Bleach Hereafter RPG

Future Horrors

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on May 23, 2022 19:04:18 GMT -5

And so, Niji found herself once again waiting in the gazebo of the Hofgarten. The damage caused by the brief skirmish a few days ago had been fixed. It hadn’t even been in the news; and it looked like nothing had happened to it.  Spiritual interference to fix it and reverse the damage, given how perfectly it had been fixed, and the lack of any construction signs. She waited as the sun rose across the park, considering what she knew.  It was frighteningly little, and a large portion of it was taken from a memory of a false life created when Val had lashed out and the fae had tried to intercept.

First, there were the goals, location, and leadership of the Red Lotus. Whether Hibano decided to join her or not, she owed the Red Lotus a visit.

With regards to goals, Val had either misled her, or allowed her to conflate, the goals of the organization with her personal goals of destruction. In the false life, the Red Lotus had the goals of training fullbringers in case Shinigami decided to exert a more direct control over humanity. That goal was reasonable, and she had said as much when she talked to Vice Captain Muimina only a few weeks ago. Of course, that was one of the things she had to discover the truth about. It was, in fact, suspiciously close to what she had told the Vice Captain, and could have been a construction of the illusory reality. She couldn’t know without talking to a member of the organization directly.

However, the false life had provided her information on the location that seemed promising. She looked up the Akai Hasu temple on satellite images and on the internet. It was a normal looking temple in a nondescript location, with a similarly nondescript website, but it matched what had been in the false life. It was even up against the mountain that could have housed the facility that she ‘remembered.’

As for the actual members of their organization, the false life had them interact with a man named ‘Virgil’ as the leader of the Red Lotus, but the more she tried to focus on remembering other details, the fuzzier they got. There were a good number of Red Lotus operatives that she could remember, but on the Quincy side there were only about four or five. With all likelihood, the people Val might have actually known personally were more fleshed out in the illusion.

False memories thrown at her in an attempt to keep her at bay by a woman driven mad. It wasn't much to go on. But she needed, at the very least, to make sure this organization was not driven to pursue Val’s mad goals of destruction.

And thinking of Val, she was bringing along a whole other mess. Hibano, no last name. With any luck, he would be known to the Red Lotus, and they would take him in and help him piece together who he was before Val decided to start riding shotgun in his brain. Of course, if they actually did share Val’s goal, then that would be problematic in its own right. And if he wasn’t known to the organization…well, that was another set of problems. 

After reviewing the footage on Leon’s security cam, Hibano really did look like he could possibly be related to the Tokareva family. While it was impossible that the real Val could have a child Hibano’s age, the rules that governed possible seemed bent to breaking during the fight. Val as the hōgyoku had been ripping tears in the very fabric of reality; pulling attacks and creatures from other potential universes. Had Hibano been stolen from one of these realities as a last ditch effort for Val to save herself? Pull a potential son that never was to serve as a host to try and take over? It seemed too far, even for Val.

Or was it? The woman herself was a complicated mess of emotions for Niji; she couldn’t find it in herself to hate the woman, no matter how much easier that would have been. In this life, real life, she had spent maybe two hours in Val’s company; to say she understood the woman that really existed would have been a lie. During that fight, Val had tried to make her see how a woman could have become so despondent and convinced that the world wasn’t worth saving. Those scenarios still occasionally tickled her memory, but they were more like fleeting nightmares, when examined after the fact, they felt contrived and convoluted. Merely stories twisted to cause as much misery as possible.

The Val she saw daily for a decade never existed, and the soul riding shotgun in Hibano’s brain was the bloodthirsty monster that tried to end the world. A Val that held no affection for her, a nihilistic abomination that should no longer exist. She could hate that, couldn’t she?

What the hell am I doing?

And so, she sat there; at the place she had been stabbed in the stomach by the stranger that was coming to meet her.  This time she was dressed in a semi-formal blue dress, rather than pajamas; for once having one of these spiritual meetings on her terms. The sun peeked over the horizon and the sky began to brighten, but her mood did not; and she stared down at her coffee in contemplation until she sensed a familiar reiatsu signature approaching.

Last Edit: May 23, 2022 19:09:33 GMT -5 by Niji

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Memories broken, the truth goes unspoken...

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on May 24, 2022 15:46:49 GMT -5

Hibano

Tags:

Subsequent research into the profile of Hikari Niji did not yield any fruits. The woman had a presence in the news and online, but it was strictly related to ordinary business life, and nothing about her was familiar to Hibano, in any form. Not the company she belonged to, not the little facts about her family and career. Nowhere was she connected with the name "Val" or any forms it could take if it was a diminutive.

What even was this "Val", anyway? Niji painted a rather apocalyptic image of a woman which was driven mad by an intervention by the Shinigami, unfamiliar to Hibano yet again, and he presumed immediately that the Internet wasn't going to yield him any more information, either. Since, according to the woman, this happened not that long ago, Hibano also looked into any incidents which the media reported during the past few days - the earthquake in Tokyo and the unexplained aurora phenomenon across the entire planet, but all that he could find there was ceaseless, ceaseless arguing about what that phenomenon could have possibly been.

Now, Hibano was not going to assume that Val was code for the second coming of Jesus Christ, so a lot of those discussions ended up rather useless. Besides, if these "auroras" could be seen by everyone, Fullbringer or mundane, then they weren't a spiritual phenomenon, right?

So, Hibano arrived to the Hofgarten neither more clued in on the situation, nor more settled after Niji's blows against his identity back during their battle. He still clung onto his belief that the woman was completely wrong, misguided, operating off incomplete information that made her come to the wrong conclusions - he simply could not really justify it with more than gut feeling.

Well, at least Niji did not seem any happier today, so, the confusion was mutual. While she dressed more formal for the occasion, Hibano was wearing the exact same jacket and jeans as he did the first time he arrived to Leon's house. The same sword was attached to his belt, though he did not open up conversation by drawing it this time.

Of course, the option always remained valid.

"I'm here," Hibano stated and stopped, ten meters or so away from the gazebo.

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on May 25, 2022 10:15:02 GMT -5

Niji downed the last of her coffee then simply incinerated the cup into a few ashes. She stood up, watching the sunrise for a second, then turned to Hibano. ”Good morning, Hibano.”

She began to walk out of the gazebo onto the grass to meet him, her voice was firm, and set the tone that she wasn’t having a debate right now, ”From here forward, you will call me Gaia. I keep my mortal and spiritual lives separate, and I can count the number of spiritually aware individuals that know me as Hikari Niji on one hand.  I would keep it that way.”

The fullbringer stopped a few feet from Hibano, just outside the range of a good lunge, ”Have you learned anything new, or do you still wish to accompany me to what to meet with the fullbringer organization?"

She had other questions for him, but there was little point to asking right now. It was entirely possible it would just trigger the soul inside him and send him into a rage again.  It was possible that a fullbringers they met at the Red Lotus base would be familiar with Val, and at the very least, another voice supporting her words would provide a more useful time to pose questions.

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on May 26, 2022 3:50:28 GMT -5

Hibano

Tags:

Niji was still apprehensive, perhaps understandably so. Though she stepped out of the shade to meet him, she retained her distance from Hibano, too far away for handshakes or sword swings. If this was motivated by the stabbing and slashing three days ago, then Hibano figured that this must be a statement, rather than an actual attempt to defend herself from a possible attack. Surely, both of them knew that a few meters wasn't going to slow down someone at their level of power.

Right after greetings, Niji ordered Hibano to call her Gaia. Before he could ask why, she explained - it was her alias in the spiritual world, and she wanted to retain that secrecy. After a second of pause, the teen answered:

"I'll try to remember that."

His voice still carried some suspicion, but, the urge to fight Niji had subsided somewhat since the last time they met, so he did not have a reason to act hostile.

"Since I'm here, you can imagine that I haven't changed my mind," Hibano answered Niji on whether he will still join her on the trip to Japan. "This... "fullbringer organization", then," Since the woman had not given him any name, he could not investigate it on his spare time. So, what he was about to see was a complete mystery to him. "You say that they might know of me, just because I'm a Fullbringer, right? So, does that mean you belong to their ranks as well?"

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on May 26, 2022 8:51:46 GMT -5

Niji shook her head, ”It is a possibility, they seem to actively recruit.” She gestured at the obvious blade on his waist, ”You do not appear to put much stock in secrecy, so I would not be surprised to find that they had approached you in the past. Whether you accepted them or not, they may still know who you were.”

Her face remained passive as she continued, "I am not associated with them, I may not even be known to them. Even as Gaia. Under normal circumstances I should not even know about their headquarters.”  It would have been too complicated to explain, particularly when Hibano would not even trust her word when it came to Val.  Personally, she had no idea how loyal the woman had been to the Red Lotus, or if she had told them of her meeting with Gaia. She rolled her shoulders and sighed, ”Any additional explanation I could provide may trigger more emotions from that soul inside of you." Niji held up a hand before Hibano could raise any sort of protest, "I know you do not believe me, and I would rather not just go around in circles again.”

The earth trembled faintly underneath them, ”Do you have any further questions before we go?”

Last Edit: May 26, 2022 9:00:31 GMT -5 by Niji

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on May 26, 2022 15:13:15 GMT -5

Hibano

Tags:

"Well, I don't recall ever belonging to such an organization," Hibano answered Niji's guesses about possibly belonging to this organization without his knowledge. The woman assumed that this must simply be one of the parts of his past that he was misremembering - but Hibano wasn't going to put stock into this guess just yet. "Nothing of that sort has contacted me in the past three days, either - so they might not be looking for me, either..."

Who knows, though? Maybe Niji's hunch was right, and that's where he can find answers.

Then, the mood soured a little again, as once Niji explained that she did not belong to this organization, she held her hand up and declared that she will not go any further. Again, she was treating him like he was just a vessel for this "Val" person she supposedly found in his body - and treading a fine line to avoid triggering that soul again.

"I'm not going to attack you. You don't have to act this concerned."

Though, perhaps, much like he was not going to look past his own suspicions with Niji, she was not going to look past her own towards his, no matter what they say.

"I'm ready to go."

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on May 27, 2022 8:47:39 GMT -5

Niji decided against scoffing at his either of comments. The first would have been justified, after all, he didn’t recall practically anything before Val had attempted a hostile takeover of his skull a week ago, as far as she could tell. Small wonder he didn’t remember anything about the Red Lotus, even if he had been a member.  The second scoff would have been justified because she absolutely did have to be concerned.  The stranger had attacked her practically unprompted twice at the urging of the voice in his head.  She wasn’t about to stop treading on eggshells with her phrasing around the man, even if Val was dormant now, there was no telling what could set her off.  Even before she transformation, this world's Val had not been the most stable.

Instead, her face just remained passive, and she nodded once at his comment. Glancing around once to check for any random passersby, she created a dome of earth around them. Hibano would feel a slight sense of compression, then a brief tug, and a second later they would find themselves in the full noonday sun in the gardens surrounding the Akai Hasu temple.  She cautiously glanced over to Hibano, ”Do you have any memories this place?”

She reached out with her senses, seeing if she could detect any familiar reiatsu from the false life.

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on May 27, 2022 15:57:26 GMT -5

Hibano

Tags:

Once the walls of the dome crumbled back to the ground, Hibano and Niji were nine thousand kilometers and several hours away from Germany. They were on the side of a tall mountain overseeing the city of Tokyo like a watchful guardian, surprisingly untouched by mankind in spite of its close proximity to a megalopolis. A light breeze blew past, picking up the occasional fallen leaf from a handful of trees surrounding the garden that led towards the entrance of the temple. The sun shone directly overhead, and not a single cloud blocked its rays.

Offered by Niji to take a good look at the temple and say if he knew this place, Hibano did as requested. The temple was fairly modest, and he hardly expected it to fit more than a single room inside. If this was the headquarters of the organization which the woman had been talking about, then it's not what Hibano had expected. He expected something larger. Something that could actually house a large number of Fullbringers from across the globe.

The teen stepped forward, slowly, somewhat hesitating, his hand still gravitating close to the grip on his sword. The gardens were unfamiliar, though now that he took a look at the temple itself, its striking, red and black design...

"I do have this feeling of deja vu about it. Not much more than that, though."

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on May 28, 2022 18:02:33 GMT -5

”Well, that is better than nothing.” Provided the feeling wasn’t coming from the soul inside of him, at least. If it was, well; more proof for him of the identity of the woman that was inside of him. Niji glanced down at his hand, ”Relax, we are here in peace. Acting like you are going to draw your sword the moment anything happens is not reflective of that mission.”

She sensed a few people inside the building, unfortunately, neither was a signature she recognized from the false life. Well, she didn’t imagine Val was a particularly subtle member of the Red Lotus, they would probably at least have been aware of her. For a moment, Niji considered sending in an animal spy to see who was there, but it wouldn’t mean much to her. And it wouldn’t tell her much about the individuals anyway.

So she started walking towards the entrance, allowing a fraction of her energy to spill out, and gestured at his blade again, ”Allow some of your reiatsu out. Hiding your nature, particularly with a zanpakuto on your waist, will be counterproductive. Better they think you an odd fullbringer than a shinigami. Let us see if the inside jogs your memory at all.”

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on May 29, 2022 13:26:21 GMT -5

Hibano

Tags:

"Well, if speaking to me is like walking on eggshells to you, then let's say I reciprocate that feeling at least a little," Hibano answered Niji's request to relax his guard. He did lower his hand somewhat, but it remained close enough to the hilt of the sword that he could draw it in case of a trap, or an attack, or something else.

Niji's suppressed energy was released somewhat, and even at its restricted state it would shine brightly to anyone able to sense Reiatsu anywhere on the mountain. Requested to follow, Hibano closed his eyes, eased his breath and did the same, though staying in his base form.

There were two people inside of the temple as Hibano and Niji argued, a man and a woman, both of them wearing simple robes and kneeling before a shrine of Buddha on the opposite side from the entrance. While the man appeared quiet, the woman was restless, tapping her fingers on her legs, looking to one side or another, and finally turning to her peer. She got roped into this - Virgil ordered them to keep watch of the temple for now - and the procedures the had to follow were insane to her.

"...You're napping. You're not praying, you're napping," the woman spoke up, and, hearing nothing from the meditating man, sighed. "Yeah." Figuring that she could slip away unnoticeed, she slowly rose to her feet, only to turn around at the sensation of two large Reiatsu levels appearing right in front of the temple.

"Huh?"

"Someone has teleported here," the man suddenly spoke, opened his eyes and rose to his feet, briefly startling his peer. "If they arrived here, directly, and together, then they must be here for us."

"Right. I'll inform the base." the woman answered and scurried away, while the man approached the entrance and carefully slid it open.

"Hello there? What brings you here?"

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on May 29, 2022 14:11:53 GMT -5

Niji didn’t bother to respond to Hibano; it wasn’t exactly a fair point, but she didn’t have the voice of a mad woman in the back of her head. Well, not exactly. Following false memories to the base of a secret fullbringer organization wasn’t exactly sane.  She had no idea how much of the memories of the Red Lotus were real, and which were created wholesale to sell the false life she had lived.

But she couldn’t help but smile when a familiar face walked out of the temple. She did her best to keep the recognition out of her eyes, obviously this man had never met her before. But if the memories Val had inflicted on her were accurate, then this fullbringer was known as Morgan, and was one of the only high ranking members of the Red Lotus that Niji ‘knew.’ In fact, he had been firmly on the side of the two of them in using their powers to help humanity, and a strong voice of support within the organization.

She offered a formal bow, as one would have given to a proper monk, ”Good afternoon. We are not here seeking conflict. The short version is this fullbringer has lost his memory, and, given his potency, I believed it was possible your organization may have some sort of record of his identity.”

Last Edit: May 29, 2022 14:12:14 GMT -5 by Niji

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on May 30, 2022 13:56:41 GMT -5

Hibano

Tags:

Morgan listened to Niji's introduction in silence. The woman did not give her name, and she gave more questions than answers. Never in his life had he ever seen this woman, and yet she stood here, clearly not only aware of his membership in Red Lotus, but also seemingly knowing that this was their base of operations. No ordinary Fullbringer could possibly know their location, only agents inducted in the organization - and this was no agent, so...

Niji did not get an answer immediately - instead, Morgan remained silent, considering his options. He could try to deny and try to convince her that she was mistaken - but that seemed foolish, if this woman spoke of the Red Lotus so casually, she must already know enough that a mere denial will not convince her. But that made the situation even worse. What if this woman's planning to destroy the Red Lotus from within? What if she's a defector and was feeding information to someone?

But... would she approach the base so casually if she was either of those things? Seems rather crazy to have collected so much information about the Red Lotus without them ever being aware of it, and then just... showing your face to them, and flaunting your knowledge.

While this was happening, Hibano was shifting his eyes from Niji to Morgan and back, not sure what to make of the situation.

"...You might be mistaken. I've never seen this man in my life," the black-haired Fullbringer answered as he slowly walked down the steps of the temple. Perhaps the best option is to play straight and report to the organization about a massive security threat later. Suddenly, Hibano spoke up:

"Wait, but we met somewhere before, right?"

"Huh?"

Hibano stepped in front of Morgan, briefly looking over the Fullbringer in monk robes. "I-well, I don't know, it just seems like we met somewhere before..." It didn't feel right to agree with Niji's guess, and yet, he couldn't deny that he had seen that face before. Again, he did not know where, but he couldn't deny that gut feeling.

"I'm... not sure what you mean, I've never seen you before..."
Last Edit: May 30, 2022 13:57:04 GMT -5 by Hibano

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on May 30, 2022 15:17:26 GMT -5

Of course.  Morgan was a member of the Red Lotus she could clearly remember, which meant he was probably someone Val had worked with personally.  Which, of course, meant that Hibano might have some echo of memory of him that was not truly his, but belonged to the soul inside of him.  While she had gotten along fairly well with this man in her false life, any memory Hibano might have of him might not be his own.

Hibano was a stubborn man, and she wasn't sure how much of that was Val's influence over his mind.  He wouldn't be convinced that the memories he had belonged to someone else.  Granted, she had no idea how much Val and Morgan had interacted, nor if there was any animosity there.  Rather than risk Hibano picking a fight with the Red Lotus, there was probably another route.

A thought occurred to her, "As I said, that was the short version.  The long version is not one that most of the Zodiac are likely to believe. However, if you would call the human lie detector---"  Niji trailed off as she tried to bring the person to mind, no clear details, not even a name, came into her head.  Hopefully, that meant it was just someone Val had heard of, and not a nonexistent fullbringer that was made solely as a plot device to drive the narrative of the false reality forward. 

Last Edit: May 30, 2022 15:18:50 GMT -5 by Niji

GAME MASTER

Wandenreich - Soldat

Hibano Avatar

Hibano

Post by Hibano on May 30, 2022 16:02:40 GMT -5

Hibano

Tags:

So was Hibano really a member of Red Lotus in the past? This man didn't seem to be bought by his deja vu, but on the other hand, Niji was certain that they had never met before, either... Perhaps there was another way the two of them had met. Maybe they met on a battlefield, or they knew each other personally. Different theories and hypotheses floated in the teen's mind, and he finally answered:

"...Do you remember my name, at least? Hibano?"

The reaction was completely opposite to what he had expected, however - it left Morgan certain that this man was not a member of Red Lotus.

"No, I've never heard that name before. And I can guarantee you, this is the first time I ever see your face."

If he were a lost agent of Red Lotus, then he would refer to himself by his agent name, and Hibano was not a possible agent name. There was still some uncertainty, of course - maybe, if this man "lost his memory" like the woman stated, then he forgot his agent name as well. It did not make the man any more familiar to Morgan, however.

Speaking of Niji, she continued - suddenly revealing her knowledge of the Zodiac, and even musing about some members of Red Lotus who could help prove her case. Morgan did not know every single member of the Lotus at heart, nor their powers, so he could not tell if the "living lie detector" she was speaking of truly existed, or was just a shot in the dark - no matter what, however, it has gone too far.

"Hey-" Hibano yelped as Morgan suddenly brushed him aside and approached Niji directly, grabbing her by the shoulders and speaking:

"Who are you?" His voice was assertive, demanding of answers. "Where are you getting this from? Who are you working for?"

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on May 30, 2022 16:21:11 GMT -5

Well, there it was; part of the risk. She didn’t flinch as Morgan grabbed her by the shoulders, nor did she call out to the spirits. Niji merely stared back into his eyes. To him, of course, she would have been as unfamiliar as Hibano. ”I am Gaia. And I repeat, we are not here seeking conflict.”

She sighed, remaining composed despite the man’s tight grip on her shoulders. Her voice remained calm, but firm, ”Not that you are likely to believe me, but I am independent when it comes to spiritual matters. However, I will happily explain how I know about your organization.”

Niji broke eye contact with Morgan for a moment, glancing over to Hibano before returning to look at the Zodiac, ”First, I need to know how much you know of the fate of Rosé and what happened last week when the sky shattered. Any explanation I can give hinges on how much you know of what really happened.”

She decided against calling him by his title for the moment, he was already on edge, and that would have just made it personal. It was unlikely that anyone that had been at the battle would have reported events to the Red Lotus. The Shinigami were unlikely to be on speaking terms, and it was not like Yael or the Arrancar were about to file a report with the Fullbringers.

Last Edit: May 30, 2022 16:21:30 GMT -5 by Niji