Bleach Hereafter RPG

Nostalgia (Iwan/Hibano)

PLAYER

The only thing I know for real...

Iwan Kosnik Avatar

Iwan Kosnik

Post by Iwan Kosnik on Nov 7, 2022 18:21:43 GMT -5

Iwan stared ahead at a stark white wall. Dark, jagged lines swept haphazardly across its surface, scarred from years of abuse. This was a simple training room, and yet it was older and stronger still than most nations on Earth today. It had been seen and used by every Quincy since their fall from Earth. From the lowliest Private up to the greatest Sternritter. The thought amazed him. So powerful was the Emperor, that he could make a simple structure such as this immortal.

“Yet, here we sit. Inactive and cowardly…” Iwan muttered to himself. Celeste had seen to it that he could join the Wandenreich. For this, he would be forever grateful. But there had been far more to his goals than simply serving the Emperor. He wished to speak with him, find why they had not gone on the offensive, why they stayed inanimate while the Shinigami galavant across their former home. What he received was the rank of Private after a particularly difficult basic training. While it was true he had a reasonable amount of power, he was no soldier. Months passed before he brought himself above such a menial rank. Even still, he was stuck with being a Sergeant and no closer to his true goal.

A door opened off to his right. He had been informed that he would be training someone who would be joining the Vorhut and possibly even his squad. Why they dragged him out to do it, he could not say. An older Lieutenant would enter with a young man following loosely behind. The man had gray eyes, black hair, and a dour demeanor. Something was oddly familiar about him, but Iwan couldn’t quite put his finger on it.

Iwan stood at attention, the Lieutenant holding a hand up to grant him ease. “I apologize for the sudden notice, Sergeant Kosnik. But our remaining trainers are tied up with new recruits. I thought of giving you the chance to…” He would twirl his mustache, thinking of the right words. “Prove yourself. You seem quite intent on achieving the rank of Officer, but an Officer must be capable of teaching as well as leading. Besides, he is quite powerful and you are particularly good at dodging.”

Iwan gave an emotionless nod despite the welling anger at this wound to his pride. Was this all he was good for, a glorified target dummy for those poised to succeed? Or had this Officer actually intended to grant him some kind of opportunity. The Lieutenant gave a nod before Iwan could respond and made his exit. Iwan glanced over at the young, familiar man.

“Do you have a name?” Iwan asked, stepping over to a set of training instruments. Various dummy tools and capsules intended to simulate, but not truely inflict the effects of a Quincy’s arsenal. “And, do you have a musical preference? I enjoy training with music. Particularly the classics…” Iwan removed a small disk and placed it into an equally small CD player. Still stuck in the 2000s, Iwan thought to himself.

“I am Iwan Kosnik. Sergeant of the 5th Drużyna.” He’d state, picking his rifle up off the table. After a quick inspection, Iwan gave a nod. It had been a long time since he used Pokuta. “We may begin when you are ready. I’d like to get a test of your abilities first. See if you are truely as powerful as that Lieutenant said.” As he finished speaking, In the Hall of the Mountain King would begin to play. It was one of his favorites.

Last Edit: Nov 7, 2022 18:21:59 GMT -5 by Iwan Kosnik

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Memories broken, the truth goes unspoken...

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on Nov 8, 2022 3:11:38 GMT -5

Hibano

Hibano followed after his Lieutenant through the halls of the headquarters of the Vorhut Division, walking in complete silence. The old jeans and jacket got ditched, and he took on a sharply white uniform instead, a tunic not unlike that of a priest. Ironically, the complete opposite of the one Shinigami he met, who wore pure black. He was looking down at his hand, where a small Quincy cross on a chain was hanging, and inspecting it.

After he was officially inducted into the Wandenreich and received the Cross, Leonina gave him a brief explanation of how he was expected to use it. A Quincy's key ability is the creation of spirit weapons from ambient Reishi in the atmosphere, using the cross as their focus. Not too unlike a Fullbringer, though there were differences.

Hibano struggled with it so far, however - not just because he was still mastering manipulating Reishi in such a complicated form, but also because he had been so used to his Fullbringer abilities, and the Asauchi as his focus. It was definitely not an insurmountable wall, however, and he figured that all he needs to pass it is more training.

The Lieutenant led him to a chamber within the fortress, a scarred white room which had a somewhat older man with a short beard stand there - whom the commander introduced as Sergeant Kosnik, and explained that he was going to be Hibano's teacher. He certainly appeared aged enough to be someone's mentor, at first glance - not even counting the fact that, apparently, there were Quincies who lived for centuries and still retained a youthful appearance.

"Oh, um... I don't have a preference for music..." the teenager answered, briefly confused by the Sergeant's question. A bit of a non-serious start to their conversation - and, annoyingly, he knew basically nothing of music at all. He couldn't remember anything that he might have preferred before his loss of memory... "My name is Hibano. Thank you."

The officer then gave his full name - Iwan Kosnik - which briefly caught his attention. The teen blinked, staring at Iwan with narrowed eyes, then continued:

"Have-have we met before? I'm... not sure where, but I think I've heard your name before..." Answering Iwan picking up his rifle, Hibano pulled out his Asauchi, and held it up, above his head, for a defensive posture. For now, without a Spirit Weapon of his own, he would have to fight with his Fullbringer side.

PLAYER

Iwan Kosnik Avatar

Iwan Kosnik

Post by Iwan Kosnik on Nov 8, 2022 12:43:32 GMT -5

The young man who Iwan now knew to be “Hibano” would seem fairly startled at the sight of his rifle. A reasonable reaction, albeit unwarranted. Iwan had no intentions of a surprise battery. With a slight smirk, he would set the butt of his rifle on the ground and lean on it. Despite its age, a combination of Reishi infusion as well as a special care regimen had ensured Pokuta’s infinite durability.

“I’m surprised they allowed you to bring that within the Schatten Bereich.” Iwan remarked, referring to the odd blade Hibano had pulled in defense. It looked similar to the ones used by the Shinigami, though it lacked any personality one might expect from a Zanpakuto. “This is a training room for Quincy, so I recommend you use Quincy Weapons.” He’d say, beckoning to the table filled with dummy-gadgets.

“I don’t recall ever meeting you before. Though you do resemble an old friend of mine. Goes by the name of Yael. I haven’t seen him in quite some time, but you would be a near spitting image of him…” Iwan said, finally answering Hibano’s odd question. If it wasn’t for that odd, but familiar aura that the kid exuded, he might’ve assumed it was Yael in disguise. “But, we can save questions for later. Let’s focus on the training, tak?”

Iwan pushed himself off his rifle and spun it around, stopping so the side of the rifle was presented to the young man. “Your Cross is your first and last line of defense. Without it, you are weaponless. You do know how to manifest it, don’t you?” Iwan tapped his own cross, which acted as the bolt of his rifle. “You have several means to support and/or supplement this weapon. The two most important being your Ginto, these small capsules, which may be used to cast various spells. It is a difficult art to master…” Iwan said before tossing a small pouch towards Hibano.

“The second, and likely the one you would enjoy most, is the Seele Schneider.” Iwan said before drawing what seemed to be a handle. He’d toss the thing towards Hibano as well. “You may use these as a Blade or as an Arrow.” Iwan drew another and activated it with a sudden flash of light. The blade was thin, fairly short, and gave a soft whirring noise. “They are fragile weapons. Typically only good for one or two battles. It is why we carry more than one.” Iwan said, shattering the blade with his hand before tossing it aside.

“Get familiar with these tools. Until you’ve mastered your bow, you will be relying heavily on them. Speaking of, would you mind manifesting it now? I wish to see how powerful your arrows are.”

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on Nov 8, 2022 17:12:30 GMT -5

Hibano

Hibano lowered his Asauchi from its defensive posture when Iwan ordered him to put the sword aside and switch it out for Quincy weapons. That was fair - a fresh recruit like him needed the practice in Quincy arts, though the order to use Quincy weapons did briefly get him to glance away in worry. After all... he had none.

"Yael..." Hibano repeated after Iwan when he mentioned the Quincy he found similar to the teen. Yet again, that name has been brought up to him - whoever this man was, he must have some close relation to him, by blood or otherwise, to invoke this reaction. Asking around in Schatten Bereich didn't give Hibano any leads on Yael, however - though he still had to visit the Schwarzwald manor. Briefly spinning the blade in his hand, he slammed it into its sheath, and then took the sheath off his back, placing it against the nearest wall. If he is here to train in Quincy abilities, then he needs to fight the mere temptation of resorting to his Fullbringer side.

Iwan handed out a few support weapons - first a small pouch of concentrated Reishi capsules, named Ginto, that Hibano sloppily caught after a toss. Each one was a miniature canister of energy that could cast spells - he wasn't sure how well he was going to be able to put these to use in the heat of battle, but they were nice to have as a last resort, as he figured. The other was Seele Schneider - which got tossed at Hibano while he was still inspecting the pouch, and so he caught it bouncing between his hands and almost falling to the floor, before getting a good grip of it. It was a glowing saber - fragile, but useful for a few fights as a melee resort.

"Thank you, Sergeant Kosnik..." Hibano answered and briefly bowed. The Seele Schneider can be attached to his belt, and the Ginto capsules... perhaps somewhere beneath his tunic, where they can be safely stored and pulled out when necessary.

Both were support equipment, however, and as Iwan asserted, the real weapon of the Quincy was their bow - which he ordered Hibano to manifest. The teen looked down at the cross resting on his palm, then sighed and replied:

"I'm... sorry, but I... don't know how to manifest it. I'm trying, but I haven't been able to pull it off yet... Is it supposed to be easy?" The mere thought, emboldened by how nonchalant Iwan was about summoning his Reishi weapon, was driving up anxiety for him. "I've been able to pull onto and manipulate Reishi as long as my remember, boost myself and focus on my weapon's soul... but creating a Bow works against those instincts."

PLAYER

Iwan Kosnik Avatar

Iwan Kosnik

Post by Iwan Kosnik on Nov 9, 2022 13:02:26 GMT -5

“What?”

Iwan was caught off guard, to put it lightly. He had expected to train someone with at least enough experience to manifest a bow. This was… difficult. But Iwan had been in Hibano’s shoes at one point. Even now he struggled to form a bow without Pokuta. And something about the young man kept Iwan from lashing out, as he might have done with a different recruit. Perhaps Hibano favored Yael a bit too much.

“Hmph. Well, you at least have a basic concept on Reishi manipulation. I take it you aren’t an Echt Quincy?” Iwan remarked, smoothing his uniform. “The purebloods often find it easier than the Gemischt. Even so, it can take some effort for someone so late into life. We are often taught early in life…” Iwan trailed off, thinking how pathetic he himself must appear to his fellow Echt. Struggling to form a simple bow with all the cards in his hand. Iwan rubbed the back of his head and gave Hibano a weary grin. “You have no reason to apologize, Hibano. Let us start from the beginning then.”

Iwan grasped his Cross and presented it so Hibano could see it clearly. “The Cross of the Quincy is not like a Shinigami’s Zanpakuto or, assuming you know of them, a Fullbringer’s Fullbring. We are not attempting to make a connection with any sort of soul for assistance. We are instead focusing on the weapon itself.” Iwan would hold up his hand and form a small ball of bright blue reishi as an example. “Our connection with our weapon is not Master and Servant, but Blacksmith and Tool. We forge our weapons through constant mental focus, manipulating every atom of reishi in just the right way. The Cross is simply a handle, much like the Seele Schneider.”

Iwan would evaporate his collected reishi with a bright burst of light. “Do not focus on trying to connect with the weapon. Focus on building it. Reishi is our material, not our friend. After all, one does not ask the opinion of steel when forging a weapon with it.” Iwan said, placing a hand on his cross and pulling it back. Pokuta would quickly reform into the odd amalgam of Zal-Pokuta, a mixture of Rifle and Bow. He hoped his explanation would get through to the young man, as it was how his own grandfather taught him to manipulate reishi as a child.

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on Nov 10, 2022 16:22:27 GMT -5

Hibano

Iwan was shocked by Hibano's inability to form his Spirit Weapon, but surprisingly took it in stride in spite of how expected of anyone in the Wandenreich he described him as. Right as the older Quincy accurately guessed that he was not an Echt, he glanced away to the side and answered:

"You're right, only my... father was a Quincy. I only learned that I have Quincy blood not too long ago, and lived on Earth for all of my life. So I... never got a chance to learn Reishi manipulation like this." That naturally came with the presumption that something happened between his father and mother that made them separated and so left him ignorant of the other half of his origin. What that was and whether his father was even still alive was completely beyond him. Perhaps the Schwarzwald manor will hold some answers, but until then, these guesses were all he had to make do with.

While Iwan explained the fundamental difference between Cross, Fullbring and Zanpakuto, Hibano looked down at his hand, and the small cross which rested on his palm. Ever since he received the artifact from the Emperor, he could feel an implicit connection between himself and the cross, but, much like Iwan advised him to not do, he assumed that this meant a connection similar to the Zanpakuto. Something about developing together as partners.

Iwan did not believe in that. Their Bow was a tool, it did not have a mind of its own like a Zanpakuto does, it is a weapon with which to shape their will, and that is how he should imagine their relationship as.

"Right..."

Holding his cross on a displayed palm, Hibano closed his eyes and began focusing on the Reishi particles scattered across the training ground. Something did slowly start to take shape - specks of spiritual energy were gathering above, blue and glowing brightly. Slowly, they were constructing into something, then-

"-Huh?"

Right as Hibano opened his eyes and his concentration briefly broke, the Reishi particles dissipated into nothingness.

"Ah... damn it," he muttered under his breath, cursing himself. It got a little closer than before, but still... "With how casually you described having a Bow as, this feels like being the last student in the class..."

PLAYER

Iwan Kosnik Avatar

Iwan Kosnik

Post by Iwan Kosnik on Nov 11, 2022 16:25:27 GMT -5

Hibano had attempted and subsequently failed to form his Heilig Bogen. A Gemischt would typically have trouble learning the basics of being a Quincy. Having one attempt to learn them at such an old age was going to take quite some effort. The kid must’ve been something special if allowed to even join at this stage. Iwan sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose.

“Would you prefer it if I shouted it at you?” Iwan said half-jokingly, checking over Pokuta for a second. He’d clap the bolt back down and walk to Hibano. The kid, despite his baby face, was a solid few inches taller than Iwan. Without a word, Iwan would hand the rifle over to him.

“I am an Echt. I was also a part of a fairly well regarded family, at least on the Living World. We did not know of the Wandenreich sadly. My ancestors fought and died for Remus, as some of the greatest warriors and hunters I could think of. Yet I cannot summon my own Bow without assistance from that rifle. It is a shame I am likely to never overcome. But you, in that moment, had almost managed to summon one with little to no training.”

Iwan gave him a solid slap on the shoulder. “You obviously have talent. One that goes beyond what is in your veins. Training is what will make that difference, and becoming so disheartened in the face of failure will only serve to cripple yourself even more.” Iwan said as he retook his rifle and spun it around, leaning on it as if it were a walking stick.

“You almost had it, but you made one major mistake: Losing concentration. There is a very important reason why we are referred to as Monks of Destruction.” Iwan said, tapping his forehead. “You must focus. Push every other thought aside, as if meditating. It is difficult at first, but over time the act of summoning it will be as simple as snapping your fingers. Try again. Do not open your eyes to see whether you have achieved it or not. Do not break your concentration under any circumstance. You will know when you have succeeded without needing to look.”

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on Nov 12, 2022 10:05:43 GMT -5

Hibano

After Hibano's another failure to summon his Spirit Weapon, Iwan approached him directly and placed his rifle in the teenager's hands. Quite old, reminiscent of the bolt action rifles from World War I, and a bit heavier than he initially anticipated. As Iwan explained, this rifle was a tool with which he was able to form his Quincy Bow - in spite of his pure blooded birth and heroic lineage, this was the only way he could accomplish this.

"Well, I wouldn't mind using a rifle to help form my weapon, either..." Hibano briefly lamented as he handed the rifle over back to Iwan, then returned to his cross. Iwan treated it as a shame that he could only build his weapon with Pokuta, but if it works, then it works... right?

"Alright, again..."

Hibano closed his eyes, focusing on the same process he had on his mind last time. Once again, slowly, Reishi particles began to gather in his palm. Though he remained focused instead of opening his eyes, for a few times, it did not seem like he was going to make any progress - glowing energy built up in his hands, before partially dispersing again like fickle wind, only to slowly start rebuilding again. The teen's expression turned more and more tense, and increasingly agitated. As if he was trying to pour water with a sieve.

Letting go of his tension and taking a breath, he tried again. This time, the Reishi particles gathered in his palm more slowly - and the process showed marked improvement. It took form and began to settle into a more stable shape, though not a bow. On instinct, with his hands still closed, Hibano clutched onto it.

He held a pistol, colored silver-gray, still trembling and only somewhat holding together even with all the mental focus Hibano had to constantly put into maintaining it, which he then aimed at Iwan.

PLAYER

Iwan Kosnik Avatar

Iwan Kosnik

Post by Iwan Kosnik on Nov 15, 2022 17:06:55 GMT -5

The kid had done it! In such a short time, no less. It appeared to be a pistol of some kind, perhaps an American 1911 or Desert Eagle. It seemed Iwan’s rifle had a bit too much influence on the kid’s focus. But that was besides the point. Shape did not make the weapon. Iwan went to congratulate the kid before finding himself at the end of its barrel. That made Iwan chuckle.

“A bit on the smaller side.” Iwan remarked jokingly “I appreciate the readiness to fight, but forming it is only one aspect. I can see your hands trembling. It is a struggle to keep it formed, tak? You are currently conditioning your mind. Much like one would condition their body. It will get easier eventually, but this is why I do not wish for you to do as I do. My weapon is a weapon of necessity. By the time I needed it, I had no time to condition my mind. I needed to survive. You don’t have that restriction, and you may become far more powerful than I”

Iwan quickly spun his rifle around, hand on the bolt before quickly jumping back into the center of the chamber. He’d take a moment to funnel the ambient Reishi into his cross as two bright blue “strings” of Reishi formed along the arms of Zal-Pokuta. Iwan waited for Hibano to join him in the center. Fighting on the side would cause unneeded damage.

“I still permit you first strike, as I don’t believe you could handle one from me currently. But once this fight begins I will not stop until you are defeated. If your weapon dissipates, use your other tools. Improvise.” Iwan said as he pulled the bolt back on Zal-Pokuta. A bright orb of blue Reishi formed at the end of the barrel. The distinct downside to Pokuta, Iwan remarked in his mind, was its slow rate of fire. He’d be interested to see if the kid could notice and capitalize on it.

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on Nov 16, 2022 15:25:13 GMT -5

Hibano

Once Iwan commented on his Spirit Weapon, Hibano opened his eyes to see what he was holding - and, as soon as he noticed that he was pointing the gun at his mentor out of instinct, he pulled it back. "Oh, sorry-" Carefully, he inspected the gun in his hand - it still required constant focus to maintain, but, as Iwan assumed, all he needs is some mental conditioning and training to be able to summon it without a second thought.

That it took a handgun shape was reassuring - an actual bow, or something else that required both arms to use, would have been more complicated since Hibano had no intention of abandoning his Asauchi from his arsenal. Close quarters combat was what he was trained in and what he was good at - he figured he'd be much more comfortable with integrating his Quincy powers into his fighting style rather than work out something entirely new.

The Quincy cross was integrated within the internal mechanics of the handgun, and as Hibano briefly swished the weapon across the air, he could tell just how easily Reishi particles surrounding him could gather within its barrel.

Quite exciting, and Iwan immediately offered Hibano an opportunity to use this new tool. As the older Quincy stepped to the center of the training room, Hibano did so as well. About five meters or so separated them still. Yet again, Iwan transformed his rifle into a bow-gun contraption, already charging it, but offered Hibano the first move.

"Right... if so..." Hibano muttered in response, then looked down at the pistol in his hand. Trying to pull too much Reishi out of the air would surely lead to the weapon breaking apart, he was already struggling to hold it together. I doubt I'll be able to create much more than a basic arrow and-

-strike.

Suddenly, without warning, the teen raised his gun and fired, producing a muzzle flash shaped like a five-pointed cross - and aiming at Iwan's right eye.

PLAYER

Iwan Kosnik Avatar

Iwan Kosnik

Post by Iwan Kosnik on Nov 18, 2022 17:33:05 GMT -5

With how quickly Hibano had gone on to form his Bogan, Iwan had completely forgotten that he might be unable to fire it properly. While the process was not complicated, new users may find it difficult to grasp initially. Something which Iwan assumed as the kid muttered and fiddled with the newly formed Pistol. Iwan lowered his rifle and was prepared to go assist him until Hibano pointed it at him once more. This time, however, a bright flash of light would follow up on the threat.

Iwan sidestepped, or more appropriately, dove off to the side to avoid being struck in the eye. Despite their supernatural healing and general durability, Iwan did not feel like having his eye poked out for the next few days. As he felt the bolt move past him he would notice two things. The first being that the bolt lacked a point, so to speak. It was malformed, losing Reishi as a Comet loses its ice in close orbit. This was likely due to his inexperience and was of no major concern. If anything it would make the training safer. Instead of piercing him, it would likely break apart on impact. A thought which was confirmed as it struck the wall behind him.

The second was its speed and power. If it had been a properly shaped bolt, it could have caused some serious physical damage. Likely even oneshot a typical Hollow. Iwan was impressed to put it simply. But this was a fight, he could save the banter for after he returned the favor to Hibano. Pausing, taking a deep breath, Iwan focused on Zal-Pokuta and formed a sphere of Reishi at the end of his rifle. Instead of pulling the trigger, he would lift his bolt up and slowly pull it back. It gave some resistance as the sphere grew larger and brighter, until finally it was cast forth. Iwan waited for the aftermath, curious to see how he’d react to the fairly simple attack. Once it was resolved, Iwan crouched and prepared in case he needed to move quickly.

“You continue to surprise me, Hibano.” He’d remark whilst continuing to train his sights on the kid. “Coming out of nowhere with no experience, as a Gemischt nonetheless, but managing to pull off a shot like that. If you had a bit more training, you might’ve even injured me. I have to admit, I’m a bit curious about who you take your blood from. Do you happen to know?”

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on Nov 19, 2022 7:05:14 GMT -5

Hibano

Perhaps he should have expected it - Iwan was fast enough to dodge an "arrow" bolt from almost point blank range, ducking to the side and getting the shot to fly past his head. This was the first time he actually tried firing with his Spirit Weapon, so it was no surprise that the attack which came out was primitive and easy to predict.

But, yet again, this was a matter of training and practice, so Hibano did not worry himself too much about that.

After dodging the pistol shot, Iwan raised his own bow - unlike Hibano's weapon, it took time to charge an attack, build up Reishi at the tip of the weapon, and fire, but the reiatsu emitted was far more intense than any of the teen's individual shots. The charge up time gave him some time to brace himself - and, once the shot fired, step to the side.

The shot was deceptively fast, nowhere near as easy to dodge as Hibano's puny bolts, it singed a few of his hairs and left a small, dark burn mark on the shoulder cloth of his uniform. Speeding past him, it smashed into one of the walls of the training arena with a powerful thud. It'd leave a lot of damage if it had hit him, that was certain.

After the shot, Iwan offered his congratulations to the teen - yet again, he exceeded expectations. Not only was he able to form a Spirit Weapon relatively easily, he impressed the older Quincy with the strength of his shots - even though they failed to hit the mark.

"Uh, thanks..." Hibano answered with a sheepish smile, briefly scratching the back of his head. Iwan's question about his origins returned him back to focus, however. Leonina and her corps had given him some information in that regard.

"I'm... not sure if you'll know of them, but..." They were a "traitor" house, after all, were they not? "According to DNA evidence, I come from the House of Schwarzwald. On my father's side, that is. I know nothing about them, but... the name did sound familiar to me somewhat when I was first informed about it."

He aimed his pistol at Iwan, holding back from any shots for the time being, but watching his mentor's movements intently.

PLAYER

Iwan Kosnik Avatar

Iwan Kosnik

Post by Iwan Kosnik on Nov 22, 2022 20:27:22 GMT -5

Iwan snapped his fingers in realization. It made sense now, his appearance and general aptitude. The House of Schwarzwald happened to be Yael’s ilk. The kid must’ve taken on the appearance without their signature blonde hair. His mark of being a Gemischt. Iwan knew little of the family aside from their propensity towards absolvement due to their perceived betrayal in the past. But Yael was a more than capable fighter, and of similar age to Yael. It seemed their blood was strong despite what other Echts would say.

“That would explain why you look so much like Yael. He’s a Schwarzwald as well. I don’t know much about them, but Yael could likely tell you more. That is if you can find him…” Iwan said, mind wandering to his friends on the outside. Yukari, Celeste, Valentina, and Yael had been nothing but a thought in the back of his mind. He honestly didn’t expect to see them much in the next few years. Perhaps he could get some leave and visit them one last time.

“House Schwarzwald had a history of shame, so to speak. They are viewed as traitors of some sort if my memory serves correctly.” Iwan asked, curious as to the kid’s true origins. “I’d find it odd that a Schwarzwald would travel outside of Eastern Europe, but your name sounds Japanese. Were you raised in Germany?”

Iwan noticed that Hibano was waiting for him to make the next move. Likely the smarter option given his inexperience with his Bogen. Each shot was precious, as he wouldn’t know if he could cast another. Perhaps it was time to get a bit more serious.

Iwan lifted his bolt and slowly began to pull it back, preparing to fire. He’d deliberately take his time and hopefully allow Hibano to focus on it. By the time Iwan let it fire, the bolt was around the size of his torso. As it went, Iwan drew one of his Seele Schneider. He’d activate it and wait for Hibano to make it move. As he did, Iwan would fling it at the kid with the hopes of catching him off guard.

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on Nov 24, 2022 5:35:49 GMT -5

Hibano

So he guessed wrong. Iwan did know of the House of Schwarzwald - about as much as Hibano was told by the other Quincies during this induction into the Wandenreich, but with a specific emphasis on Yael, whom, as it seems, the older Quincy knew personally. This was the second time that Iwan brought up this Schwarzwald, and while he did not dwell on it first time, their personal relationship came far more into focus this time - so, the mention did not leave Hibano's mind throughout the rest of the clash.

"In Berlin, yeah..." he answered Iwan's question on his birthplace, with a slightly muted voice. Hibano's accent was barely noticeable - but an attentive listener could notice that he was from the German speaking region of Europe. "I'm still trying to piece together what happened and how I'm connected to the family, though."

Having noticed that his trainee was watching and waiting, Iwan began preparing for a yet another shot, gathering an enormous blast of Reishi in front of his weapon in a long charge-up sequence. Unless he was deliberately delaying the charging time of his weapon - which Hibano figured could be possible, they were training and not fighting for survival, after all - the charge-up made Zal-Pokuta seem rather impractical.

At least, in a fight like this where the opponent can see you... I suppose it has its merits as a sniper rifle.

This was exactly what Hibano was planning for, however. He braced himself as he watched the charging shot and began to move before Zal-Pokuta had even fired - then, as soon as the rifle fired, suddenly accelerated and lunged straight at Iwan. Only a second separated him from the older Quincy and-

-Oh, god!

Iwan fired off a bit more than just a Zal-Pokuta shot - a Seele Schneider blade suddenly flew past him, which the teen only realized and ducked to the side at the last possible moment. Even then, it clipped his arm, slashing through the uniform and leaving a bleeding cut right below his shoulder. Not instantly crippling, but not good news either.

Regardless, it did not stop Hibano, merely slowed him down. He appeared right in front of Iwan with a trail of picked up dust, and aimed at the older Quincy's head with the pistol in his right hand, while aiming to grab Zal-Pokuta with the left. Ideally, that would both leave Iwan defenseless and placed against the wall.

As for the conversation from before, now that they had a moment of reprieve at gunpoint...

"What do you know about Yael?" Hibano suddenly asked. "Do you... have any clue where I could find him?"

PLAYER

Iwan Kosnik Avatar

Iwan Kosnik

Post by Iwan Kosnik on Nov 25, 2022 12:25:36 GMT -5

It seemed Iwan’s gamble had only paid partial dividends, as Hibano quickly closed the distance. In what would seem only seconds to an outside viewer, Hibano had managed to place his pistol squarely against Iwan’s head whilst twisting Zal-Pokuta in such a way to leave him defenseless against the wall. It was quite impressive and afforded Iwan a bit of time to ponder Hibano’s origins a bit more. Born in Berlin, with a slight accent but a Japanese name. Odd that a Schwarzwald would find themselves in Japan of all places. Yael was the only one to travel out of the Schatten Bereich to Iwan’s knowledge.

“I am afraid I have not seen him in over half a year” Iwan said, answering Hibano’s sudden questioning. “He sought to mend his ties with the Wandenreich, though. Perhaps restore honor to his House’s name. Yael is a bit of a traveler though. Went around the world with his girlfriend Valentina. She had some kind of quest and he seemed intent on helping her overcome it.” Iwan said, trailing off as he spotted a distinctly blood red color seeping down Hibano’s shoulder. Now that they had some time to rid themselves of adrenaline, that cut was likely to start hurting quite a bit more…

“If you can find Valentia, you can likely find Yael. If not, perhaps ask his family.” Iwan remarked before slowly counter twisting Pokuta. He aimed to put the pressure on the kid’s newly acquired bad arm until finally spotting an opening. When he did, he’d bring his knee up to strike Hibano’s stomach whilst moving his head to the side and out of harm's way. Iwan took advantage of whatever distraction had been afforded and attempted to slam Hibano into the wall. He’d continue doing so until the kid let go of Pokuta.