Rewind

Player

You fool! You fell right for my trap!

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Jan 14, 2023 12:26:30 GMT -5

Maria Tokareva

Tags:

Niji refused to give Maria the answer - this time hiding behind the fact that she promised to not reveal him to her, and that she was going to respect this promise even in the event of his death. Her excuses to keep Maria away from the truth had more believability to them this time, but this is all she took them as, excuses. After all, she has already barged into the life of more than one person in pursuit of the truth on Val's descent to madness, what is one or two more?

Regardless, Maria remained silent, merely glancing to the side during the lecture. What Niji went for next was unexpected, however. Suddenly, she asked Maria on her own relationships - that suddenly got her eyes to snap right towards the Fullbringer, and her to yell out:

"Hey, why are you so interested in that?! I'll-"

Realizing she was raising her voice, she stopped herself and retreated back to her chair, her expression turning a lot more gloomy than before.

"No, you're thinking too optimistic of me there... I don't have any such special somebody, in this dimension or the other one. I 'unno, I don't know if I'll ever be able to find one at all."

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Jan 15, 2023 0:43:31 GMT -5

Niji smiled softly, unable to help noticing the crinkle as Maria began to pout again. She shook her head, her voice patient but gently reproachful. ”Stop being dramatic.”

She leaned back in her own seat, crossing her arms in front of her, looking straight at Maria. Niji had had this conversation before, maybe not exactly like this, but similar enough, the twins coming into their abilities, concerned about their futures and boys (and girls).  Frankly, if she had took a moment to think about it, Niji might have been vaguely surprised how easily she slipped back into the role of elder sister giving advice on love life, ”Do you think I did not have thoughts like that when I was younger? I could see things no one else could. I could speak to animals, I could hear the voice of the planet. ‘No one knows what I have been through,’ ‘no one can relate to me,’ ‘maybe if I just hide who I am I can find someone who will accept me.’"

The Fullbringer waved her hand through the air, as if to dismiss the words that had just come from her mouth, ”Those thoughts are bullshit, Masha.”

For a few seconds, Niji was silent.  She had noticed her slip-up, but decided not to correct it, ”I can tell you are remarkably similar to the woman I called sister.”  She sighed, giving a slight shake of her head and almost muttering, ”At least, far more than I would have hoped, or perhaps dreaded.”

”But, to be frank, you can be a lot to handle. You are passionate, driven, capable, and stubborn as a damned mule. Finding a man that can handle someone like that is rare, but not impossible. You will find one eventually, or he will find you.”  

She gave a small shrug, ”Of course, being single also gives you more time to focus on yourself. At best, you are a year or two out of the Academy. Take some time to find yourself, figure out who you are, your new place in the world.”

Player

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Jan 15, 2023 12:33:48 GMT -5

Maria Tokareva

Tags:

Niji shot down Maria's lamenting - she declared that in spite of anything that she might worry over regarding her history of relationships, she was going to find someone eventually, it just might not be easy because she was not an easy person herself. It was something, but it didn't quite satisfy the woman. Still downcast and slumped in her seat, she mumbled:

"Of course. Everyone says that. But, well..." She wasn't sure how to describe what she thought. To be told that it was all just a matter of time was fine and all, but how does she build a lasting relationship? Or even find someone in a way that doesn't end like her swing at Hyakuji? That moment was so humiliating that it still returned to her, over and over again, reminding her of that failure. "...whatever."

Maybe another time.

Instead, Maria went for another approach to the conversation.

"This is the second time you called me "Masha" and didn't correct yourself, by the way," she confirmed, striking a faint, sly smirk and somewhat abandoning her poor mood from before. "Between that and all the parental mentoring, it's almost you want to be my big sister, too."

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Jan 15, 2023 13:10:42 GMT -5

”And yet…” Niji struck back with her own smirk, ”You have not asked me to not call you that.”

Given the shock of Maria’s initial reaction to the name, no one had probably called her that since she died.  Maybe she liked hearing the familiar name again, even if just from the mouth of a friendly stranger.

She shook her head, ”I am not looking to become your big sister. I have been told by a friend I just give off ‘strong onee-sama’ vibes; I imagine you are just getting a stronger dose because I was a big sister to someone very much like you. It is entirely possible we will never see each other again after today.”

Did she want that? Did Maria? Niji was still conflicted, separation would probably be better for her mental health, but it was so hard to accept that when the woman that was so much like her Masha was across from her. As for the Shinigami, Maria seemed more than willing to open up to her, but there could be any number of reasons for that, not all of them good.

Tracing idle patterns on the plate with a fry, the Fullbringer dropped her eyes, ”But…there are things that were left unsaid when the woman I knew was killed.  Things in my life that I should have done differently.  I wanted to know that you are doing okay; and if you were not, I wanted to help."

Last Edit: Jan 15, 2023 13:11:07 GMT -5 by Niji

Player

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Jan 16, 2023 16:24:03 GMT -5

Maria Tokareva

Tags:

"No, no, that's too formal, I'd say you are more of an onee-san type..." Maria briefly muttered under her breath, commenting on Niji's remark about how she was described as a big sister by someone already. Her tone was faintly mocking, though without any venom in her voice - it simply struck her very odd that someone would describe a person with anime tropes like that. Even she wasn't that deep down the rabbit hole - of course, she did not see herself as a weeb at all, so that was natural.

"Yeah, that's understandable..." she answered, in response to the Fullbringer's thoughts on how she wanted to connect to someone she was very familiar with and figure out whether she was okay. "I could be doing a little better, as you can tell, but, well, it certainly beats my time on Earth. Thanks for looking out for me, it's... always great to hear that someone cares for me a little."

Maria leaned forward, ever so slightly. "It will only be the last time we ever meet if you let it be, you know. I mean, I certainly wouldn't mind dropping by to hang out, every once in a while. On less tense circumstances than today, obviously," she continued. "Especially since, if you are here to help me - I want to help you, too. That offer is still on the table."

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Jan 17, 2023 8:15:49 GMT -5

Niji inclined her head slightly at the comment, it was not just Ryoga, of course. Though he was the only one that took it to be that she was basically family; she was a guardian of sorts to the entire little gang down in Haven. She had not really intended to become the provider of safety and sanctuary for anyone when she had started underground, but the spiritual world was a strange one. Though, she could not deny the pang of loss in her heart when she heard the term come from Maria’s mouth, ”I am not asking you to call me either.”

She took a bite of the fry she had been tracing around the plate, and gave Maria a warm smile, ”I consider that good news. Feeling vaguely adrift in life and minorly upset about your relationship status is just the normal human condition in your early twenties. But I am happy to be a shoulder to lean on or an ear to bend, should you need it.”

That being said, she was still not about to point Maria towards her major problems with Hibano or Virgil, so she shifted the subject a bit before Maria had the chance to pry, ”Of course…” Niji let out a slight laugh, ”...perhaps my partner can figure out some way to Skype you in for anime night.  I am sure you would have some recommendations.”

Player

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Jan 17, 2023 16:05:41 GMT -5

Maria Tokareva

Tags:

"God, don't make me have to download Skype again," Maria lamented in response to Niji. "But that sounds quite nice. You'll probably have easier access to all the newest shows than back there in Soul Society, too - I mean, you can imagine that few among us have the money and the required addresses on Earth to sign up for streaming subscriptions."

What a minute yet relevant problem. It was also not what Maria meant when she implied that she could help Niji, but it appeared that the Fullbringer was about as stubborn on this line as she was. In spite of her claiming that she recognized her arrogance when she tried to keep Maria ignorant of the truth about her relationship with her sister, she still was not going to let Maria get anywhere in danger, or tag along with her in any way.

Maria couldn't understand that. What's the point of having allies, allies like her, if all you do is try to hide them away from the challenges they might face?

But, oh well.

Holding her glass in her hand, Maria faintly twirled it from one side to another, letting the last remaining drops of coke slash about while she immersed herself in thought.

"Well, that was that. I'mma gonna have to return back to my journey after this. I'm still not satisfied, I have to know what happened to my sister, exactly - as you see," she stated, contemplative. "By any chance, do you happen to know something about this one... guy? I suspect he had something to do with my sister's fall to darkness, he calls himself "Virgil"."

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Jan 17, 2023 22:02:51 GMT -5

If this had been her Masha, the woman might have noticed the smallest of tells that indicated Niji was surprised by her words. As it was, the reaction was practically imperceptible, a flicker of surprise so suppressed that only Leon or her parents might have actually caught it. She had been ready for Maria to start prying on many things, but straight up name dropping Virgil was not precisely one of them. 

From the information she had gathered through various methods and intelligence gatherings, if Maria got anywhere near Virgil, she was as good as dead.  There had to be a way to dissuade her from that particular path of action; if Maria tried to storm the Red Lotus headquarters it would be suicide.  Of course, if Niji told her that she was, in fact, planning to assassinate the man, she would insist on joining in, and what she needed now was not a hotheaded Tokareva.

And, hopefully Tendo would convince her to stay out of it; and it gave her a convenient way to stay out of it.  The Fullbringer shook her head slowly, ”...Virgil? I think I heard the name recently.” Niji looked as though she was trying to recall something for a moment, then nodded, ”Ah, yes. Do you remember the man I mentioned earlier? Sadaharu Tendo?  I encountered him a few weeks back during some spiritual activity in Tokyo.  He mentioned that Virgil and Daisho were always trying to outdo his work.”

This was not without its risks, of course.  She had no idea where the mad scientist's true loyalties lie.  He might very well tell the psychopathic leader of the Red Lotus that he mentioned him to the pair.  It was a gamble she did not particularly want to take, but one she did not have a good alternative to, ”I did not ask him about it at the time, the situation did not allow for any sort of extended questioning. Once we finish up here, I can take us to his shop; he owes me some answers anyway.”

Last Edit: Jan 20, 2023 17:45:43 GMT -5 by Niji

Player

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Jan 18, 2023 17:04:38 GMT -5

Maria Tokareva

Tags:

Maria's words got Niji to make a slightly longer pause than she expected, but aside from that, the Shinigami did not suspect anything off her reaction. She told Maria that she had heard the name from Tendo, as it turns out, Tendo and Virgil were competitors of some sort, or maybe just acquaintances. Right as Niji stated that, she offered for both of them to go visit the shopkeeper, as supposedly, Niji had questions to ask him herself.

"Uhh... do we have to go there both at once...?" Maria muttered, her voice faintly concerned. She still remembered Tendo's request to her to keep his name off the hook, so wouldn't this kind of count as violating that promise? Technically, this was all Niji's initiative, but still... "I assume you're gonna be asking about something else entirely, and I wouldn't wanna give Tendo the wrong idea by bringing along a big sister to stand menacingly behind me..."

She articulated her last words with humorous sarcasm, just in case Niji were to think that she was actually describing Niji as a big sister now.

"At least, I hope you're not gonna be there to threaten him or somethin'. "Owes me answers" can mean a lot of different things, ya know."

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Jan 19, 2023 18:24:13 GMT -5

Niji shook her head, her voice was firm and uncompromising, ”Yes, we will go together. You should not go alone, particularly when asking about what befell your sister. Sadaharu Tendo is one of the most dangerous people on the planet, and one of the men directly responsible for what happened to Valentina.”

Sure, Niji had learned that the mad scientist had been the gun that Virgil had fired, practically an unknowing accomplice to his plan and the woman’s murder, but that didn’t change his role in it. She sighed, shaking her head, her voice relaxing a little,”I am not planning to threaten him, but he might be more willing to provide straight answers if both of us are there at the same time. I am not the type to…” Niji gave a slight smirk to the Shinigami, ”...how did you put it? Beat the truth out of him?

The Fullbringer gave a shrug, ”Besides, if I understand the situation right, the man is an ally of the Shinigami.  He is more likely to provide me answers if he knows I am not about to kill every one I see on sight, you provide that proof.  On that note, outside of you and a few people I deeply trust, no one knows what Valentina did to me, I would prefer to keep it that way.”

Niji flagged down their waiter as he passed, ”I think we are ready for the check.” She paused for a moment, glancing to Maria, ”I suppose unless you want to get dessert first.”

Player

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Jan 20, 2023 10:58:39 GMT -5

Maria Tokareva

Tags:

Niji may have tried to present him in more acceptable light, but it became clear that she really did not like Tendo - her description of him was almost vitrolic. How else could you describe saying that someone was "one of the most dangerous people on the planet"? Especially when you're not exactly without suspicion yourself. At minimum, it explained why Tendo did not want to be mentioned to Niji, there was something before that caused a rift between them.

"But you said he was tricked, right?" Maria suddenly brought up what she recalled the Fullbringer say from before. That also tracked with the story of the events she heard back in Gotei 13. Yet, here Niji was, stating that Tendo was dangerous. Before Maria could fully explain where she was going with this, Niji offered for them to start heading out, unless she went for dessert. "-oh, no, I'm good. I'd go for dessert normally, but maybe not this time."

Her focus was towards Niji, and she had an inquisitive expression on her face. "So what's the story there? Who was it that tricked Tendo to turn my sister into... that? If he was tricked, why do you call him so dangerous anyway?"

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Jan 21, 2023 6:55:06 GMT -5

Fuck.

Niji did not clearly remember what she had told Maria; but she had said something like that, didn’t she? That Valentina had been betrayed and Sadaharu Tendo had been tricked. This was very dangerous ground for both of them.  Best to answer the question without really answering it.  Hopefully the mad scientist would see a good reason not to tell Maria too much about Virgil and the Red Lotus.  She had gone this long, been moving pieces around the board, without even being noticed by the Red Lotus, much less Virgil.  Literally no one even knew she knew anything about Virgil.

She shook her head, ”Sadaharu Tendo had the ability to turn your sister into a being that could potentially destroy all of reality. Even if he was a good man, which I have no reason to believe is the case, that amount of power is dangerous. The man is a loaded gun, and just because he answers to the Shinigami at the moment does not mean he will not misfire again.”

She took the opportunity to take the receipt from the waiter, one of the fancy new ones with a QR code that allowed you to just pay from your phone. Niji took the opportunity to change the subject as she pulled out her own mobile and lined up the camera, making a show of rolling her eyes as she tapped through the prompts.

”As many times as I come here, I will never understand American tipping culture.”

Last Edit: Jan 21, 2023 6:56:00 GMT -5 by Niji

Player

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Jan 22, 2023 7:00:43 GMT -5

Maria Tokareva

Tags:

"What's there to not understand? Seems fairly clear cut to me," Maria answered Niji's comment on tipping in American restaurants with a shrug. She knew that the establishments here made it practically mandatory to offer something to your waiter - the bars she worked in as a side job right before her death were slowly adopting a similar culture. "It's plausible deniability when you squeeze your workers and pay them like crap - you should know, shouldn't you? All of your people use the same methods."

Even when she briefly moved her attention towards scathing remarks on restaurants and business methods, Maria did not forget what she was asking - and she did not miss that Niji did not answer one of her two questions at all. She briefly covered up her remarks on Tendo by describing him as a loaded gun with a dangerous amount of power, but... she mentioned nothing about who tricked him.

Or betrayed Val, for that matter.

What was going on here?

"You still haven't answered everything, by the way," Maria brought it up again. "Who was it that Tendo got tricked by? What did you mean by that? Don't tell me you're hiding something from me again, Niji..."

Player

Fullbringer

I have nothing to say.

Niji Avatar

Niji

Post by Niji on Jan 22, 2023 10:58:20 GMT -5

Niji smiled faintly at Maria; for being a global operation, the Hikari ranches didn’t actually employ all that many people. While the ranching and production was hard work, the men and women that worked the farms were well paid. The whole point of the luxury meat was that the cows lead fairly stress free lives, and having stressed employees did not contribute to that. Hell, most of them worked fewer hours than the folks in accounting, marketing, or operations, but even those divisions had high job satisfaction and practically no turnover.

But none of that was important, of course; odds are Maria was just trying to get a rise out of her, possibly trying to fish for more information about who she actually was. She had told the woman remarkably little; but she also hadn’t really asked much. And then, of course, she decided to keep prodding at the question about the mad scientist and how Niji knew what she knew.

The check being paid, Niji stood up and gestured for Maria to do the same. She feigned indignation at the insult to her business practices and shook her head at the woman, ignoring the second question entirely, ”I am not running some soulless American megacorp, Masha.  It has been in my family for centuries, and we employ a little under a thousand people, most of whom I know personally.  The business is fairly specialized, so we try to keep people around; that’s not done by squeezing and crap treatment.  Maybe someday I will show you.”

She shook her head and began to walk out of the restaurant, ”Come on, I will take us to Sadaharu Tendo’s shop.”

Player

Hequita Avatar

Hequita

Post by Hequita on Jan 22, 2023 13:32:18 GMT -5

Maria Tokareva

Tags:

Maria merely rolled her eyes at Niji's defense of her business practices. Of course, every business owner wanted to present themselves as the one good employer, one who merely provides an acceptable living to their employees and does not abuse them, or anyone else. In the same vein, every mafiya boss and protection racket in the Moscow underground introduced themselves as merely providing a service and protecting those establishments which pay up from the chaos in the run down poor districts. It was all the same self-justifications and window dressing.

But she was not here to talk about how much she detests those parts of her former mortal life. Yet again, Niji ignored Maria's question, and was already rushing to bring them both to Tendo's shop. Knowing that it was on the other side of the planet from Las Vegas, she must have some sort of way to transport them there instantly - not unless they were going to board a plane for several hours.

Maria wasn't having it. They were not done here, yet.

Suddenly, much like the first time she got irritated by Niji's noncommittal answers, she grabbed the Fullbringer by the shoulders, though she didn't lift them up to the sky this time.

"Who was Tendo tricked by?" she repeated her question, more slowly. "Are you going to answer or should I let Tendo explain that himself?"

Perhaps that will put some pressure on her to respond, if she truly was hiding something.