Saving Private Takano

Player

You fool! You fell right for my trap!

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Oct 8, 2022 8:59:23 GMT -5

Irisa Ishiwara

Tags:

A gate somewhat similar to the exits of the Senkaimon opened in the middle of a lush, garden-like landscape, and closed as soon as its wielder stepped out on the grass. The extensive vegetation surrounding her was a surprise, knowing what the rest of the continent was like - still, it was not entirely unexpected. So much Reishi unnaturally built up in one place, radiating so far out that it reached the surface, is bound to result in extremities. Human scientists, investigating this temperate paradise kilometers below Antarctic ice, would never find an explanation for its existence though.

Irisa stepped forward, slowly strolling through the Haven, raising her eyes towards the birds chirping while perched on the treetops. The existence of this place was another complication in the disappearance of Takano Hirai. For the past few weeks, the Twelfth Division Shinigami was missing in action and nobody in all of Soul Society had any clue where he went. Not only that, but his Division was not in a rush to look for him, either.

Normally, Irisa would not get personally involved in matters of another division, even when the person in question is one of her students - disappearances, usually the sign of unsolved crimes or accidents, were not unheard of in the ranks of Gotei 13, and living for a few hundred years makes you get used to them. However, Irisa's conversation with Takano right before these events, and the... somewhat troubling beliefs he expressed roused concern. What if this was not just an accident?

As Antarctica was one of the last places where Gotei 13 had registered Takano's presence before his disappearance, the investigation led Irisa here. This "garden", or whatever it was, could thus be the first piece in the puzzle.

Walking through the garden, Irisa kept her Reiatsu suppressed to the level her students, and Takano, would expect of a lowly teacher - however, it was still large enough to sense for anyone nearby.

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Oct 8, 2022 10:35:15 GMT -5

The living animals of the forest took no notice of Irisa, they appeared to be just as they seemed, normal animals, living in a serene forest deep under the Antarctic soil. Perhaps she would sense the ya-o-yorozu no kami around her, invisible spirits of nature and the elements, given power to affect the mortal realm by whatever created this place.

Either way, after a few seconds of being in the biosphere, Irisa would feel the distinct sense of being watched. A cloud of golden motes of energy would coalesce in front of her, into a golden furred half-wolf, half-bull creature. The shinshi was roughly on the level of a seated shinigami, no match for Irisa if she was to go all out, but it also did not appear particularly aggressive. It made no motion to attack, and, in fact, bent its front legs in a clear imitation of a bow.

Then, it spoke in a sonorous baritone, perfectly understandable to her ears, though she would not be able to place the language, ”Greetings, Lady Shinigami, I am Tenshugo, guardian of this place and messenger of Gaia.” The creature straightened up, ending its bow and fixing its gaze on Irisa, its eyes a pair of unblinking golden orbs, ”You are unfamiliar to me, and I would know your name and the purpose of your visit to Haven.”

Last Edit: Oct 8, 2022 10:36:28 GMT -5 by Niji

Player

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Oct 8, 2022 14:13:06 GMT -5

Irisa Ishiwara

Tags:

It did not take long for someone to catch wind of Irisa's presence and come to meet her. It would have been odd if this mysterious garden existed without any and all defenses against possible intruders - which, to be entirely clear, she currently was. She stopped in a small clearing between several eucalyptus trees, turning her eyes to the side, and watching a spirit manifest, in the form of a chimeric golden creature.

It introduced itself as Tenshugo, guardian of this place and messenger of Gaia. Irisa figured that this was not a "true" Plus, per se, rather something that was connected to the powers of the being who created this place. Much like Tenshugo, she opened with politeness, gently bowing as a greeting.

"It is nice to meet you, Tenshugo," she answered. "I will withhold my name for now, until I am certain that this is a safe place to do so. I am here in search for a Shinigami who vanished from Soul Society a few weeks ago, and was last sighted on this continent."

The mere fact that this base was hidden from the rest of the world left a degree of suspicion, so, Irisa figured she should be careful with her words for now. At least, until she can figure out where this garden stands in the hierarchy of good and evil in the World of the Living.

"Where is your master?"

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Oct 8, 2022 17:46:48 GMT -5

The creature regarded her, its strange muzzle unreadable, though it’s voice became vaguely amused, ”You hold no indicator of rank, you come here unannounced and uninvited, and you demand answers?”

It shook it’s broad head, regarding the Shinigami with a stare as its voice beame serious once more, ”I will put it simply, Miss Shinigami, this is not a safe place for those who come without permission, granted by Gaia or a current resident. While my mistress has friends among the shinigami, she is not without her enemies in this world. While you are unfamiliar, I will offer you her assurance that no one in this Haven is being kept against their will, nor under any sort of compulsion.”

Tenshugo scraped one clawed hoof at the ground as it continued, ”But, since you refuse to divulge your identity, I would kindly request that you leave in peace.  Should you wish to share your name, squad, and spirit phone number, my mistress can do her due diligence and decide whether to extend you an invitation or not.”

The polite dismissal came with a tone of finality.  Though whether Irisa would take it as the last word was still to be seen.

Last Edit: Oct 8, 2022 17:47:53 GMT -5 by Niji

Player

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Oct 9, 2022 3:07:31 GMT -5

Irisa Ishiwara

Tags:

This conversation did not go as well as Irisa wanted. Right after she introduced her reason for being here and asked for Tenshugo's master, it shot back, ordering her to leave from the premises or give the creature her contact information. Not just a name, at this point - name, squad, and spirit phone number.

Well, that was certainly undesirable. But neither was getting kicked out from this establishment when Irisa was certain that it held the answers to some of her questions.

The Shinigami clasped her heads and slightly bowed. "I apologize, Tenshugo. I did not intend to act like I am demanding answers from you or your master. I do not intend to cause any harm to this place or any one of its residents, either. Rather, I was hoping that you would be able to help me."

What she was also not intending to do, however, was to depart from the Haven right now. If she can convince the creature to let her stay, though, then it would be ideal.

"The name of the Shinigami I am searching for is Takano Hirai. He used to be one of my students a long time ago. He's vanished, and I am greatly concerned for what might have happened to him, especially as his own Division is dragging their feet to find him. If you or your master know where I could search for him, then I would greatly appreciate it."

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Oct 9, 2022 9:33:20 GMT -5

Tenshugo looked at her, then arched his back and let out an unearthly howl, it rapidly and unnaturally changed in pitch as it issued forth from the chimeric muzzle. The sound was clearly some kind of warning or message, and Irisa would feel some spiritual energy in the sound. Birds and small animals continued scampering around the forest, the sound having no effect on them, unheard by their mundane ears. The flurry of spiritual activity she may have sensed around her would abruptly halt, and if she felt like she was being watched before, the feeling would be magnified a thousand fold.

There was a slight surge of energy, and a flash of light from somewhere to Irisa's right as the creature finished its howl. It looked to Irisa as the ambient spiritual energy of the area rapidly decreased, the golden orbs of its eyes unreadable, ”If you must, Miss Shinigami. I am merely here to obtain information and defend this place against those who would do it harm. If you wait a few moments, my mistress will arrive shortly.”

A few minutes later, a figure would emerge from the woods, showing no more energy than the now reduced ambient energy of this place. That being said, this woman’s reiatsu unmistakably matched the signature of the energy that suffused every being in this place. She was barefoot, clad in a green dress made of vines, leaves, and grass, her sky blue eyes locked on the Shinigami as she came into sight, as her flame-colored hair was tousled by an unfelt wind.

She walked next to Tenshugo, resting a hand on the beast’s broad shoulders, her eyes not wavering from Irisa’s, ”Good evening, Miss Ishiwara; I am known as Gaia. You are here seeking Mister Hirai?"

Last Edit: Oct 9, 2022 9:46:34 GMT -5 by Niji

Player

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Oct 9, 2022 12:59:43 GMT -5

Irisa Ishiwara

Tags:

Irisa's eyes briefly glanced to the side, her senses capturing a brief excitation in the Reiatsu permeating around her somewhere among the trees, then it vanishing just as quickly as it appeared. Aside from that brief incident, she focused entirely on the chimera in front of her. After a howl, it dropped its initial order to leave the premises, and explained that if she waits for a few minutes, she will be able to meet its mistress.

Fair enough. Irisa nodded and stood in place, her eyes briefly glancing over to the flora surrounding her. The birds and animals which have made this Haven their home did not pay any attention to her, a colibri flew past her body as if nothing happened, to which she faintly smiled. It could not compete with the most illustrious gardens in Soul Society, but as far as the World of the Living was concerned, it was an impressive sight.

A figure finally emerged from the woods - and unlike the creature from before, this one was human, and the energy behind her hinting that she was behind the haven at large. After introducing herself, she suddenly revealed knowing Irisa's name - the revelation did not faze her, not outwardly at least, but it did give context to what that Reiatsu flare from before was about.

"Good to meet you, miss Gaia. It is a bit rude to spy on someone while they are talking to your servant."

Irisa punctuated her greeting with a bow, much like to Tenshugo.

"That's true. I apologize for intruding into your base here, perhaps I should have knocked on the ice first. Is Takano here? I'd rather not find him having done something... reckless."

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Oct 9, 2022 20:55:07 GMT -5

Niji laughed politely, the woman’s attempt to put her on the defensive by accusing her of being rude was almost childish. Clearly the Shinigami knew that anything she did would be less rude than invading someone’s space and refusing to even give your name. There was no reason to even address it.

”Just Gaia is fine, Miss Ishiwara.”

Her face remained passive, considering the woman in front of her; Takano said that she might have been helpful, but she was also just as likely to try and stop the entire project. And, clearly, from the text message she got in response, the man was somewhat panicked by the idea she was here. Not that she would find his laboratory; it was separate from the biosphere they stood in, extra layers of the reishi-dampening sunmoss coating it, and being several hundred feet through solid bedrock. Also, her imprint on the area would drastically overwhelm Takano’s not-too-potent signature. 

Also, Niji didn’t even know if he was in the lab at this time, nor if the Quincy, Arrancar, Hollow, or other Shinigami were. She still hadn’t met some of the individuals the scientist had brought to assist with his experiments. The fullbringer remained cordial, conversational and friendly; ”I do not know of Mister Hirai’s current location, but I can understand your concern over his recklessness. I encountered him a month ago when a Vasto Lorde was skulking around on the surface.  As near as I can tell he was hoping to talk to it.  As you say, a reckless move; I saved him from what would have been his untimely end. We chatted for a bit; and then he went on his way.”

The fullbringer absentmindedly stroked the golden fur of the shinshi, her own gaze also not wavering from the Shinigami, ”We did exchange numbers though; do you need his contact information?”

Last Edit: Oct 9, 2022 20:56:31 GMT -5 by Niji

Player

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Oct 10, 2022 15:01:04 GMT -5

Irisa Ishiwara

Tags:

Niji appeared to be somewhat on guard while speaking to Irisa much like Irisa herself was. That was understandable, their first introduction to one another, though polite, was not on the best terms. But, perhaps she can build a bridge over that rift and get the Fullbringer to trust her a little more.

"That is a slightly different form of recklessness from Takano's part than I had on my mind, but I am glad to hear you saved him from an early demise nonetheless. I'm sure he would admit to you himself that he is not cut out for any sort of battle, so him frolicking anywhere near a Vasto Lorde is crazy no matter the intention - I am surprised he didn't get knocked out from the Reiatsu pressure alone."

This did place another piece in the puzzle - Takano did, in fact, visit the Haven before, and knew this "Gaia". At this point, however, it was still too early to tell whether Gaia was protecting him from Irisa by coming up with a cover story, or whether they truly only met once before.

"Assuming he will pick up, I'll gladly take his contact information - thank you," the Shinigami continued, and bowed in thanks. "Out of curiosity... did he give any hints as to where he might have gone after visiting you? Any sort of research he might have mentioned to you off-hand? Assuming no ill intention from Takano's part, my guess would be that he is on some sort of mission related to his research projects."

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Oct 10, 2022 16:07:36 GMT -5

Niji held up a hand to allow the colbri to perch on her wrist, there was the faintest pulse of reiatsu, and a colorful bloom appeared in her palm. The small bird was clearly delighted and began to feast on the nectar. The fullbringer smiled faintly as she answered the intruder, ”He very nearly was; when I arrived on the surface; completely paralyzed already, and the Vasto Lorde was still a good distance away. As to where he went after, he did ask me if I could help him in capturing an Adjuchas alive.”

The fullbringer closed her eyes for a half second, focusing on her reiatsu senses to see if she could sense any of the others in Haven. Even if he had been in the lab, she wouldn’t have sensed Takano, but Nezuel, Lazarus, or the others that Takano had recruited she had not met might have been detectable. She didn't sense anyone else.  In fact, she had not seen Nezuel since the spar, though; it did occur to her that he mentioned wanting to invite Irisa. In fact, in their first encounter he had asked for advice on what she now knew was to court this particular Shinigami.

She locked her gaze back on Irisa and shook her head, ”I refused. I try to stay out of spiritual conflicts unless the fate of my world happens to be at stake.”

Niji pulled a standard shinigami-issue spiritual phone from what appeared to be a purse made of a pitcher plant, though it was one of the older models. She read off Takano’s phone number, then nodded, ”Is there anything else, Miss Ishiwara?”

Last Edit: Oct 10, 2022 16:13:13 GMT -5 by Niji

Player

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Oct 11, 2022 14:34:13 GMT -5

Irisa Ishiwara

Tags:

"Well, that is good to hear," Irisa nodded in response to Niji's assurance that she did not help Takano capture an Adjuchas alive, like he requested. The Fullbringer reasoned her decision by saying that she does not intervene in the conflicts of the spiritual unless it is a worldwide emergency. That, too, was a reasonable decision, some of her kind were not as content with their role in society. "I would not say that it is a worldwide threat, but from what I understand of Takano's research, it can end very, very badly for a lot of people. No one who pursued his course of research has had a happy ending. That's one of the reasons why I am concerned about his disappearance. Who knows if it might already be too late?"

She did not know how Niji would take this warning - again, her relationship with Takano was still uncertain, and she did not appear to be all that welcoming of a Shinigami in this Haven. But, Irisa tried to speak genuine - and her and Takano's last conversation, all that he mentioned about bridging the gap between them and Hollows, trying to turn sentient Hollows into allies rather than enemies, still resonated in her mind.

As for anything else that might have been on her mind...

"That's all regarding Takano for now..." Irisa answered and bowed after writing down Takano's spirit phone number. "Again, I apologize for intruding here uninvited. I am curious, though, for personal reasons - you servant told me that you have allies among the Shinigami, correct? If you don't mind... whom specifically? Fighting together for the fate of the world, I presume?"

She folded her hands behind her back, with a faint, yet confident smile. "Related to one Muimina Hyakuji, perhaps?"

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Oct 11, 2022 16:09:35 GMT -5

Well, that settled that; she supposed, the woman certainly would not be willing to help Takano with his research. It sounded like she wanted to shut it down, be it for the man’s own safety or some other reason. But, the woman seemed well enough convinced that the man was no longer here, so she let the Shinigami continue with her next question.

Niji gave a slight nod, while she didn’t chat with many Shinigami, she had not asked the Vice Captain to keep their discussions any sort of secret. ”Yes, Vice Captain Muimina is among those I might consider allies. But I have not fought for the fate of the world with him at my side. We merely spoke at the same time I met Captain Tsukishima and Third Seat Hageshi.” She gestured upwards, past the glowing moss that mimicked sunlight in the cavern, ”On the surface, almost…half a year ago, perhaps?”

There was no particular reason to share additional information surrounding the capture of the Quincy that had killed the Captain’s son. She smiled warmly, ”The Vice Captain attempted to talk me into openly throwing my lot in with the Shinigami.  I remain independent.”

Tenshugo dissipated into glowing motes, scattering into the ambient reishi that suffused the area as Niji considered the young-looking woman in a Shinigami uniform.  Nezuel had mentioned that she was almost as old as he was, well over several centuries old, he had also mentioned he thought the woman might have been manipulating him.  Calm, unreadable blue eyes regarded Irisa, her voice never wavering from the cordial tone, ”But enough about me, what about yourself, Miss Ishiwara?  While I did not recognize you, the first time I heard your name was not on the lips of a Shinigami. You wear no indicator of rank on your uniform, but clearly you are confident enough in your abilities to enter the hidden domain of an unknown spiritual entity.”

The small bird fluttered off, and the flower rapidly aged to dust in her palm, which she simply let blow away.

Player

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Oct 12, 2022 15:15:11 GMT -5

Irisa Ishiwara

Tags:

So her suspicions were correct - Gaia was a part of the network in the World of the Living which her Vice-Captain has been fostering, and though she denied having thrown her lot with the Shinigami, she still expressed that Hyakuji was one of her friends in the spiritual world. Irisa noted this information to herself, answering Niji's explanation with a nod, then continued listening.

Apparently, in spite of being an intruder, Irisa has made herself interesting enough that Niji began asking questions about her. As it turns out, and as she has already suspected, the Fullbringer already knew of who she was and that there might be more to her than meets the eye, so, she wanted to get the information directly from the source.

Irisa nodded, with a smile, and began. "You observed correctly, I don't hold any rank in my Division in Soul Society, hence I have no badge to show you. I am merely an unranked Shinigami, and a teacher of Kido Arts in Shin'o Academy. Perhaps, with that in mind, it was a bit risky for me to come here - and yet, I've found a relatively friendly and polite owner here, we haven't come to blows thus far, so, it was hardly a mistake on my end, wasn't it?"

Well, that's not to say that she wasn't a little confident, but still.

"I'm a bit surprised to hear that you know of me already, I rarely go on missions with the rest of Gotei 13. When I first became a Shinigami, I realized that I was not cut out for battle, so, I have chosen to help future generations of Shinigami instead. That's how I originally met Takano, he was one of my students."

Irisa finished her sentence with a friendly wink. "Perhaps, in eighty years, I'll get to see you in the Academy halls as well. Hopefully, I'll still have something to teach you by then."

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Oct 12, 2022 17:44:09 GMT -5

Niji gave the small woman a slight smirk, ”We will not come to blows on my account; I have strictly forbidden fighting outside of the sparring grounds in this Haven. It would not do to break my own rules. Not that you have given me any reason to destroy you, Miss Ishiwara.”

She began scrutinizing the woman in front of her, everything from her reiatsu to her appearance and demeanor. Clearly the woman was suppressing her power, much like Niji was. Unfortunately, she was not skilled enough in sensing to determine her true strength, but the woman had been alive for a long time, and clearly enjoyed taking calculated risks. The odds of her being not cut out for battle, or as weak as she was pretending to be, seemed unlikely at best. Nezuel was worried about her being manipulative, treating his affection as a potential tool to use against his kind.

The fullbringer smiled at the wink and the Academy comment, the expression not reaching her eyes, and for a moment Niji looked far older than the quarter century of her life, ”Gods, I hope not. You are, what, half a millennium old?  Give or take a century or two?”

She gave a small shudder, ”I have lived enough lifetimes that I do not particularly relish the idea of starting another; particularly if my afterlife was just destined to be a soldier, or worse, wrapped up in bureaucracy and led by men of questionable morals.” Niji cut herself off of that line of thought, shaking her head, eyes looking slightly haunted, ”No, when my life in this realm reaches its end, I hope my spirit perishes shortly thereafter, and my essence can simply reenter the cycle.”

Last Edit: Oct 12, 2022 17:47:27 GMT -5 by Niji

Player

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Oct 14, 2022 5:10:14 GMT -5

Irisa Ishiwara

Tags:

It was not uncommon for mortals to believe that they did not actually want a peaceful afterlife, or that it would be too much for them to bear - perhaps not in the Shinigami sceptical way Niji chose to convey it as, but still. It was a symptom of the short term thinking of mortals, granted to them by their knowledge that their days in the world are counted. Irisa was not fazed by Niji's declaration, not even her statement of living multiple lifetimes, whatever that might have meant.

"There's no need to be so categorical. You are not the only one who thinks that - but entering a second life without any mortality or human concerns changes your perspective a lot. Even if you do not choose to become a Shinigami, Soul Society is a realm welcoming for you with eternal peace."

From Irisa's point of view, it was as if she was listening to a five year old girl certain that she does not want to ever grow up - quaint, but nothing more than that.

"And we Shinigami are not soldiers nor heartless bureaucrats. Do I look like one or the other?" she continued, briefly flashing a V sign with her fingers next to her head, with a smile. "Of course, looking from below might give you all a different perspective - but, we fulfill important jobs that leave us more in common than you might think. We both want a more peaceful, safer world, after all."