Bleach Hereafter RPG

Becoming Nobody (Solo)

Player

What is it that makes you tick...

Lazarus Jeager Avatar

Lazarus Jeager

Post by Lazarus Jeager on Oct 16, 2022 9:16:27 GMT -5

Lazarus had returned some hours ago from the human realm, going straight to the vast libraries to do research on how best to execute his plan. He walked the isles plucking various books off the shelves, a book on realm travel, a book on what was the best tool for Quincy to summon their weapons with, another on how the framework of how they escaped into their hidden realm. He was stoic as usual on the outside, keeping a calm demeanor as he found a place to sit and read away from prying eyes, opening the first book with a sigh.

The first book was set aside after about an hour, his hands coming up to rub his eyes as he took a small break, looking around to make sure people weren't paying attention to him. The last thing he needed right now was someone questioning him about his book choices, he wasn't sure he could keep up the lies long enough to get out. The library was scarce this day with people, thankfully not too many people came here just to be here and read. He opened the second book and began skimming the contents, this one was more so just looking for a potential upgrade to his current cross, unfortunately it took a matter of minutes to determine that they hadn't made advances in their crosses any time recently. It did speak on the releases of their people, but he was already aware of those, having seen one or two in training practice by those who had just unlocked their release and wished to show off. Setting that book to the side he would flip open the book about how they escaped into their hidden realm, scanning each page for some sort of insight on how it might be possible to do it again elsewhere. Sadly there was nothing about how they actually did it, more so leaving it a mystery and making their ruler out to be the savior they all portrayed him to be.

Not wanting to take any chances on being found out, Lazarus would go about putting the books back where he found them himself, the idea of someone seeing the pile of books grouped together was a risk he wasn't willing to take. Walking out of the library Lazarus made his way to his room in the barracks, walking leisurely, or giving the appearance of doing so. He more so wanted to see who was out right now, the darkness above stark against the white buildings. He needed to be sure that when he made his escape there would be as little people out as possible, his mind mulling over routes and who might be wandering them. Passing the mess hall his stomach growled, while he didn't want to get side tracked it would be bad for appearances sake if he didn't get something to eat when hungry, with a sigh he turned back around he walked in.

There were a handful of people here at this time, the dinner rush having been maybe an hour or two ago, time was difficult to tell here. Looked like there wasn't anyone he was familiar with, nor anybody that didn't like him, so he figured now was as good a time as any to get something to eat. A bowl of soup and a couple of rolls of bread later and he'd be much better off than when he walked in, and with a full belly he could think a little clearer. Back on track now, he made his way to the barracks, keeping to the shortest route while walking a little faster to avoid getting stuck in some conversation he didn't want to be a part of.

With a click he'd lock his door behind him, sighing deeply as he collapsed onto his bed, the stress of all of this getting the better of him. His room was pretty barren, nothing on the walls or shelves, only a small bookshelf on the wall filled with his favorite books, most of them either on combat tactics or how to talk your way through most scenarios you find yourself in. The lack of possessions and personal items only further exemplified how little he felt for his Quincy blood, how little he felt for anyone in this god forsaken place. He had planned to pack some things but now that he was here it really sank into him how he didn't have anything he even wanted to take, it was depressing in a way, to have nothing of value in a place you should call home. That was the story of his life though, never really feeling like he belonged here, but not knowing what else was out there for him. Sitting up from the bed, Lazarus looked around the room once more, deciding on if he wanted to bring anything at all, knowing he couldn't even bring the clothes with him as it would give away who he used to be.

There was something about this that left a deep well of sadness in him, he had no real identity outside of being a soldier for the Quincy army, about to throw it all away because nobody asked the bigger questions, and everybody shut him down when he tried to ask them for himself. To abandon this life was to cast himself into an unknown world with little to now friends, few allies outside of those that the Arrancar had introduced him too, and no support from here on out. It wasn't shocking to him to suddenly realize how depressed he was about it all, but it hurt to think that this was the only option he had in order to do what it was he wanted, and to know that he would likely find death if he ever returned to this place. No tears fell, nor did he cry out in anger, simply sitting and wallowing in the weight of his decision, wondering what would have happened had he not been raised by the bastard he called father. Truly he thought that maybe his life would be different if that man hadn't treated him the way he did, the scars that littered his body aching at the thought, the depression slowly welling up into anger. As much as he wanted to through the bed across the room or shatter the mirror and book shelf into pieces, he knew it would cause someone to come see what was wrong, and even now he was thinking of how bad that would be for his plan. A pitiful excuse for a chuckle escaped his lips, all but dying on them as he shook his head, pushing himself up and off the bed to stand in the center of the room.

There might not be anything he wanted to take with him, but he felt that he needed to go back to that house where it all began, to the people who turned him into this mess of a person. His feet carried him, but his mind was on how he would address them after such a long time, what would be different. Did they perhaps have an other child, would his father try and kiss up to him now that he was of a higher station than his father, would his mother even come down to look at him. The questions churned through his mind over and over again, and before he knew it he stood just a handful of yards away from the center of all his grief and despair. The house looked so much smaller than it did when he left, the lights on in one of the windows, his fathers study to be exact. Walking up the street, he'd hesitate at the gate, years of beatings flashing through his mind as he stood at the threshold of the property. He stood there for maybe a minute just looking at the house, feeling small again for the first time in a very long while, that familiar pit in his stomach forming as he finally crossed the invisible line the gate made for him and making his way up to the door.

[1365/3000]

Player

What is it that makes you tick...

Lazarus Jeager Avatar

Lazarus Jeager

Post by Lazarus Jeager on Oct 18, 2022 22:55:44 GMT -5

Three knocks on the door, firm enough to be heard from anywhere in the home, but not so hard that it gave the impression of violence or anger. It was a comfortable looking abode, two stories tall with a brick wall surrounding it leading to a gate at the front, which he had passed through to get to the door in front of him. It was more of a Victorian style building, lanterns hanging from either side of the entrance, the brick painted white to match the ascetics of the Quincy. A handful of moments went by as Lazarus stood at the door, waiting for anyone to answer, wondering if anyone would even come to the door at this hour. Unfortunately for him someone would come to the door, he heard the lock turn and the deadbolt of the upper lock retreat from its home in the frame with a loud 'thunk'. He was met with the sight of his mother, looking maybe a handful of years older than when he was young, but not so old that wrinkles had set in yet. There was a mixed look of shock and confusion on her face, as if she were being visited by the ghosts of her past, he was sure there was some form of irony here.

"Is he awake?"

It was all he could muster in the silence that hung in the air between them, her gaze going from him to the stairway behind her, then back to him. She gave a soft nod, opening the door enough for Lazarus to walk through, closing it and locking the top lock behind him. He stood taller than her now by a good head and a bit, something that he never thought about since he left, and now something he couldn't stop thinking about. Wordlessly she led him up towards the study, he could see the tension in her gait as they walked, both sad that he could make his own mother tense, and yet strangely happy that she felt some form of unease while he was in her presence. It felt like an eternity to get to the study door, though in reality it was no more than a minute, he could feel his heart beat racing in his chest as he stared at the door. As hard as it was to do, despite how much he thought his own mother might deserve to watch what would likely be the fallout of what her husband had caused, Lazarus still held something for her in his heart. Somewhere deep down he knew she probably didn't want for her only child to be abused bay in and day out, that the arrange marriage wasn't what she wanted for her life. He looked to her with a sad smile, and with a motion back towards the steps, gave her the one free pass to escape the fallout, one last courtesy to the woman who brought him into this world. All the tension and fear slowly drained from her frame, genuine surprise painted across her face, which would soon be replaced by the beginnings of tears as they filled her eyes. She stifled her voice to avoid alerting the boogie man behind the door, but reached out to embrace her son one last time, her grip tight on his arms as she struggled to not weep openly into his chest. Memories of his childhood before his fathers teachings flashed across his mind, long forgotten emotions welling up to the surface, though he kept them at bay just long enough to give her a one armed hug and a kiss on the head. As his mother hurried down the stairs Lazarus gripped the doorknob, he had to stop himself from ripping the door off its hinges as he turned the knob, the creak of the door swinging open slowly echoing through the otherwise silent house.

"I've told you a thousand times, If you're going to come in please knock fi-"

The words died in his fathers throat as he looked up from a book to see Lazarus standing in the door frame, a cascade of emotions flashing across the bastards face as his son stepped in and closed the door behind him. His steps were slow and paced, his boots punctuating each foot fall until he was standing opposite his father, in front of the large mahogany desk that the older man sat behind.

"...Why after all this time have you returned?"

His father had a calculated gaze, trying to figure out what the end goal of his son showing up at random was, if this was his last night alive, if his son had seen the error of his ways and come home to thank him for all he had done. It was proof that the man hadn't changed since Lazarus had left, proof that he was still the weak man that tried to raise his son to be everything he couldn't be.

"I came to tell you what you're decisions have gotten you in the end, how they shaped me, and how those choices led me to the decision I've made tonight..."

In this moment they were complete opposites, his father cold and calculated, Lazarus struggling to keep his own emotions in check long enough to string together another set of words to form a sentence. It was startling how similar the two looked, Lazarus could be a carbon copy of his father, something that had always bothered him. His father paused a moment to assess, and once he deemed his death not imminent he would raise a hand for his son to continue, sitting back and giving Lazarus his undivided attention.

"You know, as depressing as it is to think about what you did to me, I've read enough books to understand why you did it. I can rationalize why a man without power of his own would want his own son to be better than himself, I can even understand the rage and disappointment when you thought I was the same as you. I've spent almost the entirety of my life trying to understand how you could do what you did, but there's still a part of me that thinks you just enjoyed abusing me. That you had found someone beneath you to make you feel powerful, and that you derived some sick form of satisfaction in mercilessly attacking your own son day in and day out. I can understand why you did it, I know the psychology behind it, but I'll never forgive you for it.

Because of you I came to hate how the Quincy do things, how little they question about anything at all outside this realm, how they think that they are somehow better than the other races that exist in the other realms outside of our own. I tried to be the total opposite of you and your Quincy pride, all to try and get away from you and this hell you made from our home, and it cost me what little I could try and get in that army. I have more enemies inside those barracks than I think I could make anywhere else, they all but call me a traitor to my people because I dare to question the way we do things. But most of all I started to question what else there was in the universe, and because of that I've travelled outside our realm countless times, and I've seen things you couldn't imagine exist. Things that demand our attention, but because it doesn't fit the wants and needs of his Majesty they get ignored, and for what, so we can sit and wait for some promised day to come that we know nothing about?!"

The pot was boiling over, his voice raising as what started as a soft speech started growing into a louder monologue of his life. His fists were so tightly clenched that the knuckles on both hands were turning white, his words dripping malice with every syllable. His father took a long look at his son, hands draw together in front of him with that same cold and calculated stare.

"...and yet you're stronger than I could ever hope to be. I do not regret my choices, nor do I regret how they shaped you, you have grown to be independent, self reliant, but most of all you've grown to want to get stronger, no matter the cost."

The silence that fell over the room was such that you might hear a pin drop, Lazarus would hear his heart beating in his ears, nails digging into the skin on his palms as what little control he had left vanished. His arm swung out at the contents of the desk, all the books and papers flying off in a flurry of chaos. That same fist would come down onto the desk, the thunderous cracking of wood echoing through the room as his breathing became ragged, the desk now broken down the middle. Putting both hands on either side of the crack, he would toss the halves of the desk aside, hitting the bookshelves lining the walls to send more books and papers flying, one of the bookshelves creaking as it fell over with another thunderous slam. Despite all of this his father didn't shake or startle even once, simply pushing the chair back a bit to avoid being hit by the desk. Lazarus walked the two or three paces up to his seated father, grabbing the front of his shirt and pulling him to his feet as he all but screamed into his face.

"You pushed all your hopes and dreams onto a child who didn't even know what his own dreams were, you robbed me of any other future happiness and that's all you can say?! "

He didn't give the man a chance to respond, tossing him back into the chair with a roar of anger, doing everything he could to not commit murder this night. His father righted himself in the chair, dusting himself off, waiting for the other shoe to drop with a cold stare. It took a full minute and some seconds for Lazarus to collect himself enough to speak again, an all but defeated expression worn on his face.

"Well you got what you wanted, I am stronger than you, far stronger than you could every hope to be as you say, but I won't waste it here. I came to here to tell you that all that hard work amounted to nothing, because I'm leaving this realm, and I'm never coming back. I went looking for the options you robbed from me all those years ago, and I've found at least one or two that I'd rather be a part of instead of this. If I'm reported and found I'll be executed, if I'm free I will be a part of something that would oppose the Quincy as a whole, either way I'm taking what you worked towards and throwing it back in your face. You get to live the rest of your days knowing that you're legacy dies tonight, to know that despite everything, you're still left with nothing. Goodbye Father, may you lay awake at night knowing you were never going to be remembered, and that your sole heir has forsaken you to that indignation..."

Lazarus didn't wait around to see the look on his fathers face, his feet carried him as quickly as they could to the furthest point of the realm, the rage and malice leaving him with every step. What was left was a hole of sadness and depression, it threatened to swallow him whole. As he made it to the forests he would step through it into the human realm, finding himself in one of the parks in the city he had first met the arrancar. He was emotionally and physically exhausted, and with what little energy he had left, Lazarus made his way to the rooftop that they had met on so many moons ago. He collapsed onto the cool stone on top, looking up at the night sky to see stars for what felt like the first time in a long time. Tears would well up in his tired eyes, and as they fell so to did he into unconsciousness, hoping to find a better tomorrow.

[3426/3000]
Last Edit: Oct 18, 2022 22:56:37 GMT -5 by Lazarus Jeager