Bleach Hereafter RPG

Nostalgia (Iwan/Hibano)

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Memories broken, the truth goes unspoken...

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on Nov 27, 2022 13:04:57 GMT -5

Hibano

Valentina?!

That was unexpected. When Niji first came across Hibano, Valentina, or rather Val, was the first idea that she brought up when she was confronted with the soul inside of his body. That was obviously nonsense, and whatever rationalizations that woman tried to came up with hardly made any more sense, either.

Yet, here Hibano was, confronted with the same name from another, actually trustworthy source. And connected to Yael, as well. It shocked him so well that he almost lost his grip of Iwan's rifle when the other Quincy began twisting it and sent a knee to his stomach. The shock got him to lose his aim on his opponent, too, so Iwan could easily get out of dodge, and Hibano's instinctive shots hit nothing but the nearest wall.

"Yael... and Valentina..." he muttered under his breath in the middle of their struggle. Hibano tried firing off a few more shots and forcing himself through the kidney shots and slams - with arms spread wide, he struggled against Iwan's arms, making sure to remain on his feet and keep hold of Zal-Pokuta. "If... they're still somewhere there, I need to find them. I'm... not familiar with Valentina at all, but Yael is very familiar."

Sadly, Iwan hasn't seen where he was for a long time. According to Niji, Valentina was turned into a Hogyoku and then destroyed a few days before their first meeting. By how certain, and angry, she was about that, it... probably did happen. If Yael and Valentina always tagged along, like Iwan stated, then Yael must have been involved in that battle, too.

Logically, Niji would be the first place to go to ask about this information. But, Hibano had to stay in Schatten Bereich for the time being, until he figured out his Quincy abilities - and even then, he and Niji... had a pretty rocky start. It'd also probably mean hearing more "fight the spirit possessing you that brainwashed you into thinking you're her son!" crap.

Hibano was forced into a wall with a loud thud, but clutched onto the rifle nonetheless.

"Maybe... one of them can explain a little about what happened to me, too. I don't really like to mention it, but... a few months ago, something happened to me that made me forget a lot of things about my life. And might have messed me up a little. I don't have much of a lead of how to piece my past back together, but... maybe Yael will give me some explanations."

The fight, meanwhile, was starting to get frustrating. With few other options how to get Iwan off him, Hibano went for the last resort. Suddenly, he sent his knee towards Iwan's groin, at blinding fast speeds.

PLAYER

The only thing I know for real...

Iwan Kosnik Avatar

Iwan Kosnik

Post by Iwan Kosnik on Dec 2, 2022 15:20:59 GMT -5

Rule number one of combat, protect your most vital assets. Iwan had taken that to heart after years of training in combat. He could not wear a helmet, or most armor for that matter, as it would act as a detriment to his fighting style. But there was one piece of protection Iwan never entered battle without.

Ting

Iwan felt Hibano’s leg impact his groin. The damage was minimal, but the force still caught Iwan off guard. If not for his safeguard, that could have very well ended the training battle. And sent Iwan into an early retirement… He’d take the opportunity this made and locked his inner thighs against Hibano’s leg. Instead of wrestling the rifle from the kid's hand, he would force it towards himself and hoped Hibano’s head followed. At the same time, he’d attempt to headbutt Hibano. Iwan released control of his rifle and quickly retreated regardless of the results. His hand hovered over another Seele Schneider.

“That was a cheap shot, kid. Something I’d have done. It’s why I was prepared for it. But, uh, rule of thumb for the future. Try to save that for the enemies. We’re running out of Quincies as it stands…” Iwan said, preparing himself for a retaliatory attack. Hibano seemed intent on figuring out his past. Who he was, where he truly came from, and more. Hopefully it wouldn’t take precedence over his loyalty to the Wandenreich.

“You have been given a great opportunity. You are unknown, with a fresh slate and nothing to burden you. Your past does not shackle you. If you seek it out, that could change. Do you really think it is worth risking everything you have, or could have, now?” Iwan asked. His family had forced him upon this path of self destruction against the Shinigami. If he could forget it all, return to Celeste and her orphanage, grant Yukari some reprieve in thinking her friend would soon be no longer… He’d take it without hesitation. One cannot change their past, but it can certainly change them. Sometimes forgetting is for the best.

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on Dec 4, 2022 14:07:44 GMT -5

Hibano

Impossible. The groin is supposed to be any person's weakness, how did Iwan shake it off? Sadly, it was not unbelievable mental or physical discipline as expected of a mentor, but rather a protective armor layer placed in this vulnerable location that softened the blow. Still, it was dangerous, as not only did Hibano's strike end in failure, he was now also left vulnerable to a counterattack.

The leg he used for the kick was pinned and the teen suddenly found himself pulled forward, then, struck by Iwan's forehead, he bounced back. The surprising blow briefly got his hold over Zal-Pokuta to slip, and only Iwan letting go of the weapon entirely made sure that it remained in his grasp. After he stumbled back from the knockback, Iwan commended his efforts, though also ordering the teen to avoid crushing the ovaries of Quincies while they remain scarce in numbers.

"Uh..." Hibano muttered, briefly taken aback by the specific wording. "I... okay then... I'll try to avoid it from now on, mister Kosnik."

He could tell that Iwan was getting ready to pull out a new weapon - given that he did not have his rifle with him any longer, it was even expected that he'd draw a weapon to compensate. Now, the older Quincy said nothing about how durable the Seele Schneiders were, so he'll have to learn from experience. Suddenly, Hibano raised his Spirit Weapon and unloaded a few shots at Iwan, aiming for his belt of Schneiders, seeking to destroy them before he could draw one and activate it.

"I understand that..." Hibano answered Iwan's advice. Simone had told him something similar, too - that there is no reason for him to listen to others and blindly search for his past, when he could carve his own future. "But, well-" He paused with a sigh. "My life feels rather aimless. It's a fresh slate, but... it also leaves me with nothing to grasp or follow to achieve all those things I could have. And... I thought that I could perhaps find that purpose by figuring out where I came from, and what they are like. It's worked so far - had I abandoned any search for my heritage, I would have never found the Wandenreich, after all. I would have never learned about the Quincy, and that my people need someone like me to help them."

Briefly, he lowered his Spirit Weapon. "The last thing I want is to just be an aimless drift - I want to be involved, I want to... help people."

PLAYER

Iwan Kosnik Avatar

Iwan Kosnik

Post by Iwan Kosnik on Dec 7, 2022 14:38:50 GMT -5

“And now,” Iwan said, tightening the grip on his Seele. “You have a purpose and something to grasp onto. You’ve succeeded in preventing that aimless drifting you are worried about. And in doing so, you have found possibly the greatest means of helping humanity. Are you certain you wish to risk losing that for a bit of clarification?”

Iwan drew his Seele just as Hibano shot at his belt, obliterating whatever remained of them. This kid got a bit too fire-happy with the below belt shots… Iwan spun to the side and quickly closed the gap with Hibano. He’d slash at the kid several times, attempting to make them as unpredictable as possible. Given Hibano was experienced with a blade he would no doubt manage to effectively defend against the strikes. Iwan was prepared for this, and after the final strike had produced a Ginto Capsule in his left hand. It pointed straight towards Hibano.

“Tilt the Goblet to the West, Wolke-”

The Capsule would immediately and violently burst open. Iwan’s hope was that the concussive force was enough to release his weapon from Hibano’s grasp. If not, well, he always had his fists. Iwan came skidding to a halt on the opposite side of the training arena.

“You are young and easily impressionable. I was as well. If you learn something of your past which conflicts with our mission here, it could lead you down a path of self destruction.” Iwan remarked, wiping a bit of dirt from his cheek. “Even the most logical of views pale in comparison to the flames of emotion and passion. Given how young you are, I’d imagine that flame burns quite high. You may turn to old allies who conflict with us, attempt to adopt ideals which go against our own, all in the hopes of finding some sort of identity. But I believe you already have one and simply need to allow it time to grow. However, if this is truly important to you I won't attempt to dissuade you any longer. I only ask that if you choose to continue... Just be very cautious that you don’t lose who you are now to who you once were.”

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on Dec 8, 2022 14:48:17 GMT -5

Hibano

Hibano's shots destroyed all but one of the Seele Schneiders attached to Iwan's belt - and the other Quincy drew the one, igniting it and swinging it. That was rather problematic - with his Spirit Weapon in one hand and Zal-Pokuta in the other, he had no melee capability, and so could only back away and dodge the swings. They were fast, and came from various sides, although they were not as threatening as Iwan's shots.

He followed it up with a Ginto flick, a brief incantation, and a subsequent powerful shove which sent Hibano across the room. Though he held onto his pistol, Iwan's rifle fell off his fingers and then slid across the floor of the training ring.

That was... something. If the Ginto capsules had to be used with such incantations in order to apply their effects, then he will have to study them and learn sometime in the future.

What the older Quincy was saying, though... was something else. Briefly, Hibano stared back at Iwan in disbelief. Not bothering to mince his words and stating that he should devote himself to the Wandenreich - an ideal and an identity which he might abandon if he continues delving into his past. It even worried the teenager, in a way, to hear the insistency that discovery of his past might make him turn away.

Did Iwan... know who he was, and refused to tell? Did he suspect that a skeleton from the closet of the Wandenreich was involved, and would make him lose his faith in the Quincies if it was discovered? It piqued Hibano's interest, and it urged him to discover more. And if what Iwan was saying was true, and it did become clear that the Wandenreich were not to be trusted... why shouldn't he abandon them?

After all, he wanted to be a good person, perhaps even a hero. For now, it appeared the Wandenreich offered a chance to be one, according to his heritage. But... it's only been days since he joined, after all.

He kept these thoughts under wraps, and slowly rose up to his feet from the flight of the Ginto concussive blow.

"What is the ultimate goal of the Wandenreich, then? How are we going to help humanity, like you say?" he asked. With his hand, Hibano reached to the side - now that his other hand was free, he pulled onto the Asauchi, flying it into his grip and briefly swishing it across the air, before starting to walk forward. "I'm... still not clear on where exactly we're going towards. Is it just to protect Quincies and give them a place to live, here? Or, are we... planning for something else?"

With his Asauchi, he suddenly lunged forward, aiming to overpower Iwan's Seele Schneider and throw the older Quincy to the floor, where the spar might finally be called.

PLAYER

Iwan Kosnik Avatar

Iwan Kosnik

Post by Iwan Kosnik on Dec 10, 2022 14:02:12 GMT -5

It had seemed his spell had thrown Hibano into quite the daze, as he stood briefly simply looking towards Iwan. He’d lean down and snatch his now freed rifle from the ground and check it over. Pokuta had received some minor scratches which slowly dissipated with a soft blue glow. The beautiful thing about Spiritual Weapons was their lack of need for maintenance…

“I’m surprised they have not yet informed you of what we are or why we fight. Quite foolish to expect one to follow something they do not understand.” Iwan said, placing Pokuta on his shoulder. “For hundreds of years, humanity had to defend itself against the hollow threat. This is what led to our creation. Warriors specialized in the protection and destruction of any spiritual threat. And it would remain as such, until our war with the Shinigami. They would use unjustified claims to strike out at us, resulting in a genocide of our people and forced exile, lest we go extinct. Now they claim our birthright as protectors of humanity. An insult given their horrendous record of failures.” Iwan’s face grew cold and distant as memories of his dead family flooded his mind.

“They viewed us as a threat to their order. So, like a cruel dictator, sought to wipe us from the earth. Ours is a simple goal. We wish to return to protecting humanity and avenge those who the Shinigami had wrongfully stole from us. The Gotei 13 is a chaotic and barbaric society. So long as they stand, justice shall never be served.”

Iwan brought his Seele to block Hibano’s attack, loosening his grip on it so both the blade, and Hibano himself, would fall past him. Despite this attempt at trickery, Hibano had proven Iwan’s suspicions correct. With the skills of an adept swordsman, he would manage to force Iwan to the ground. He had not, however, seemed to account for the rifle which Iwan had pressed against the young man’s stomach.

“Shall we call it a draw for today?”

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on Dec 12, 2022 5:30:11 GMT -5

Hibano

Iwan may have accounted for much, but now that Hibano was armed with a sword of his own, it was a matter of time before he fell - thanks to his bond with his Fullbring, his ability to wield the Asauchi was enhanced to supernatural levels. After pushing Iwan to the ground, Hibano aimed his sword down to seal the fight, but Iwan pointed Zal-Pokuta in his hand into the teen's chest to force a draw.

Disappointing, but not too much. He was still training, and both of them would fight very differently if this were a real fight to the death, rather than a mere spar. Hibano lowered his Asauchi. The sword's sheath, lying besides one of the walls of the training area, began to levitate, floating up to the sword and sheathing it.

"I've heard conflicting views, so I wanted to hear what you think," Hibano explained himself, noting Iwan's confusion on his interest in the goals of the Wandenreich as if he hadn't heard of them, and moved his foot off his mentor. To overthrow the Shinigami... he wasn't sure how to interpret this. He knew very little of the Shinigami, and whether they were truly monsters and dictators or whether their side of the story had anything to tell.

Yet... something in his mind was nagging that perhaps Iwan was saying the truth. The mere name "Shinigami"... it inflicted him with a sensation of deja vu, and not a sympathetic one.

"Thank you for the training, sir, I'm... not sure if I would have been able to figure this out for a while without your help," he continued as he looked down at the Spirit Weapon in his hand. It dissipated into particles, leaving behind the same small Cross hanging on his palm. "Though... I still want to keep my Asauchi around, even if I train how to use this. I think... if I manage to blend my Quincy and Fullbringer ability, I can achieve skill even higher than each powerset individually."

PLAYER

Iwan Kosnik Avatar

Iwan Kosnik

Post by Iwan Kosnik on Dec 15, 2022 16:38:40 GMT -5

“My views are as I’ve told you” Iwan said, swiftly jumping back to his feet and wiping the white-brick dust from his uniform. “The Shinigami committed genocide upon our kind for the position of Humanity’s protector. Yet under their ‘watchful eyes’, my family was slain. Do you think it is just for one to take such extreme measures for something they evidently care little for?”

Iwan swung his rifle over his shoulder, a white strap forming to keep it in place. He’d take a moment to check over his gear and armor. Quite a few gadgets had been lost in this little spar. If Hibano kept up like this, he’d be well on his way to a far better position. That would have been the end of it if Iwan hadn’t caught Hibano saying something a bit… Interesting.

“Fullbringer? I’ve dealt with their kind before, but I’m surprised that a union between our kind is possible. They receive their powers from Hollow Reiatsu if I am correct… Something which is intrinsically toxic to Quincy.” Iwan remarked. The only known Quincy-Fullbringer relationship he recalled was Valentina and Yael ironically enough. Yet a hidden Gemiecht or disgraced pure blood partnering with a Fullbringer likely would not be an impossibility. And it did beg the question: How many of these hybrids could possibly exist? They would be a powerful addition to the Wandenreich to be certain.

“But, in any case, I do recommend using any and all tools you have within a proper fight. Just make sure you do not allow that to excuse yourself from your Quincy Training. I would also recommend studying our history and battle tactics. Unlike the Shinigami, we value much more than just your ability to fight. A leader must be intelligent, strong, and capable of leading his men through hell.”

Last Edit: Dec 15, 2022 16:39:22 GMT -5 by Iwan Kosnik

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on Dec 17, 2022 9:03:18 GMT -5

Hibano

Iwan held a lot of pent up aggression towards the Shinigami, it seems - not just as a part of the ideology of the Wandenreich, but for personal reasons as well. He lost his family, to someone, while the Shinigami did not protect them in the way they should have. Hibano briefly looked down to the ground, giving it some thought. He still did not know what happened to his family, and whether the Shinigami were involved or caused what happened to him. Iwan was sceptical about the prospect, but Hibano had already decided that this was one direction where he wasn't going to listen to the other Quincy.

Iwan's attention quickly shifted to the Fullbringers - it having been confirmed that Hibano was not just a Quincy, but a Fullbringer as well.

"From what I... understand, most Fullbringers are born that way, yes - but since we don't come about from lineage, but from getting exposed to spiritual energy, there's... a lot of ways how a Fullbringer may gain their powers. My powers aren't Hollow-like, and even those whose are only carry a trace," he explained. He couldn't actually put a finger where he had this information from - it just seemed like it survived whatever wipe of his memory he had to survive in the past, without the context behind it. "I... don't think someone being both is all that common."

Whatever the case, Iwan did not discourage Hibano from using his Fullbringer side, as long as that did not distract him from training with his Spirit Weapon. He knew as much - a ranged weapon from his Quincy side would be an incredible addition to his arsenal, and expand his options significantly. Peppering, say, with bullets instead of slashing him about would have kept him safe from all those cleave attacks...

The older Quincy had a lot of homework for him beyond the bow, anyway. Reading about history, tactics, leadership...

That didn't sound right. He's not a leader here.

"I... thank you, I'll keep that in mind."

Already preparing to depart from the training area, Hibano turned towards Iwan one more time. "If I... needed you for anything, not necessarily training... where can I find you?"

PLAYER

Iwan Kosnik Avatar

Iwan Kosnik

Post by Iwan Kosnik on Dec 19, 2022 18:38:26 GMT -5

The young man revealed a bit more to Iwan, some things that Yukari had mentioned and some that she had not. Ever since interacting with her and Valentina, he always had the notion that perhaps the Fullbringers had been meant to take the place of the Shinigami as humanity’s protectors. This was before he knew of the Wandenreich, of course, but the notion had ensured he always kept an open mind when dealing with them. Even despite their own possible toxicity towards his kind.

“No, I don’t imagine so. Fullbringers and Independant Quincy are equally rare. To find a union of one is a one in million chance. I suppose we should count ourselves lucky you managed to find your way to us before the Shinigami Scientists captured you for experimentation” Iwan said, half jokingly. “As for where to find me, I tend to reside in the second floor barracks when not training. The Central Section of the barracks should host all Non-Commissioned Officer Quarters. Otherwise I will be here.”

Iwan looked over Pokuta once more, noting her newly acquired gashes before they faded away. Reishi could only be used to restore it to the form it had upon transformation. Pokuta had seen two of his family members through two great wars, bearing scars that would never heal. Soon… she would see her third, and perhaps her most important.

“Always aim to achieve a higher rank, Hibano. Remus is a great Emperor, but he requires men who are willing to take action. Men who can convince him of what needs to be done. If you wish to help people, that is where your future lies. With the Sternritter.”

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on Dec 20, 2022 17:22:37 GMT -5

Hibano

There was something of an agenda in the way Iwan was speaking to Hibano, the teenager could tell as much. He perceived someone of future importance in him, someone who could make a change in the Wandenreich, and encouraged him to eventually rise up to the rank of the Sternritter.

The Sternritter? Weren't they, by far, the strongest in the entire Wandenreich? The leaders of the entire army, who have served the Emperor for generations... how could he possibly end up among their ranks? He wasn't even sure if he was all that talented compared to the rest of the Quincy...

Hibano did not reveal this hesitation, however.

"I'll... try, Iwan."

With his final words to his mentor, Hibano departed from the training grounds, briefly mulling over the events of the spar, and what he learned of Iwan and the Quincy, throughout. He looked down at the cross hanging off his hand. Once he returns back to his quarters, he should give the Spirit Weapon more practice, and figure out how to keep it stable without needing much conscious effort. Iwan was right, there - he had to develop his Quincy abilities further. Learn more about their society. What exactly has he signed up for, and what can this society tell him about what his path in life should be?

One thing was certain to him, though.

Even as a Quincy, establishing myself in the Wandenreich, I can't forget my original mission.

He will still need to gather the pieces of the Hogyoku to free his mother from the prison that his body has become, and thus finally answer all of the questions about who he was and what happened to them both.

Except... she might be surprised by his new choice of clothing, and friends.