sound like fun." Milo nervously laughed as she comfortably sat next to Cole and took a quick peek at the tools for chiseling the rock and tree. "I see, I see. So it's almost like you're carving a message but instead of a message it's to be able to have a permanent etch of the runes to feed? I wouldn't mind helping you out, Cole."

The lavender haired arrancar smiled sweetly, trying to keep her cheerful demeanor present as she wanted to make a new friend. If helping out Cole would ensure she could make a new friend, then she would gladly help him out with this. It was something new and perhaps she could learn from Cole on how to use runes and maybe other sorts of magic.

Player

I have nothing to say.

Cole Avatar

Cole

Post by Cole on Sept 12, 2022 22:01:20 GMT -5

While part of him wanted to, Cole still wasn’t ready to fully trust the woman; she was an Arrancar, after all. But an extra pair of hands was an extra pair of hands. Chiseling out the runes would take a good chunk of time.  Even if she purposefully was planning to sabotage the design, he’d probably be able to isolate and identify the problem, even if he couldn’t fix it, he might be able to make a workaround.

And, if he was being honest with himself, her company was nice. The afterlife had been a pretty lonely place for him, and while Shinigami didn’t always actively avoid him, few had been willing to just relax in his company for as long as this woman had. His strange reiatsu seemed off putting to most; for whatever reason, Milo seemed comfortable enough around him. It was pleasant to have company beyond the constant babbling of the nameless blade inside his own head.

Cole turned towards her with a nod, ”Yeah, exactly, it’s like a sign. Just writing it in chalk might give directions until the next storm, but if you carve it in stone it might last for centuries.”

He gave the woman a sheepish smile and turned back to the tree, drawing spiraling patterns and runes on the trunk in the black chalk as he continued to talk, ”I mean, sure, it’s hard work, but it is actually a little fun.   While I was alive I spent well over a decade documenting and researching various magical traditions.  I didn’t have any spiritual energy when alive, and I didn’t fully realize that was the missing link.  Now that I’m dead and do have the energy to fuel magick, I’ve been going a bit nuts with experimentation.  This whole setup is a proof of concept, a test of my research. Combining obfuscation, distraction, and illusionary spells in a more permanent array to make it so no one but me can find my little outpost.”

Cole laughed slightly, finishing up an elaborate pattern that encircled the trunk near the base. ”Who knows, maybe it’ll be too effective and I won’t be able to find it either.”

Player

I have nothing to say.

Milo Avatar

Milo

Post by Milo on Sept 20, 2022 20:28:27 GMT -5

Milo couldn't help but giggle at Cole's enthusiasm for his craft. To most, she had a feeling that Cole's reiatsu was unwelcome however she always held the belief to never judge a book by its cover. It was how she was able to cherish Nezuel and a certain newly made arrancar she watched over in her spare time. She could only imagine how joyful Cole must have been when he was able to finally actively practice his research once he finally passed.

"That must've been a wonderful moment in time for you. I wish I could remember my past life, but...from what I have been feeling since I opened my eyes, there has been nothing but a curiosity about the things around me. I'm sure you must've had stars in your eyes when your theories and research had finally held results." The lavender haired arrancar couldn't help but reach over to gently pat the top of Cole's head, almost as if she were petting a cat.

She hoped that she could be just as enthusiastic about whatever it is she put her mind to. With a hopeful resolve towards an innocent goal for herself, she reached over to grab the tools.

"Well, I'm sure with how good you are, you'll be able to find this in no time!" She gave him a playful smile and held up the chiseling tools he had mentioned moments prior. "If you need me to help out, I will gladly help you. You've proven yourself to be a wonderful individual to be around with, despite the weird reiatsu you have. It grew on me after we started chatting and I almost feel right at home beside you. Just show me what to do and I'll make sure to make you proud."

Player

I have nothing to say.

Cole Avatar

Cole

Post by Cole on Sept 21, 2022 18:03:45 GMT -5

Remembering his past life. That was what one of his major pursuits had been in life, once he had learned more about the afterlife. And he had developed a method to recall it all. Maybe he could help Milo rem–his Zanpakuto began to raise holy hell in his head, wordless screaming loud enough that he couldn’t even hear the last few words that Milo was saying. He tried to tune it out, focus on the runes at the base of the tree, to try and hear what the woman was saying.

The words quieted as a soft hand brushed his unkempt hair. Cole shook his head softly as the woman went over to grab his tools, he stood from his crouch as she continued her line of thought. As the woman picked up the chisel, Cole turned away, a small flush raising in his cheeks at the compliment that he’d rather the woman didn’t see. He was too on edge in this strange world of endless night to declare himself at ease.  And, while the Arrancar seemed too friendly and innocent to be truly believed, it was still nice to hear that it was possible to still be comfortable around him.

Still, he had an easy getaway if she did have some malevolent designs she was hiding exceedingly well, so there was no harm in giving her an task that would be easy to check, ”Well, I appreciate that Milo; and I thank you for your company.”

He gestured at a cluster of particularly thick runes along the edge of the circle, ”If you’d like to start chiseling out those runes, it’d be a good start.  Don't go father than the chalk markings, if you only want to do the insides, I can finish the edging later.  They don’t need to be deep, maybe a centimeter or so.  Keep it consistent if you can, try not to be less than that; but going deeper won’t hurt."
Last Edit: Sept 21, 2022 19:46:18 GMT -5 by Cole

Player

I have nothing to say.

Milo Avatar

Milo

Post by Milo on Oct 4, 2022 20:47:51 GMT -5

She couldn't help but pause for a moment, her golden eyes watching Cole with a subtle tinge of concern but kept her sincere smile as she nodded eagerly with the desire to help. The lavender haired arrancar began chiseling into the chalk drawn runes with a careful precision as she listened to Cole's instructions. He would make for a great instructor, if it would mean anything to the male.

"Not too deep, but keep it consistent. Not too deep, keep it consistent. Not too..." Milo muttered under her breath as she kept working the tools, concentrating in making each chiseled rune precise and perfect for what Cole needed. Almost like a chant, mostly for herself, as to make sure to keep the man's instructions close. She didn't want to screw it up for Cole, that was the last thing on her mind.

"Would it even be considered consistent if I did go a little deeper? I can always make them deeper if it helps??" Milo asked as she kept her hands busy with chiseling into another rune symbol. She was fairly certain she would be better suited at chiseling into the runes than the edges. She wasn't as confident in even thinking of offering up her help for that, she was afraid of messing up Cole's progress if she did.

"Hmmm...you'd make for a great teacher, Cole."

Player

I have nothing to say.

Cole Avatar

Cole

Post by Cole on Oct 6, 2022 21:47:10 GMT -5

Cole smiled faintly as he finished the markings on the tree. He looked over the Arrancar’s shoulder as she focused on her stonework. It certainly seemed like the woman was putting forth a good faith effort; he might not even have to even out the work later. She even seemed somewhat anxious that she was going to make a mistake, which was a little surprising, ”The depth in any individual rune isn't critical, it doesn't even need to really match the runes around it, but the important part is each rune has a smooth base.”

He leaned down next to her to pick up the athame off the black cloth, looking at her work, he gave a quick nod, "You're doing fine." The shining silver of the ritual knife glinted in the moonlight as he muttered a few words, as he finished the brief incantation, the silver darkened and light seemed to be sucked into it. The Shinigami smiled faintly at her comment, ”I was, before I died.”

The Shinigami made the first cut into the tree, the enchanted tool easily cutting into the bone-white wood with a steady hand. As he started scarring the tree with the ritual marks, he continued, clearly reminiscing as he spoke, ”At Oxford. Intro to Mythology, Comparative Religion, Western Esotericism, Magic in Medieval Society, a few others.”

He laughed softly, ”Four point seven on ratemyprofessor dot com, perfect hundred for 'would take again'.”
Last Edit: Oct 6, 2022 21:49:24 GMT -5 by Cole

Player

I have nothing to say.

Milo Avatar

Milo

Post by Milo on Oct 12, 2022 22:46:59 GMT -5

Milo listened to Cole's mini lecture, proof of his talents when it came to his guidance. She was worried that her performance wasn't the best, as it was her first time doing something so foreign to her. Her many worrying thoughts were soon calmed as the shinigami assured her of her fine handiwork so far. Being so eager to please, she brightened up with a smile in response to the small praise.

"Thank you, Cole." Her voice happy and chipper in tune.

Of course the rest of what Cole had mentioned afterwards was enough to practically make her eyes sparkle in awe. She couldn't quite understand what an Oxford was or what even was a ratemyprofessor dot com. She was unfamiliar with such terms, but with his vast knowledge of his craft could only show the expertise in his field. Precise and patient teaching, lectures worth the sitting and a very interesting air about him that would catch just about anyone's attention. The lavender haired arrancar couldn't help but clap in acknowledgement of such proud accomplishments, well from the sound of the wat Cole had expressed himself.

"I don't know what either of those things are, but it sounds like something worth celebrating! You should start your own lectures sometime soon! I think you could help your allies make quick advancements and changes to whatever it is they would need to accomplish tasks and missions." Milo happily praised as she continued to etch the runes as precisely and careful as possible.

"...once the runes are finished, what will happen?"

Player

I have nothing to say.

Cole Avatar

Cole

Post by Cole on Oct 14, 2022 19:14:05 GMT -5

Cole smiled slightly, of course the woman would have no idea what the internet was, she had mentioned not remembering her past life. Even if she had; it was possible that was long before the creation of the internet, and depending on the part of the world she had lived in, it was just as likely she had never heard of Oxford.

The Shinigami continued carefully scarring the tree, smoothly tracing the chalk with a practiced hand, ”Well, nothing; I have to fuel it with spiritual energy first.  The detection and filtering spells I mentioned should come online first.  That will allow the other spells to tar…get…”

Shit.

He trailed off as he glanced over at Milo, a sinking feeling forming in the pit of his stomach. Once the spell was complete and he began fueling it, this place would theoretically fade from her sight and mind, not to mention some of the offensive spells might trigger on her. Despite the Arrancar’s help, the runes were not designed to have any exceptions except Cole himself.  It would be challenging, but not impossible, to add an exception for the woman, but did he even want to?  She had been helpful, but she was still, in theory, an enemy of the Shinigami.

Sure, it was nice to have her around, but it was not like she was going to be here whenever he hopped here to experiment. Maybe it would be better to make sure no one, including her, could find it. He could always pretend it failed, and then come back later to actually power it up.
Last Edit: Oct 14, 2022 20:42:05 GMT -5 by Cole

Player

I have nothing to say.

Milo Avatar

Milo

Post by Milo on Oct 18, 2022 20:18:41 GMT -5

Milo tilted her head with an oblivious smile as Cole trailed off. Perhaps he had been distracted by something in the distance? She peered curiously around before reaching over to playfully poke Cole on the cheek. A gentle little touch that only repeated the action in a split second as the lavender haired arrancar looked to the shinigami once again.

"What's got you distracted, Mr. four point seven? You were going to explain what the runes will target...right?" Milo asked with her curiosity bleeding through her question. She sincerely wanted to know, but something in her gut made her feel as if that was not a question to be answered. She retracted her hand, holding the chiseling tools pensively while humming an aimless tune.

Perhaps it would be best to avoid an uncomfortable outcome, especially if the back of her mind was making her begin to feel anxious. Like all of her problems, she would much rather run away from them than face them head on.

Everything would be fine if she did so. Everyone would be fine. She would be fine, she always has been.

"Ah, I shouldn't get distracted! I'll probably mess it up if I sidetrack!" Her quick and clumsy topic change made her scramble to get herself back into the rhythm of finishing the rune symbols.

Player

I have nothing to say.

Cole Avatar

Cole

Post by Cole on Oct 19, 2022 17:55:18 GMT -5

Did…did she really not get it? Well, probably better that way, it was increasingly likely that this was not an act, and this woman really was as airheaded and ignorant as she seemed. If he changed the filter spells to sort her out as well, she’d probably end up telling other Arrancar where it was, even without malicious intent. She just seemed so eager to please that it was probably dangerous.

He shook his head, laughing awkwardly at the cheek pokes, ”Ri-right. Yeah. So once the spells have their targets, there are a few effects that take place. So, like I said earlier, first are the simple persistent ones, making this little stone island look like the rest of the desert from a distance, as well as dampening the signature of the energy that powers everything. A mild feeling of dread to put off instinct-based critters. Basic obfuscation stuff, pretty much.”

Maybe he could sneak in a time delay with chalk that would fade away in time, or just put in the reiatsu in a wrong way; pretend the whole thing failed. It was a bit of a betrayal, sure, but the fact that he was making nice with an Arrancar was probably against all sorts of regulations anyway. Wasn’t that what he wanted to talk to his traitor-hunting superiors about? A Shinigami working with an Arrancar.

”Granted, these are fairly weak, and a skilled or powerful creature might make their way through them anyway. So then comes the second line of defense, and the first active one.”

Cole turned and continued scarring the tree as Milo got back to chiseling, ”The distraction and diversion spells. Basically, subtle mental effects, like making the target forget why they’re coming out here. Making them suddenly remember an important task they need to do elsewhere, things like that.”

He paused for a moment, seeing if the Arrancar would come to any conclusions, or if she was just enjoying his voice and his company. It made him feel pretty bad about the inevitable trick, she was working pretty hard to help him, and it was nice to have her around. Maybe he could whip up a quick trinket so she could talk to him if she was feeling lonely.

Player

I have nothing to say.

Milo Avatar

Milo

Post by Milo on Oct 24, 2022 21:22:05 GMT -5

Milo could only keep chiseling away, each whack becoming slightly louder with each hard smack of the tools. Vain attempts in trying to block out what ever it was that Cole was saying. The arrancar wasn't stupid, she could be naive and oblivious to certain situations, this however was different. Her subconscious was loudly screaming at her foolish attempts in befriending the wrong people. Being starved of genuine affection and constantly being drowned in her solitude in her lonely days caused her many moments of anguish.

If it wasn't one thing, it was another problem being thrown towards her. Trying to be friendly to some stranger, desperate for a new friend, perhaps was not her best decision. Yet here she was, biting the inside of her cheek to keep herself grounded and keep herself busy chiseling into each rune.

It wasn't until Cole said the last bit of his explanation that Milo lost focus for a split second, when her hand loosened its grip on the sharp tool and absent mindedly slammed the hammer down, she managed to accidentally injure herself on the sharp end of the tool she was using.

"Ah, sorry. I didn't quite catch that last bit, was a little lost in my thoughts for a second there." Milo blurted out as a quick cover up to her blunder. She wasn't...no, she was fine. This was fine. Everything in her life at this moment was fine.

Sure getting the short end of the stick sucked ass, and yeah her friends left her alone, even the newly met friends did the same, but hey! Maybe that's her role in her current life. It wouldn't matter if it hurt to feel unwanted, she would be fine afterall. She always was, so she will.

"I might've gotten just a little bit of blood in that one rune...ah, it doesn't look good...the chiseled bit that is." Milo sighed as she chose to ignore the obvious open gash on her hand as she took the tools in her hands to continue her ministrations. It stung to grip the tool tightly in her injured hand, but she persevered. If anything, she wanted to at least get this task finished before she was inevitably forced out of the area once the runes were activated.

It would be ok. This is fine. At least the physical sting was more bearable than the pain she felt on the inside.

Player

I have nothing to say.

Cole Avatar

Cole

Post by Cole on Oct 24, 2022 22:14:24 GMT -5

Cole stopped his work on the tree as he heard something that was distinctly not stone hit with the chisel. The arrancar had injured herself, and was doing a poor job of keeping the hidden as she turned to continue working the rock. The blood was also a dead giveaway.

The Shinigami swiftly moved to her side and kneeled down next to her, ”Milo, stop; let me see how bad it is.” He gently grabbed her wrist and he took the chisel out of her injured hand; he let the chisel drop to the ground as he looked at her wound.  It was bloody, but the gash in her palm didn’t appear to have severed any tendons, hell, it was practically a scratch for most supernatural beings. But a glance at Milo’s face made it clear that the woman was in a surprising amount of pain, despite the injury appearing fairly minor.

”It’s okay, it’s not that bad.  I can take care of this; no problem.” Cole reached into the bulging satchel on his belt and pulled out a small piece of red cloth with a white sigil on it. He placed the cloth over the wound, where the sigil immediately was stained red with the Arrancar’s blood.  He sandwiched her hand between both his and began to incant something; the strange vacuum that was his spiritual pressure increased. While it was clear he was putting some energy into whatever magic he was working, there would be an unusual, maybe even even uncomfortable, pull towards him from her hakusui.

As he completed the healing incantation, the pain in her hand would stop. Cole released her hands and gave a reassuring squeeze on her shoulder, ”If you need to take a break, that’s okay. I can work and you can talk. After all, you haven’t really told me all that much about yourself yet.”
Last Edit: Oct 24, 2022 22:17:49 GMT -5 by Cole

Player

I have nothing to say.

Milo Avatar

Milo

Post by Milo on Oct 30, 2022 20:36:27 GMT -5

Milo was about to retort that the gash wasn't that big of a deal as her skin was slowly stitching itself together. Her hands trembled as Cole showed a sort of gentle concern over the inconvenient wound. The arrancar could only let out a dejected sigh as the shinigami tended to her injured hand, feeling rather uncomfortable during the healing process as Cole's incantation broke her deafening silence at the moment.

"Mm..." Milo acknowledged as she looked at her now healed hand, another soft sigh escaping from her lips as she watched Cole take over her work. The sound of chiseling tools hitting stone. She pulled her legs close and rested her chin against them as she retreated into herself.

"I...don't know what to talk about in regards to me." Milo slowly began, she wasn't used to someone asking something in relation to her in general. What was there to say? What was there to tell?

"Um...I'm just a lonely little arrancar who dislikes fighting. There isn't anything too amazing to say. I walk around Hueco Mundo while my only friend leaves to go on dates with whatever catches his fancy I guess..?" Milo struggled to find something at least somewhat interesting or eye-catching about herself. She couldn't just say that she was outright left to her own devices for a long stretch of days that start to mix with one another and causing her to go through an existential crisis.

"I've visited the world of the living one time, but I was immediately dragged back here only to get reminded as to how much I dislike fighting by said friend. Hmm...is this even considered talking about myself?" The arrancar asked as she winced at the memory when Nezuel dragged her into a sparring session that only made her self worth drop lower. A moment that only proved how useless she is for her companion. She was better off being cut down than to weigh the man down...

There went her good mood. Milo sighed yet again, something that she had become quite the pro by how many times she's done so.